electronic display gauges/ carputers/ Greddy Informeter Touch/ PLX DM-200 OBD2

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by motomark, Jun 24, 2010.

1. motomark

motomark Loudest fuel pump Tucker Supporting Member

Anybody running a carputer to drive gauges via OBD2 links on a touchscreen? Put in a 7" touch screen, a carputer and run Palmer Performance software (DashCommand/ScanXL) and you can design a custom gauge set.

I love this custom DashCommand screen.
    http://www.dashxl.net/screenshots/47.png
    I would probably run wideband AFR/boost/oil pressure/oil temp/coolant temp, but this is what is possible with the Palmer software running on a carPC, so you get the idea.

a much simpler but still expensive option is this... Greddy Informeter Touch (6 minute video- but this thing has great flexibility in selecting parameters, and how you decide to display them, plus logging ability)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT3aRjrN45E
    I really like that you can select low and high thresholds and you get visual and/or audible warning when outside set parameters. You can add on 3 external sensors, plus all OBD2 transmitted data. Usually I think Greddy is overpriced, but I have been unable to find any other plug-n-play options as nice as the Greddy. I confirmed through Greddy tech support that the Informeter Touch will display but not datalog the LC-1 wideband. Honestly, I'm not that interested in the datalogging.

Why am I looking at all this expensive shit? ProSports/Maddad/Gloshift/Stri all appear to have less than ideal quality control (STRI might be a bit better-maybe). The first time an oil pressure gauge goes to 0 and I train my wife to immediately pull over and it turns out to be a POS sender, I lose all credibility because I saved $200??? cheap-o gauges only work if you stare at it constantly, if you tell me you check your oil pressure gauge every 7 seconds on a roadtrip, I'm calling you a liar...

Defi Advance CR is really nice but 3 gauges plus controller is like $1000 (WTF?) I have limited real estate available in the car, I do not want f'ing gauge pods all over the place. I am wanting something to mount where my ashtray is that will have all kinds of warnings since it will be out of direct line of sight and my wife will be driving as often as I do. Basically it needs to be semi-idiot proof (no I am not inferring my wife is an idiot- that'd be me).

The PLX stuff is pretty nice and they have a good rep for quality, but the gauges are like 120x80 pixel. they get the job done, but the interface is just not as slick as the Greddy (not by a longshot).

So to review: Must include: 1. AFR 2. Boost 3. Oil pressure
    * OBD would be nice for things like inj duty/coolant temp/oil temp/intake temp/etc
    * must have adjustable warning for low/high prefer visual and audio (i.e alarms if oil pressure drops below 15psi)
    * must take up limited real estate

Open to any other suggestions. Thoughts???

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Defi costs money because it is the best. Their senders are...the best. :) You could probably mount three 60mm gauges in a custom setup beneath a single din radio if you really wanted to.

3. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I have a Carputer and have a Tactrix Cable running from the OBD II port to the Computer. I have a Gauge program but it is not very good. For the good gauges I would need to buy a $300 OBD II cable that is compatible with the Subaru ECU.

4. motomark

5. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Looks like that will work with elm 327 interface as well. I got one for my wife's car for like $30 shipped on ebay. I think they even have bluetooth versions of the elm's device so no need to run a cable to your computer.

6. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I downloaded the Palmer software yesterday and have been playing around with it on my Home PC. I will transfer it over to my car this weekend and see what happens, but I think it is just a Mock program until I buy a license for. Definitely looks interesting.

When I get home will have to download JDash and see how that is. Would definitely like something better than the program I am using now. And if it is free that is even better.

7. tolnep

tolnep Member

been down this road partway...

i have the palmer stuff. not really impressed. i have not updated or checked for updates from palmer in several months though. best thing i can say about it is i can check all my ready codes for emissions.

the displays are limited to 'generic' unless you have one of their target market cars. the displays are 'sluggish' or 'jerky'. at least for me and im running them on a workstation class laptop.

i didnt know it at the time, but the subaru specific stuff you might really be interested in are not found in palmer. apparently there are 'generic' obdbII messages and manufacturer specific messages.

having said all of that.. i have cobb APv2 and access tuner race, and i have tactric 2.0 cable and romraider. I use romraider and tactrix for logging and views. the stuff available on romraider is more valuable to me than odbii stuff. i can see fuel trims, boost, water temp and a bunch of stuff. i can show realtime gauges and/or graphs to show trends.

