ebay intercoolers

Discussion in 'General Community' started by moose, Nov 8, 2005.

1. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Tempted to try one of the ebay TMICs... other than fitment issues (which can be resolved) it seems as if they're not half bad. Anybody here have experience with 'em?

2. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

personally, i wouldnt buy an unbranded critical component like an IC off ebay... most of them are cheap knockoffs that look pretty on the outside... some things to consider:

1) material quality: can affect cooling ability, heat soak, etc.
    2) flow properties and pressure drop: might make ur setup very inefficient

call me a brand whore but i'd rather spend some extra money on something i believe took some amount of engineering to make

3. rolling_trip

rolling_trip Active Member

^^^i agree with the brand whore

4. blink

blink Member

you whore

5. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

what do you mean by "brand whore?" :ugh:
    [​IMG]

6. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

i agree too intercooler is very critical part of the wrx.

7. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

damn that chick has some pretty skin

8. Goose013

Goose013 Member

read nasioc, they have some good articles on the ebay IC, they actually tested some. I don't trust em' myself, but then again I don't trust anyone

9. Goose013

Goose013 Member

AIRBRUSH!...prob. a burn victim in real life :eek2:

10. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

i just want some ice cream now :dunno

11. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

go check out www.bellintercoolers.com they seem like a pretty nice company and can make you what ever you want for a decent price.

Alex

12. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

FYI, there are only a few intercooler core manufacturers. there are a limited number of companies that make the cores and they distribute them to other manufacturers that do they end takes and pipings. i have had VERY good luck with buying cores from ebay and fabricating the rest of the kit from scrtach. now i say this and they've been used on many different cras, from 700 whp supras to custom turbo'd gs400's.
    don't slip or underestimate no-name brand intercoolers.

13. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Yerrow, mind sharing some more information? I've read through the NASIOC threads, and it seems pretty promising.... any experiences with WRX specific ICs?

14. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

like i mentioned before, there maybe about are about 5 or 6 main intercooler producers. they make the "cores" not all the full kits. companies like turbo xs, perrin, cobb, etc. don't produce their own cores. they buy cores and produce "kits" with the piping and whatnot. of course there are variances in types like bar/plate, tube/fin, and pressure drops within similar brands of cores. but for the most part, comparing like cores to like cores of same sizes and same number of rows, there won't be all that many differences in pressure drop ( the thing most people are concerned about).

pretty much any time an intercooler doesn't fit well is the company that makes the "kits" fault and not the "core" companies' fault.

i wouldn't hesitate in buying a no-name intercooler from the internet. if i where to weigh the pro's/cons between buying a full kit against buying a core and having everything fabbed, many of the times i have suggested fabbing everything if the price were right on the core.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2005
  15. bambooi

bambooi Member

i know of a guy that had a turboxs fmic on his wrx. He got his sti and bought the ebay fmic and the quality is just as good. He only had to buy an elbow which was mentioned in the ebay description.

16. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

Steer clear of the cheap ebay intercoolers...most of them lack the required amount of fins inside the core to actually cool the air. Even though they are large the air passes through the core too quickly and doesn't cool the charge. While they may look good on the outside, its the inside fins that make the most difference in both cfm and efficency.

Doug

17. blink

blink Member

yeah that skin is 'too' perfect, who notices something like that? 8]