Ethanol Free 93 Octane

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by integroid, Dec 15, 2014.

1. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Anybody know of where you can purchase ethanol free 93 octane fuel? There are some boat places around me that sell 90 octane E0 fuel but they want over a $1 a gallon more than 93 octane fuel.

2. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

Are you familiar with this website? Can't vouch for its accuracy...

http://pure-gas.org/

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but something I've wondered: It seems like most of the ethanol free gasoline out there is usually an "off brand" of some sort. I wonder whether, if engine health/longevity is a primary concern, the advantages of the ethanol free gas from the no name stations is set off by not having the additive packages that the name brands tout (Techron, etc.)?

3. integroid

I have been to pure-gas.org and that is where I found the E0 90 octane fuel near my house. The closest station to me is actually a Chevron E0 90 octane so it still has the additives. I also went by Ractrac the other day and they had a E0 87 octane pump at the diesel pumps. I know back in the day Shell use have an ethanol free 93 octane fuel but dont think that is the case anymore. A friend of mine tested all the stations close to his shop for about a month and found that the Kroger Gas stations had the most consistent blend of fuel that caused the lease amount of knock. From then on, they only used fuel from that particular Kroger. I guess I could do the same and find out exactly how much ethanol is in the fuel at the stations around my house and just stick to one of the stations.

4. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

Look near a lake...some boats require E0 fuel, so a lot of small stations near lakes have it

5. integroid

Yeah unfortunately all of the stations by Lanier only sell E0 90 Octane fuel. I was really looking for 93 octane.

6. integroid

Just tested the QT and Kroger by my house. Both had under 10% ethanol. QT might have been a percent or two less ethanol. Will test shell and Walmart tomorrow.

7. b reel

b reel Active Member

Guys at Jim Ellis tested fuel around their area when AUDI's DI engines were going to shit, all around shitty numbers for % of water and alcohol.

Call these guys, George Green Oil 770-964-6125 for any fuel questions but almost certain you will not find EO 93 at any gas station.

8. integroid

Thanks Brian...I have given up on finding E0 93 Octane but would still like to know which station around my house has the least amount of Ethanol in their 93 octane. I guess I should test the costco next to my house as well.

9. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

10. integroid

Looks to have less stations listed than pure gas:(

11. b reel

b reel Active Member

if you can get away with 0.56g/1l lead, you can buy 100LL for about $4.75 a gallon at the airport. About the only way to guarantee stable fuel quality

12. integroid

Do they actually let you pump aviation fuel into your car? I have always wondered about that.

13. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

I'm glad my truck is a flex fuel truck. My buddy is having issues with his Porsche not liking the new blends....he is constantly trying to find ethanol free gas but they want a good $1-$1.25 more than 87 (which is $2.09 right now here).

14. b reel

b reel Active Member

no that'd be breaking Federal Law LOL

15. integroid

Yeah, most new cars have an ethanol sensor built in now. Acura told me our new car had one and I know most of the new VAG cars have them as well. Pretty sure the new A3/A4 can run E85 as well.

Yeah, same problem with me....seems like the E0 90 octane is a good $1-$1.25 more than 87 octane. I think I will just stick with the lowest ethanol 93 Octane station I can find near my house.

So far it is a pretty close tie between costco and QT. Going to hit up Walmart and Shell after work.

16. orndog

orndog Member

Back in high school (in TN), we'd pull up to the airport with gallon or 5 gallon cans, pump the gas and dump it in the car, repeat as necessary. Technically this was ok.

17. integroid

Unfortunately I dont think the lead would be good for most modern cars:( If it was to use a few times a year (Track Events) I think it would be fine.

18. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Esp those with catalytic converters!

What issues are you having Eddie? Is your tune acting up (due to inconsistent fuel) or what?

19. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

I guy I knew in Montana had a 69 camaro that he dumped $180,00 into. That thing was one of the most beautiful cars I have ever ridden in. He used to go to the airport an get gas there. I don't know if he put it in drums or what though. He had an F350 as well so it is very possible he would take large containers up there to get it.

