Drews tune...

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by slowwrx, Jun 5, 2009.

1. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

he is. i will let him post up. i will say nice though.

2. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

I'll let Ball fill everybody in, he has more of the technical data.

I will say dyno'ing with 115 degree ambients is not fun. We had to take two breaks because the car kept overheating. It was hotter than two hells outside yesterday...

3. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

We kind of finished up yesterday, Dan finished up the tune that we are going to take it to Little Tally with which is the important one. Its a little rich and its a little short on timing but its still really fast. Hopefully we can get it back in the shop after the track day and get some real power numbers when its not 115 degrees.

When all was said and done even with the temps outside and it being a little rich it still made 389whp on 20.5lbs. So I would say when the temps come down to a reasonable level and Dan turns the boost up to 22lbs it should make the 425 whp Drew wanted.

4. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Sounds like it's making the same power as a GT35R. And from what you guys are saying spools a tad better.

5. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

Is Dan coming to the track day??? That would be awesome to see him out there.

Siegel

6. slowwrx

On the dyno in 4th it makes peak torque between 3800 and 4000. On the street it feels like its a bit sooner, Ill try and log a couple of pulls. It also sounds insane, I don't know why these sound so different than other turbos but its just plain mean

7. slowwrx

He said if he couldn't drift he didn't want to come...lol

8. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

What happened to making 390whp on 12psi?

9. 07Ltd#767

we had the vacuum emissions thing unplugged and it was causing the ECU to read 6lbs lower than actual. Apparently on the '07's you have to ground out the ECU pin for that stupid worthless POS. The 390 was at 18lbs, not 12

10. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Not bashing this a bit and you are making nice power for how hot it was but I'm not really seeing any advantage over a Tial GT35R ;)

11. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I never thought this kit was comparing to a 35R. This is a smaller turbo than the 35R...The 6262 would be a better comparison to a 35R. Hopefully I will have my full v-band 6262 installed soon, right Matt:)

12. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Matt kept telling me.....spools like a GT30R, makes more power than a GT35R. That's where that is coming from ;)

13. integroid

I am sure it will make more power than my car if the conditions were the same. I bet my car will not make 380whp right now in this gawd awful heat.

14. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

But you don't have a GT35R. You have the poor man's GT35R aka t3/t04s. Two totally different animals.

15. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

6262 is a lot bigger then a 35R

16. slowwrx

It never made 390whp at 12 psi, it actually made 390whp at about 21 psi on the AVCR...it was kind of a running joke because on the 07s apparently if you disconnect the vaccum pump it cant see the barometric pressure sensor, so it was reading low. I thought I made a post about no magic turbos. I guess I shouldn't have messed with everybody about it so much...apparently there were a lot of people that thought that was for real.

I don't really know how you could see an advantage I haven't even posted a dyno chart...lol

Turns out Precision was right it spools faster than my GT30R did and it makes more power I'm not sure why you don't think there is an advantage. Oh and its cheaper than doing a tial housing on a GT35R.

I may see if Drew and Dan want to strap the car down late tonight after it cools off.

17. slowwrx

Except his seems to make more power on pump than most 35R setups do.

18. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

How much is just the turbo with the tial housing?

19. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

GT35r setups and Tial GT35R setups are two different things.

20. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

are there any real testing been done on Tial 35r housing yet? Let alone on the subaru, if not get out of this thread and allow Ball and Drew post/share their results without raining on their parade, at least for once anyways lol.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  21. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I'm researching and gathering info so chill man. :coolugh:

Ball through me way off base with that original post :rofl: I had much higher expectations than needed.

22. slowwrx

The only real data I have seen on the Tial housings has been on Dougs 08 which is a totally different animal and on Lucy which again is a totally different beast than Drews car.

23. UpSideDownDesi

UpSideDownDesi Active Member

390whp at 21psi (safe tune mine put almost same down with less mods?), was that the final tune or is this beast putting even higher numbers now? At what rpm does it hit full boost (21psi)?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  24. Doug@DBW Motorsports

So is this car getting a built motor now?

25. UpSideDownDesi

he's going all out or motor crapped?

26. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Put a rod through the top of the block at little Tally... or so I thought.

I could be wrong though.

27. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

If that is true that flat out sucks.

28. Ben@TTR

Ben@TTR Member

damn that's awful.....i don't wish that shit on anyone.

29. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Especially after just getting a turbo kit installed and tuned.

30. UpSideDownDesi

I hope not if so that royally sucks, man his car went through a lot.

31. 07Ltd#767

this is true...I was holding it in until we finalized what I'm going to do, but we had the infamous oil pick-up tube failure. Happened halfway through the third lap there...on the first session...not my best track day, that's for damn sure. $150 for 2 1/2 warmup laps, plus towing fees, plus a new motor. Most expensive track day for me thus far...time to build it bigger and better.

motor's being torn down as we speak, but plan now includes a built bottom end short block, most likely with version 8 heads, 262 cams, and an accusump oil system. stock ecu is gone, most likely going with AEM.

and before anyone starts in - THIS HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TUNE. Scott even said (he was there when it happened) you can't tune a rod through the top of the block. Moderators, if this turns into a drama thread, please delete it.

32. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

That sucks dude, but I can't wait to see what you and matt come up with next.

And I will keep an eye on this thread.

33. UpSideDownDesi

damn that sucks, but bigger and better sounds like a great plan.

Are all subarus oil pick up tubes prone to fail or is just certain year?

Why do u think this will turn into a drama thread? Not everyone here is drama creator ;), well not until i make a thread haha.

GL with motor build, keep us posted.

34. 07Ltd#767

:rofl:

Yeah, all subarus have them and they all suck. If you go back to that KillerB group buy thread, EVERYONE needs to get this. I know Batlground said they will no longer tune subarus that don't have an upgraded oil pickup line. If you also check that thread, I think I said something like 'everyone should get this' - mainly in response to the best track day ever...

situation = poop, but I knew it wasn't if but when. My journal entry will be updated with pictures...I have a nice pretty hole about 2"x6" on the top of my block where you can look down and see the rod for cylinder 2. It broke the pin at the piston and shot it straight through the block. It's actually pretty cool, you know, except for the fact that it's my motor and all...

35. integroid

Sorry to hear that Drew. Best of luck on getting everything worked out. It is going to be a fun journey.

36. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Oh man this sucks! I hope the EJ205 lasts (they have been known to break as well but not as much as the 2.5L cars). I've already promised to get the killerb oil pan and the pickup tube when I get the 2.5L in.

Did your heads get totally trashed as well? I'd imagine they did.

37. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

why version 8 heads? just for the bigger ports? did your heads survive?
    last I checked people wanted $TEXAS for the v8 heads, for no good reason really. sure, the ports are bigger but you can get them ported bigger for less. not to mention the cam sensor crap you have to deal with

38. slowwrx

Yep shitty situation, should be really sick with a built motor

39. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

v8 heads are AVCS so the sensor issue shouldn't be an issue...right?

40. slowwrx

haven't pulled the heads yet, I would guess that they got trashed.

There are no cam sensor problems with an AEM and Version 8 heads, its a simple change of the sensor from falling edge to rising edge.

The version 8 heads flow much better than the STI heads.

41. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Sorry to hear this drew. Any pics of the broken sump tube and damage?

42. slowwrx

Ill snap some pics tomorrow, we were going to finish tearing it a part tonight but we are both busy so its going to have to wait.

43. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Drew you ought to get the killerb oil pan while you are at it with it's 6 qt capacity.

Wait a min.......accusump will exceed what the oil pan can give you right?

44. slowwrx

He will be doing a Pan as well, the accusump is just a precaution in case you uncover the pickup. It will most likely be the KillerB Pan

45. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Cool....i need to research what an accusump actually is.

46. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Ok it is what I thought it is. But it is only manual isn't it? You have to manually turn it on right?

47. slowwrx

His will have the electronic valve on it.

48. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

defeats the purpose if it's manual, unless you're using it for pre-startup lubrication. it will basically act as an oil/hydraulic accumulator in drew's case

49. slowwrx

You could use a manual one but you would have to open and close it everytime you stopped the car.

50. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

Have you seen that it was a pickup-tube failure? All the PUT failure's we've seen killed big-end bearings. The only way we've seen the rod ripped out of the piston is massive over-revs...

Siegel