F@#$ now there isn't any premium!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BelvnAWD, Sep 28, 2008.

1. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

So what can we do about it? I have heard octane boosters are FTL. I was forced to put a few gallons of 87 in this morning, or I wouldn't have gotten home. I did end putting some Octane Booster in (just for the mental benefit), but still drove like a granny all the way home. I need to make it to work tomorrow, but then won't have to drive my car again until Wed. by which time I will hopefully have found some premium somewhere.

2. Jake

Jake Active Member

you'll be ok with 87 for a little bit, just dont be flooring it everywhere. Kingwrex had to put 87 in his for the mountain run.

3. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

I'm in the same boat, other than my gas light has been on since last week.... :eek:
    You can add in some Toulene or Xylene (or race gas) and get an octane boost.

Here's an online octane calculator Clicky Here

Home Depot has something called Xylol, which I HAVE NOT verified is the same thing as Xylene.
    Otherwise I'll be hitting up a paint store to see if they've got any.

4. WJM

WJM Banned

drive to FL.

5. techlord

techlord Active Member

I am simply out of gas in all my cars so I will be staying home with my hangover. Probably check the situation out in the 2-4 AM hours as lines are just crazy here in cobb. 2+ hr wait.

6. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

running 87 will move the car but will be an extensive exercise in ECU knock correction.

7. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I drove around last night and finally found a station in Dunwoody that had all grades. I had to wait about 45 minutes but finally got a full tank. I have a few gallons of Race Fuel that I hope I wont have to "blend" with regualr unleaded next tank.

8. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

+1

I think that Im going to post a thread in the WTS section for premium gas :naughty:

9. monk

^ actually if everyone that IS able find premium could post it on gasbuddy.com that would work really well. that's what i've been doing.

10. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

I'm on my 2nd tank of 87....this blows!!!!!!!! just been driving really easy and hoping for the best.....

11. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

quicktrip ftw. i have seen quite a few of them with premium off and on. however i filled up thursday and havent went anyway except work on friday haha.

12. Demo24

Demo24 Member

I can't find premium either. I hope we get something by Friday, even if it's just 87 octane, otherwise I guess I'll be staying in Dahlonega next weekend.

13. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

So, what about stage2 what can we do?

14. seanwrxwagon

seanwrxwagon Member

I found 93 octane at the quiktrip in marietta(41 and allgood) on thursday about 9 am. Two minute wait and I was at a pump. I lucked into it on my way to work. That won't happen again but I should be able to milk it until this thursday.

15. WJM

WJM Banned

no boost.

You've been kicked out of the alliance due to 4 days of inactivity.

16. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

that SAME QT now has a 1/2 mile wait for gas....

17. Eco Auto Clean

luckily i hit qt off 29/ronald reagan in gwinnett...3.97 and no line..of course this was like 430am....people are like how much did you pay? I'm like its not about the price its about finding a station with actual gas!!!!!

18. BelvnAWD

Yeah, there have been several stations out this way with regular, I still have about half a tank, so am not worried about running out, but am not going to chance running 87 on the highway. I will probably telework or call in sick tomorrow, whatever my boss wants me to do, unless I can find premium out here in the morning.

19. Matt

why does the miata need premium?

20. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

Costco at Perimeter has 93 without too much line. If y'all would like, we can get a drum of 100 or 109 unleaded at the shop. I think the 100 is $7.50 a gallon and can be mixed 50/50 with 87 to get 93.5, or the 109 is near $10 a gallon, but it doesn't take as much...

If there are enough takers we can get a drum in a day.

Siegel

21. BelvnAWD

High compression (10.8) ratio in the new body style 2.0l ...

22. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

exxon across from perimeter mall on ashford dunwoody only has 93 left so line isn't too bad, $4.49/gallon

BP is out again as of this afternoon

23. Matt

Sam's in Marietta ran out of premium JUST before I got to the pump....oh well....filled up anyway

24. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

So, I would just come to you with half a tank of 87?

25. BlackAndBlue

BlackAndBlue Member

why are you trying to fill up with premium?

26. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I hit the jackpot this morning. Left for work about 30 minutes earlier than usual. First gas station I pass has nothing, one car parked at the pump waiting for that precious delivery. Keep going. Next station, a Shell station, has gas, and a fairly long line of cars, but only going in one entrance. The other entrance, my natural entrance the direction I was going had no one. I pull in, pull up to a car at a pump and wait about 2 minutes, car leaves and I have free path to the pump. I was able to get a full tank of 93 octane, and waited in line no more than 5 minutes. As I was leaving out the other entrance, the one with the line, I was telling people to go around to the other side.

I am so relieved. After trying Saturday Night around 10:30 or so and failing, and trying again Sunday morning at 6 AM and failing, I was left with enough gas to get to work this morning, and hopefully back home. My gas light would have come on about halfway to work this morning, and I would have been on fumes on my way home.

