Evil Wagon

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by fastnfurious7, Sep 18, 2014.

1. fastnfurious7

fastnfurious7 Member

This is the Evil Wagon:

[​IMG]

Anyone recognize it? The Duke is a friend I met on the miata forum when I was building this:

[​IMG]

'93 turbo miata. I became obsessed with the project and dumped so much dough in it that I haven't even finished parting it out yet and was able to purchase my E30 sedan aka Krauthammer AND the Evil Wagon.

Anyway, Duke informed me this is Sparta's old '03 Bugeye Wagon.

I love wagon's & I needed to get my turbo fix. Couple that with AWD and an awesome price = no brainer. I love it!

2. fastnfurious7

fastnfurious7 Member

Sparta may be able to clarify but this is what it came with: 17" wheels painted white, a Kartboy short shifter, vf39 turbo, Legacy gears in the 5MT, Tein S. Tech springs, and an unidentified (bc I'm still learning Scoobys) divorced gas 3" DP apparently mated to STi catback exhaust.

Upon purchase the front, right suspension had an awful clunk. Inner most bolt on bottom control arm was loose. Apparently it boogered up the bushing and the bolt enough that even after tightening, aggressive driving will work it back loose.

Does anyone know the official name for that bushing so I can order one and a bolt? Is it as simple as right inner control arm bushing and bolt? I'll search for a schematic.

The shifter was very sloppy. Ordered TIC's short shifter kit complete with updated, serviceable linkage. I was unaware that a Kartboy short shifter was already in place. It turns out that one of the two bushings where the selector rod attaches was missing. I fixed that and swapped in all the Kartboy shifter stay bushings and the linkage. I tossed the "Still Hood" metal dildo shift knob in favor of a 1lb Blox. Wagon now shifts like butta without the slop. This was enhanced further with the addition of Kartboy polyurethane trans brace bushings.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  3. fastnfurious7

fastnfurious7 Member

When I ordered the shift kit I also had TIC send me Unabombers Sexy Rearend bushing kit. I installed it all. The rear subframe bolts & outrigger bushings along with the rear diff bushings. Nice stuff. The Evil Wagon is more planted and accelerates better as well. A slight extra whine but the complaints about a ton of added NVH have not been noticed by this guy.

I have the steering rack bushings but have not installed them yet. Looking forward to the torture.

I also have an aggressive case of car stereo addictive disease. Just take a peek at my old ass '89 Toyo Pickup's 1100W system or Krauthammer's 2600W system to get an idea. Both SQ setups with old school amps. It's dumb. The Evil Wagon will be outfitted on a strict budget imposed by my wife. $0. Lucky for me my addictive disease forced me to hoard old school amps, awesome headunits, and some nice speakers that will make the Evil Wagon play my punk rock in an acceptable manor. :) I will elaborate as I build further.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  4. fastnfurious7

fastnfurious7 Member

I almost forgot...evil one came with a lousy Sparco teenie tiny steering wheel. If you are a fan of teenie tiny steering wheels please take no offense when I say that I am not. I would like a stock Momo in either good shape or (preferably) in such lousy shape that I can purchase it for next to nothing and then I can afford to cover it with a custom cover. For now I put my old miata wheel on. It's actually grown on me. I kind of like it.

[​IMG]

5. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Welcome to WRXatlanta.
    I sold the car 3 years ago with a vf39 and a bell mouth downpipe mated to an sti catback. I do believe I have a stock steering wheel or 2 somewhere. The car sat in storage for a year while the previous owner after me was deployed. Unless changed, it has sti deleted TGV's with 06 sti side feed injectors with a Walbro 255 pump. It was tuned by Sargent a few years ago, I would recommend getting a retune. The 5 speed was built by Kingwrx and fitted with LGT gears with a matching rear LSD. I am not sure about the suspension on it since that was changed when he sold it. Not sure about the shift linkage. It did have a kartboy short shifter in it at one time.

And I think the wheels were plastidipped white after I sold it. It should peel off to reveal black

feel free to pm me if you have any other questions.

6. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

steering rack bushings are some of the easiest to do. No torture there. :)

7. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Glad someone is putting some TLC into this thing to restore it to its former glory :)

What are your plans?

8. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Matt that is just mean... lol :coolugh:

9. fastnfurious7

fastnfurious7 Member

Yeah, Matt...I've already read enough on this...I know better. Duke already told me as well. Hence they are still not on there.