I think he told me it was something like 110 octane but that was a long time ago. The airport in Kalispell montana is only 2 gates so it may be a lot different.... It may be worth looking into though

Edit: he also had a 900+ rwhp 2010 camaro that I never got to ride in because I made fun of him because it was automatic hahaha

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  20. integroid

No issues....my wife just says I get into my OCD zones on things and this is my OCD zone for the week:) LOL

21. integroid

Ok, so I am done with the testing at stations around my house. First off I want to say that it was pretty funny to see people staring at me getting gas in a Nissan Leaf:)

1. Costco - It was close but it looks like they have the least water/ethanol in their fuel.
    2. QT - Very close and wouldn't hesitate getting fuel at this station.
    3. Shell - Smaller mom and pop store but they do high volume because they are off a main road.
    4. Kroger - Very close to Shell....so close that they look almost even.
    5. Walmart - in last place by a long shot. I would recommend avoiding getting gas at Walmart/Sams

22. orndog

orndog Member

Isn't Costco like Sams in that they get gas from various suppliers depending on who gives the best deal? That's what I heard, and if so it would mean their quality will vary.

23. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

By Walmart would that mean Murphy? Not sure about Georgia but up here in SC all the gas stations next to Walmarts are Murphy stations. This is interesting cause when I do get gas from Murphy I usually see a good 1 mpg drop in fuel but I was attributing that to my foot.

24. integroid

Yup, it is Murphy...or at least it is down here as well.

25. integroid

That might true on a state to state basis but I am pretty certain that the station I went to gets their gas from the same supplier. Or at least I have seen the same truck/tanker at that station at least a dozen times in the last few years.

26. integroid

My wife wants me to test the BP up the road from the house so I will revise the list when I do.

27. orndog

orndog Member

How do you test?

28. integroid

Nothing too scientific. Basically measured/weighed out 2oz of water in each container. Then added 10 oz of gasoline from each store. Shook it up and let the ethanol/water settle to the bottom. Then looked which one had the higher level of water/ethanol at the bottom. I guess the better way would of been to buy a beaker that had the markings on it already to tell you what level ethanol was in the fuel but this was just for my own personal experiment so I really didnt care the exact numbers....just trying to find the least amount of ethanol around me.

29. integroid

So revised list
    1. BP - The only problem I have is that the gas still looks murky...not clear like the other fuels. BUT it clearly has less ethanol/water in it right now. I will report back in the AM if something changes
    2. Costco - It was close but it looks like they have the least water/ethanol in their fuel.
    3. QT - Very close and wouldn't hesitate getting fuel at this station.
    4. Shell - Smaller mom and pop store but they do high volume because they are off a main road.
    5. Kroger - Very close to Shell....so close that they look almost even.
    6. Walmart - in last place by a long shot. I would recommend avoiding getting gas at Walmart/Sams
    ____

30. J-Rad

J-Rad New Member

One thing about trying to find ethanol free gas to consider is that by the very nature of removing ethanol, you're going to lower the octane. Ethanol has an effective octane rating of 113, and in a Direct Injection engine is closer to 135 or so.

The trade off is that ethanol has much less energy. Flex Fuel vehicles have huge fuel pumps and injectors to compensate for this, by injecting much more fuel, to keep engine output the same.

i guess the most pertinent question is why? What are you looking for E0 gas for? What are you hoping to get out of it?

31. integroid

E0 93 still has a 93 octane rating it just doesnt use ethanol to bring the fuel up to 93 octane. I am well aware of what effective octane rating of E85 fuel has as I use to run it in my Legacy.

Here is a quick read on why I really dont like running Ethanol. The main reason why is because it actually cost more money to produce and run than any savings you are getting from the fuel. Not to mention the negative impact it is having with corn prices. Read up a little on the pros and cons of ethanol for fuel. Might make you want to change your mind as well.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/alternative-fuel/biofuels/e15-gasoline-damage-engine

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  32. orndog

orndog Member

Firstly, nobody is "removing" ethanol. Ethanol is added later, ethanol containing gasoline cannot be pumped through pipelines with the ethanol in it because the ethanol will soak up any water it comes across.
    Second, that hydrophilic nature (water loving) isn't great in your tank, nor is what ethanol can do to rubber seals.
    Octane rating is a formula that can be calculated different ways (pumps usually have the formula used on a sticker), but regardless of additives, or lack of additives, the number on the pump is the octane you get.

