dyno day @ topspeed: 10/15

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by miloman, Aug 31, 2005.

1. BlueBox

BlueBox Member

How was the turn out? Dyno numbers?

2. STiLLsLow

STiLLsLow Member

Pretty big turn out. Great food and a lotta nice cars. My 05 100% stock STi put down 268 whp and 278 ft/lb tq. im sure a lot more people will chime in tonight...there still havin fun there!

3. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

My WRX put down 246hp/270lbft. It was a blast, and yes the food was quite tasty!

4. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

great turnout, lots of hawt rides, good food, and a great group of people to hang out iwth as always. I put 220awhp and 230awtq w/o ecutek. I want engine management so bad now. Was good to see everyone and thanks to the Doug, Trey and everyone at topspeed for throwing a great dyno day! also thanks to all the WRXatlanta members who came out and threw some support for a wicked good turnout. Ill post picks tonight.

o yea Scott 1ll-wrx put down some pretty wicked numbers maybee he will post his dyno sheet...... :keke:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2005
  5. dlowman

dlowman Member

Sorry i couldnt give rides this time guys. I had to rush home.

6. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

was fun... my car didnt make pretty numbers on the dyno... 266 hp and 263 lb-ft... on the way back home it felt real fast though :D

7. CROSSeyed

CROSSeyed Member

I was really pleased to get 265hp/275tq... I honestly thought it was going to be less... after 4000 miles, it doesn't "feel" as fast as when it was new... guess I'm getting numb butt. Good to see STiLLsLow's numbers were in line, but kinda kills my and WeaponWRX's theory that Suby tweaked the ECU on the 06. Big thanks to Doug and the Topspeed guys, and everyone else that helped make this happen.

8. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

Well apparently my car is a freak just like Crosseyed's and StillSlow's. With just a catback and a perrin drop in filter I put down 214whp and 224 lb/ft. Needless to say, I was shocked.....and very happy.

Thanks for putting on this awesome dyno day Topspeed

9. bambooi

bambooi Member

good numbers for real

Nice number on the 05 and 06 stock sti's!

10. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

it was a fun time :)
    Giovanni is a great cook too

11. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

Hey Milo get a new ringtone! haha

12. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

A big 268.30 / 270.62 for a stock sti .. woo hoo

13. RADON

RADON Member

It was fun, but numbers seemed low for us LGT 5EAT'ers.
    230/237

What's interesting though is a another 5EAT LGT that was Protuned by PDX up in the Northeast put down 240/330 with an UP/DP/Stock catback/Maddad headers.

14. Genya

Genya No Longer Up At Odd Hours

Had fun seeing you all! Was perfect weather and thanks for hosting us.

15. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Am i the only one noticing the excessively high #'s from topspeeds dyno? :(

16. STiLLsLow

STiLLsLow Member

shhh dont tell anyone...i like my numbers!: )

17. CROSSeyed

CROSSeyed Member

I don't think so... when I was there, seemed most cars actually made less than people expected (seemed like the modded but un-tuned were lower???)

18. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Are you joking, 260 whp and 270 wtq out of stock sti...that is INSANE, and yet you have two basically stock sti's putting down those numbers. Last i recalled, the average on the net was around 230-240 whp...wich makes since becuase when i raced one with my 230 whp...i was dead even with him.

240 whp and 270 wtq on a stock turbo wrx, thats pretty damn high.

I dont mean to step on any toes here, just noteing... the more i see numbers from their dyno, the bigger grain of salt i will take with reading each number. Not that numbers matter anyway right? Lets see what the cars run at the track.

19. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

i think it has something to do with more compression stock on the 05 models. I put down 195.54/201.42 on my stock 05 wrx with 2000 miles on it.

20. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Btw- the sti i raced was an 05. He held up just as well as the stock 04 sti i raced.

Again, not wanting to step on any toes or try and diss on Topspeed(they rock!)...just observing. I mean you have basic 20g set-ups at topspeed making 350whp on pump gas, yet elsewhere you have similar 20g set-ups running meth/alky injections making almost identical #'s.

I think a 1/4 track will reveal true hp a bit better ;).

21. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

i dunno i think they are pretty good numbers they were set for us....you also have to understand that topspeed has one of the best AWD dynos in the country. Batlgrounds isnt even as nice. Track numbers really dont say much IMO, subarus were made for turns and rally not riding straight. Dont get me wrong its fun and all racing down the track but i would rather take her to an auto x track and put her towards whats shes meant for.

22. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Totally agreed on the auto-x/track comments. But as far a power, there are obviously higher and lower reading dynos all across the states(though mostly read lower). Im willing to put a solid bet that niether sti as previously mentioned in this thread will trap any faster then 103 mph with a good driver behind the wheel(where as their hp suggests they will trap closer to 106mph). The majority of the ecutek'ed, stock turbo sti's on nasioc dyno in at an average of 280 whp(these are tuners such as harman and pdx...so they know their stuff).

Do you catch my drift...im just trying to establish a fact that topspeeds dyno reads higher then most. This is not a bad thing, just something i think a person should know. So we know subies dyno in higher then average on their dyno(i dynoed 230 whp and 240 wtq with my cobb stg 2..which again, is a good bit higher then average).

What kind of throws me off, is that i was there for the evo dyno day. All of them were putting down pretty average numbers...my bro's cammed evo put down 330 whp and 327 wtq. Those numbers are pretty consistent on the evo boards.

23. CROSSeyed

CROSSeyed Member

It's all relative anyways... right. I would only compare same vs. same dyno runs, and if you have +20hp after modding/tuning, its measureable improvement. I think Milo's car was close to what it made when it was on the SoG dyno (within 5%??? Margin of error/atmospheric differences??? (It was some outstanding air quality today... my run was at %30 humidity or something)).

But I see what you mean and agree that all dyno's are different and NaCl should be taken.

24. STiLLsLow

STiLLsLow Member

So who else had a great time?! i sure did...Dan's 550 whp on C16 was the highlight of my day, also when i hadta head out! and Topspeed runnin 2 hours ahead of schedule was a nice surprise too!

25. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

Topspeed's dyno is usually within 1.5 to 2% of our Dynapack, which I know to be within 1.5 or 2% of Balanced's Dynojet, and almost identical to Knowledge's Dynapack....

The Cobb Stage II is a TBE and reflash, so 230 whp and 240 wlb-ft is darn good, but not necessarilly "wrong." Good gas, cool intercooler, happy car, good day...

SS

26. AthensWRX

AthensWRX Member

i'm happy! leak time!

27. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

although i was not there i would have to agree with WRboXer. last dyno day i put down 204/211 with catback and gutted UP WRX and everyone was surprised and even thought i may have some sort of EM. For stock WRX numbers to be so high is kinda fishy.

28. bambooi

bambooi Member

After the dyno day today and taking my wrx to the track I have to agree that topspeed's dyno is a high reading dyno. 274awhp with only a 105 trap? That doesn't sound like 274 awhp. Sounds like 250 in my opinion. Dyno's are really used as a tool for tuning. Track numbers tell all. I also agree with wrboxer that these sti's won't trap over 104.

Autoxing a wrx that is stock is terrible. The car understeers like crazy and the turbo lag is terrible. Most of the time you are stuck in 2nd gear at low rpms b/c the car is a pain in the butt to gear down to 1st gear which is too high. Most courses are a 2nd gear course anyways.

Good numbers for everyone though. Back on topic.

29. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

Here are some of my pics.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

my car^ first run 170... second run 171... oh look, you dont' have a restricter in your vacume tube... *insert* third run 212.8!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2005
  30. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Looks like fun guys. :)

31. chuglobal

chuglobal Member

Yo

It was fun meeting everyone. :cool:

32. wrx ky

wrx ky New Member

I wanted to come down there, but I have been stuck working both Saturdays and Sundays. I was able to finally get somebody to trade for next weekend for an AutoX fun day, but no one wanted to trade this weekend. I'm glad you guys had a good turnout.
    I have an estimated 240-250 whp on stock turbo, but no AWD Dynos in my area, so I don't have any true numbers.

33. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

actually mine read a lot lower than expected... i dyno'd ~276/277 when completely heat soaked and at lower boost... then on the road, we added 2 psi, more timing and leaned it out a little... at every stage, the car felt much faster on the road but the dyno numbers say otherwise

some people were real happy with their numbers... others were pretty disappointed... at the end of it all, its just a number...

34. Suby1128

Suby1128 Member

I put down 227/224 I think, I'll edit when I get back to my house and look at the sheet. Decided to spend the night at GT last night. Also, I was running sort of lean.

Craig

35. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

my car reads lower then other NA 2JZs with same/similar mods (dynoed on the same one) *shrugs*. And I pass up some of those cars now.

36. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

Yeah I wouldnt necessarily say that the dyno is reading high. I put down 214/224 with just a catback and dropin filter, and just a few cars before me, bigb996 put down 219/229 catless with a turbo inlet. So either his car is a dog, or mine is a factory freak, but the dyno isnt reading high.

37. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

probably a dog, guy that had it before me had a lot of stuff done to it. Wish he had ketp the stuff on it it to. I read the mod list after i bought it and i would be putting like 250awhp easily with stock turbo if i had them. bummer hehe.........I know my car is worth more than what it put down, my exhaust has a small leak i think at the Downpipe turbo connection maybee needs new gasket, and i need to put the headshielf back on the turbo. I should be in the 220's area i think.

38. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

Sorry i missed out ( an 8 hour drive down from school wasn't going to work) but it looks like it was a blast. Are all the pictures going to be posted here or another thread?

Will

39. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

heres some of my pics......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

40. TheJ

TheJ Supporting Member

The numbers are what they are...

As I'm sure you're aware, there are many variables that can effect the exact power a car produces at any given time. I am not an expert on dynos but I was there and while some people were happily surprised by there numbers, it seemed many were about as expected. Mine actually dropped a little from my previous dyno. However, the porkchops they made were great.

41. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

We were just as shocked by those numbers as you are... we usually see around 240-250hp with the stock sti's.
    As for our numbers reading high... I don't think so. Mike K. Dyno's 350hp runs 114mph at the track... ok sounds right... I dyno'd 380hp in my sti ran 117mph at the track... still sounds right... Val dyno'd 330hp and runs 112mph at the track.... seeing a pattern here. I do, not believe that our dyno reads higher than any other Dynojet... Maybe if your putting down alot of power and not running the times you feel you should be, you need to take some driving lessons. I had a customer last week who went to the track and was upset because he couldn't run the times he felt his car should do. His best mph was 112mph which seemed low for the power his car dyno'd.. So I took his car down the track, My first pass was 118mph... right on par for what his car was dyno'ing.

Doug

42. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

Also I wanted to thank everyone who came out saturday... I have a ton of pictures that I will post monday.

43. Trey

Trey Active Member

Thanks again Doug, Giovanni, Tray and Will for the kickass dyno day. You guys have it down to a science. I was skeptical thinking you guys could get the cars on and off so quickly but damn you guys are good. :p Food was pimp too.

Oh and my wife never complained once about being bored! You guys are doing something right. ;)

44. psychobooe

psychobooe New Member

Big thanks to everybody at TopSpeed. I drove 4 hours from Columbus, MS and it was totally worth it. My Stage 2+ 02 WRX put down 234/244 and I am very pleased with the numbers. Thanks again.

45. j69raw

j69raw Member

Thanks, to everyone at Topspeed, for one of the best dyno days, I've had! It was nice meeting all of you, who attended, now I can put some faces with screen names!

And for the people that think the numbers are inflated, somehow, I had the lowest hp (258.45) of any STi there, even the 100% stock ones and I have a turbo back and HKS filter, so explain that!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  46. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

i think you were just unfortunate john....but you know what that means right? time for ecutek and more goodies:)

btw eveyrone post your pics

47. CROSSeyed

CROSSeyed Member

I think there was another nearly stock 05 STI there that was in the 250's.

48. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

I believe M-Chans was about the same numbers as j69raw's

49. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

yea meredith only has an intake

50. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

Is that the HKS short ram? If so, that could actually be hurting you...

SS