i've seen one or two posts on nasioc where folks have built in car carputers and used romraider for info. this is the way i would go. if i wanted to go farther, i would add some innovate probes and software, most likely a 4 probe EGT setup. but you can place temp probes anywhere, temp readings at various intake locations might be interesting.

about defi. i guess its the best. but for almost 1000 i can do more with a laptop and probes. the only thing i really want at this point that i dont have is an oil pressure guage.

i would suggest you google around. innovate makes some cool stuff, romraider of course, cobb with access tuner race, you can run the dashboard, and check PLX devices.

i have a couple of things others might find useful.. an odbII extension cable and an odbII y cable. i also have a gamber-johnson (makes in car setups for EMS and cop cars) removable laptop mount which is very useful for tuning.

8. motomark

holy crap even better

http://www.mympgtracker.com/ecutracker/index/

developed by the same guy who did JDash and has SSM experience...

ECU Tracker- runs in Java environment- OBDKey in UK makes a BT OBD dongle- BT phone running Java pulls data stright from the dongle!!!

hoping I can run it on my WM6.5 Samsung Omnia

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/eng...ssm-lc1-display-software-w-real-time-mpg.html

AND he is somehow integrating the LC-1??? somehow I think this has to only be possible via carPC, if he has figured out a way to do it without a carPC...

It's FREEWARE? This guy should be charging money for this. Seriously.

Any reason I can't use the factory boost sensor?

I'd have an LC-1/ factory boost/factory coolant temp/ factory oil temp (I think oil temp is in the SSM protocol?)/ all on my phone display. Just need to figure out an add on oil pressure solution- maybe one small alarming oil pressure gauge like the STRI DCD SLMII.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  9. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Anything that uses the factory sensors are gonna not be so accurate. Usually by the the time the factory sensor can read something it's too late.

10. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

11. UpSideDownDesi

UpSideDownDesi Active Member

12. motomark

That 5 gauge cluster in a 7" screen is pretty much exactly what I had in mind. Thanks for posting that link.

I am thinking of trying this with someone I have pal'ed up with in Seattle. He is working on Java based app that allows creation of custom gauges/ integration of OBD2 SSM data and serial data from an LC-1 wideband. working on serial data protocol from PLX sensors (i.e.- a proper oil pressure sender).

Hoping to integrate it all into one of the Ipad wannabees. There are Windows CE "pads" that are less than $200 that can run Java and probably display a similar gauage pack as to the on in the youtube video.

13. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Good luck with it!

14. UpSideDownDesi

I just need to find software that shows feed from sensors all in one screen (as you said). Would be really nice if Cobb came out with some kind of nicer display for their output readings. It already reads LC-1 so 1 less headache. I already have Greddy memory gauges for main readings like EGT, Oil Pressure, & Boost. I don't know if there's a way to integrate their outputs from the sending units in the display, if not i am happy.

Other than that, I was just thinking about running a external 7" touch screen display from a laptop (under the seat) and utilize all it's capabilities for fun/expandable factor like Bluetooth, gps, wifi, DVD, Games, etc etc. Not too expensive and ah simple way.

15. motomark

I am still leaning towards one of the cheapo pads because they are one piece integrated design and all it has to run is a simple Java app.

But..... this is a bad ass car PC and available in solid state HD- robust desin low power draw....
    http://www.fit-pc.com/web/

16. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I would stay away from the fit-pcs. Couple of problems with them from what I see and the experience I have with my car PCs.

Only has 2 USB ports on it. One USB port directly into the computer would need to be used for your Touchscreen Monitor. I would not connect the touchscreen USB through a Hub. That leaves one additional port that would definitely need a hub, and you may be running many different things off that port/hub combo.

My current Car PC has 4 USB Ports on it, and I am using all of them, and also have 2 4 port Hubs.

Figure you will want a USB port for the Touchscreen, Bluetooth, and GPS at the very least.

The power supply that these pcs use. Not sure what power supply, but do they make a compatible Automotive Power supply that will work with these. A good power supply for your car would have to have delay turn on, you don't want the computer powering up when cranking the car to start. Would also have to have a delayed power off, allowing the computer to power down when you turn the key off.

17. UpSideDownDesi

I gonna mess around with laptop idea if it fails then something else. Not getting into it rite now, but in future. I am sure a very nice laptop can be picked up for $400-$500, about same price as the top of the line fit-pc and will have more option as is built in.

Def some good ideas in this thread. Keep it alive.