33. J-Rad

J-Rad New Member

I understand that ethanol is added to gasoline, and that E0 hasn't had it removed. I more meant 'removing it (from the production equation)'. I should have been clearer.

I've read all a lot of articles about it, a friend of mine religiously runs E0 in his motorcycle that we both have. After doing the research, I couldn't find a compelling argument for using it in a daily (or even weekly) driven vehicle. Especially one as late-model as my bike or car! Classic cars, lawmowers, summer-only motorcycles, boats that sit at the dock for weeks at a time; those things I could easily understand.

Incidentally, I read that posted article, and found it a little amusing that Popular Mechanics says that pump gas with the ethanol separated out (by draining the water out of phase-separated E10) would lose 3 octane points. Having gone to 3-4 stations with my friend to get e0, and seeing them all at 90 or below octane, I suspect that may be all you can find, and that 93 E10 is just 90 E0 that is cut with ethanol.

I know it is possible. Hell, a Sunoco near my job was selling 101 octane a few years back that was E10 (they've stopped). It obviously had way over 93 without the ethanol. I just don't know where you're going to get it, anymore. And like I said, with vehicles as new as ours, I couldn't find a good reason for me to go way out every time I filled up.

34. orndog

orndog Member

I don't bother since there are so few stations. But as to the 101 stuff, many stations in the days before E gas used to sell that stuff, all of us with muscle cars would gas up at those stations if we weren't hitting the airfield.

35. integroid

In my 2005 legacy, running E85 was the worse mistake I ever made. It ate through all the varnish in my tank and corroded just about everything in my fuel system.

Like I said, I have given up on E0 93 octane search. Some states have E0 93 octane at the pumps....unfortunately Georgia is not one of them. I was just trying to figure out which station near my house had the lease amount of ethanol in their fuel.

Also, I only run E0 in my lawn equipment. I have personally seen it eat through fuel lines on a few of my small motors. Switched to E0 and not a single problem since.

36. b reel

b reel Active Member

I think the concern here is the lack of quality control and consistency towards automotive fuels especially when considering the addition of hydrophilic ethanol. Planes crash because of water in the fuel so why do people think it's a far stretch for engines to shit themselves inside out when adding water loving alcohol to our fuels?

Oh and to make matters worse is the special fuel blends for the metro area, don't forget the Clean Air Act.

37. orndog

orndog Member

Add the fact that different areas require different winter blends which inflates prices.

38. J-Rad

J-Rad New Member

Now that I think about it, I remember seeing a small granulated glass container for testing this, just like it was discussed earlier in this thread. you put a measured amount of water in it, up to a 0 mark. When you added gas a shook it, the % of ethanol above 0 was shown. It was a neat thing, and only around 10 or so dollars, iirc.

And speaking of winter blends, does Atlanta utilize them?

39. integroid

Yeah, I use to have one of those test tube testers but have no idea where I put it.

I used mason jars with a 10:1 Fuel:Water measurement.

40. b reel

b reel Active Member

Of course we do, thanks to the Feds.

41. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

thread zombie...

there is a Racetrack on Bells Ferry in Marietta off of 575 i've noticed advertises ethanol free fuel.

42. integroid

Yup, some of the new racetracks offer 87 octane ethanol free fuel. Unfortunately I think I am better off just using the 93 octane at QT or BP by my house for my car. Especially now that I own a FlexFuel vehicle. I do go to Racetrack or the marina to pickup the ethanol free fuels for all my lawn equipment. Previously I would have to replace rubber fuel lines about once a year. Since I have switched to exclusive non ethanol fuels for my lawn equipment, I havent had a single problem in almost 2 years.

43. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

...and the new one at ridgewalk has e85.

finally something in striking distance of home...