Sparta - the Evil Wagon is getting my Autometer gauges from my parted out miata. Triple dash mount of intake temp, wideband, and egt. Eventually toss EGT in favor of oil temp once funds allow. Not a fan of the bouncy Tein springs so may be replacing those. If you locate one of those Momo steering wheels I'll be forever grateful. Car is being tuned as we speak with some special, added goodies to be named later. I would like to do some track days with the wagon once I get it setup. I daily drive it and my E30 so I still want to keep the car streetable and after my miata I'm not looking for big HP numbers. That was too expensive and way too brittle. I'm just scared to even begin to venture back down that road so this one is staying super budget. Not to mention that my wife will behead me if I do anything on this car much beyond what I've already done. I'll have to sell items to replace items so the balance sheet remains very close to zero. Never easy. Ok, I admit, it's impossible. I'll have to work extra hours at my three part-time gigs on top of my two full-time jobs.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  10. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

I have stock STI springs if you're interested

11. Wycked304

Wycked304 New Member

Was this for sale off of Tidwell Rd In Alpharetta a few weeks ago?.....

12. fastnfurious7

fastnfurious7 Member

I've owned it longer than a "few weeks" I think, depending on your definition of the term. The whole time I was courting the Evil Wagon I made my callings at All Pro Subaru. The previous owner only had the car a very short amount of time bc his mother bought the car for him and signed as a lien holder. Her plan was, since he was a car aficionado, that providing him with the Evil Wagon would give her leverage in convincing him to act like a productive member of society with the threat of it disappearing if he decided to act in a thuggish manner. According to her story, he quickly chose the thug life and so, unlike many parental units of today, she actually followed through with her word and put the car up for sale. I moved in and purchased the Evil One and drove it away from All Pro Subaru. I'm a happy camper so far.

13. Wycked304

Wycked304 New Member

Yeah, in looking back now, a friend sent me a picture of it for sale on August 3rd. I stopped and looked at it. Used to have the same model. Glad you are enjoying it!!

14. fastnfurious7

fastnfurious7 Member

License plate frame:

[​IMG]

15. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Cool plate cover... nerd... lol

Seriously where'd you get that made at, that's cool...

Hows that megasquirt thing going?

16. fastnfurious7

fastnfurious7 Member

If you think my plate frame (from Rockin' Plates BTW) is nerdy...wait until you see what should be here tomorrow. :naughty:

The squirt is in and tuned...but only to 5000 rpm. :( It seems the injectors ran out of juice spitting ability even though the VF39 continued to make power. Any good ideas on which injectors I should get? Anyone have suggestions? Also, I have the no name bellmouth DP with stock STi catback. I was thinking that going with a 3” catback along with the injectors and an STi TMIC before tuning it again would be a good idea. What does the community here think? My goals are not lofty HP wise and my budget is super low on this but I'm getting caught up in the "might as wells" like I did with my miata. This one being ”I have to retune with better injectors so I might as well get the bigger exhaust and bigger TMIC and only tune once". Such a slippery slope.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions!

17. fastnfurious7

fastnfurious7 Member

I also picked up this fine bit of kit today.

[​IMG]

Install pics to follow forthwith once I get the car back in the driveway.

18. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

The STi catback should be able to handle what you have to throw at it for now. It should be a 2.5" one.

2.0L guys feel free to disagree with this next statement.

As far the injectors, because that turbo came off an STi you could prolly just pick up some good shape 2nd hand STi injectors. I am sure someone has some of these laying around. There are 2 or 3 people building 2011-2013 STi's on here I bet they have them in a baggie somewhere.

19. Matt

It should already have those upgraded injectors. But I don't think he can use the ones from an 11-14. Pretty sure he has to stick to 04-07 style.

20. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; SCH-I545 Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/37.0.2062.117 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Actually even slimmer options to 06 sti injectors as I think Sparta mentioned side feed. Which is 06 sti. They went back to topfeed 07 on

21. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

It does indeed have 2006 sti injectors on it. At least it did. Take a look at them and they should be yellow.

22. fastnfurious7

fastnfurious7 Member

Thanks for the replies. I'll check on Thurs when I pick the car up and make sure it has these injectors. Maybe they need to be cleaned and flow tested? I'm sure they should work fine past 5000 rpm with this setup but they are not apparently.

23. fastnfurious7

fastnfurious7 Member

In other news, my other nerdy, custom item arrived today:

[​IMG]

:wiggle::wiggle:

24. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Who is saying it's the injectors? And did I read it right you are running a mega squirt standalone now?