I am so sick of this gas crisis, and from what I heard on the news last night, they are now expecting it to go for another 2-3 weeks.

Oh yeah, I think I paid like $4.79 a gallon. Sucks, but I would have happily paid $6 just for the comfort of knowing I had gas for the week.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  27. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

I've got a few friends who are mixing E85 and 87 to achieve 93. E85 isn't in short demand and it's cheaper than 87

28. integroid

The Exxon on Ashford Dunwoody Across from Perimeter mall had all grades of gas and no line when I went by at 8:10 this AM.

29. Matt

my RS takes premium....runs like horse shit otherwise.

30. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

I got lucky and got a full tank of premium last night, and didn't even have to wait in line too long!

It was at the BP on the corner of Northside Dr./Hemphill/14th St

31. Eco Auto Clean

man this crap is pissin me off!!! 32 miles each way to work on 87 is not cool!!! I do 55mph....being as easy as I can....18 wheelers don't appreciate that too much....

32. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

go as fast as you want, just watch out quickly you get to that speed. 55mph is overkill

33. integroid

I would have to agree...as long as you are not in boost, your car should run fine on 87 octane. You can do just as much damage going 55 and at full boost on 87 octane. Just try and stay out of boost and you should be fine.

34. Eco Auto Clean

yea I do 55mph to obtain the best mpg as possible since I don't know when this crap is gona be over!....getting 24mpg right now...bp off piedmont/cheshire bridge has all grades but I got almost a full tank of 87....i just hate not being able to go into boost when people come flying up on me or something when pulling out (drive way on a blind turn)....thanks for makin me feel better bout using 87! I still feel bad for my car though!..

35. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

By rough guestimates(I have no boost gauge... I know.. tsk, tsk), I'm in boost at approx 75mph, which is right around my cruising speed. So, if I get stuck with 87 this week, I'm.. well, don't wanna find out.

36. Trey

Trey Active Member

You guys are funny...I've been running 87 in the STi since gas hit $3.50/ gal with no issues at all.

The ECU can retard the timing, if need be, to correct for any knock detection. All engines have to run on all grades of gas sold in the US, if not, you would hear of engines blowing up all the time and people suing gas companies or car makers.

The only issue is lower performance. I don't care about that for my daily commuter. Now if I were to go to the track, I'd prefer something higher.

37. monk

38. BelvnAWD

Yeah, it seems like things are easing a little today as I was able to get premium at a BP out here after waiting for one car to move, I then went home, got my wife's car and filled her car up so I could make it back to the airport to pick her up, again only waiting for one car to move. I doubt we will see it go completely back to normal this week, but maybe it won't be as fubar'd as it was this weekend. As for putting 87 in on purpose, while I understand that it MAY not do any damage, the way I drive and the fact my car is only a year old, make me not want to chance it....

39. Demo24

Demo24 Member

or you could just drive slow for a few days until you can find premium again.

Looks like I'll be getting some 87 here in a few days, be interesting to see how my car reacts. 1/4th of a tank of premium won't get me very far :unamused:

40. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

I got some. Chevron near technology parkway in norcross ga!

41. Eco Auto Clean

I've got almost a full tank so now even if I find premium I won't be able to really do anything...this is one of those times when I really wish I lived downtown close to my job!!!

42. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I filled up this morning for a nice $3.69 a gallon for premium this morning.

God I love living in SC in the boondocks.

43. cannarella

cannarella Member

So what was the consensus on octane booster? I had to put in 87 and out in Loganville all the people that went to the UGA game this weekend sucked us dry.

44. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Pretty soon this will be 285:

[​IMG]

45. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

It does NOTHING. One bottle raises the octane point like .01 or .1 points.

You are better off getting unleaded race gas and mixing.

46. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

FUCKING Perdue was like" oh no need to shut the game down"

and now hes like please limit travel ect .. blah blah. I swear to GOD if he cancels school or some bs ...

what a fucking fuck tard.

Could have fucking postponed the fucking game. i hope he fucking runs out and gets raped.

47. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I got a can of Toluene. I was able to get 93 today, so I don't need it at the moment, but the news is forecasting that our gas problems may continue for another 2-3 weeks, so I decided to plan ahead.

I believe, from what I was reading in another thread (Search Toluene and I think it was the last thread, started by Milo about Meth Injection) it is 1 ounce of toluene for every gallon of 87 octane gas should bring your octane to about 93.

48. monk

lmfao!

49. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

lets not forget, i'm STILL getting reports from station managers that people are STILL trying to top-off.

Top-off means 4 gallons or less. They're the ones that set this madness into motion.

However, Perdue could've declared a state holiday and eliminated the need to use gas for a day to get a breather. That would've made sense.

50. cannarella

cannarella Member

Where does one get race gas? I am out in the sticks. Maybe Belvin will know since he is in my area...