How about the fuel pump? It used to have a Walboro but I think it may have been swapped when it went back to stock. If you can hear it when you turn the key to ON then it still has the walboro

25. fastnfurious7

fastnfurious7 Member

The car has been at DIYAutoTune getting the standalone fitted and then tuned. They told me the car was ready but only tuned to 5k rpm because the injectors quit there even though the turbo was still wanting to make power. It stands to reason that the fuel pump not being able to supply the injectors with enough fuel could also be the culprit instead of the injectors as they assumed. Great info, Sparta! I'll check both but I had a Walbro in my miata at one point and I'm pretty sure this one isn't making that familiar noise when the ignition is switched to ON.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  26. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Probably got parted out then. The car got broken down to a shell after the 2.5 spun a bearing

27. fastnfurious7

fastnfurious7 Member

This may clear some things up:

[​IMG]

Yellow injectors still seem to be in the car.

[​IMG]

Walbro, however, is not. So, would simply putting a Walbro 255lph in this bad boy be the cure? From there I could bring it to the tuner and the Evil Wagon should be good to go with this setup, correct?

28. fastnfurious7

fastnfurious7 Member

I'm thinking that maybe it'd be a good idea to at least pull the injectors and ship them to Witch Hunter. That and the 255lph should complete this ride for now.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

29. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

From the looks of the Injectors they look to be STi side feed injectors that are 565cc I believe, so that walbro should get you want you need.

Having the injectors tested wouldnt be a bad idea though.

30. fastnfurious7

fastnfurious7 Member

I should probably do that. Once I get a few pennies I'll order the Walbro and then tune again.

31. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Let me know and I can get you a walbro (or better) fuel pump at a good price via TougeFighter

32. fastnfurious7

fastnfurious7 Member

So, I installed the 26mm front sway bar and whiteline endlinks:

[​IMG]

Also finally tackled the dreaded polyurethane steering rack bushings:

[​IMG]

That was the easy one. Here's the difficult one:

[​IMG]

I didn't find the install very difficult. I took both brackets loose and installed passenger side easily. I only put one bolt in the bracket on that side & took driver's side bracket completely off. Then I took the bottom most bolt out of the steering. I marked it in case it came all the way out but it only dropped down about a half inch. The new bushing was coated in a light glaze of oil & it slid right in place. Then I pushed it back up & tightened everything down.

Front end is improved.

I also adjusted the e brake because it didn't work at all. Still living this car!

33. b reel

b reel Active Member

I'd look into some spacers to take the bind out of the end-links.

34. fastnfurious7

fastnfurious7 Member

Definitely thought the same thing. I added larger inside washers on the bottom attachment because the hardware that came with this seemed inadequate. I was a little surprised how bound up the bushings are with the car just sitting. I'll work up something in the near future hopefully.

35. b reel

b reel Active Member

kartboy has spacers for this problem, I'd use grade 8 bolts for ease of mind and overkill

36. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Overkill is under rated.

37. fastnfurious7

fastnfurious7 Member

This came in the mail while I was at work and I installed it this morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This matches the 3" downpipe to 3" exhaust all the way out. Sounds good, too. This is a budget build so, I definitely didn't go all out. I went cheap but I like it so far. Time will tell.

I also ordered the Kartboy spacers for the endlinks as suggested by b reel. Should have those soon and solve that problem as well.

38. brakedust

brakedust New Member

Hey dude! mjdunlop8 here from mx5atlanta. Joining the madness. I'm already addicted.

39. fastnfurious7

fastnfurious7 Member

Come on in, the water is fine! I'm definitely enjoying my Scooby-Doo. Not a bad miata replacement IMHO.

40. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Another converted miata... person... lol

Its spreading.

I myself used to have a '95 miata.

41. Matt

wasn't that after you had an 04 STi? :p

previous 99 mx-5 owner here.

42. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I guess I went through a miata curious stage then... :keke:

43. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

For what it's worth, I ran the WL set-up you have (in did 27mm sb) and my end links looked the same. Auto-x it for 6 years like that. Never had an issue.

44. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

you get the fuel pump in yet?

45. fastnfurious7

fastnfurious7 Member

It's still sitting in garage awaiting installation. I might have a few minutes free to knock it out tomorrow.

46. fastnfurious7

fastnfurious7 Member

Still haven't installed the fuel pump. I did, however, spend a whopping $1.25 and did this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Relatively easy modification. One of the stock cluster lights was out so I just went ahead with the change.

47. brakedust

brakedust New Member

wow that looks awesome

48. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Dude that looks awesome...

49. Matt

50. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

wow. looks way better than I would expect. nice little change up!