FINALLY!!! It's going down

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by Sparta, May 21, 2008.

1. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Fo' sho. Just call me, we gotta run to the store... again

2. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Probably should have done the swap in an autoparts store's parking lot. :rofl:

Would have saved a ton of time.

3. jason

jason Member

LOL!

Ill head over in a little bit.

4. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

that thing crank up yet?

"can't leave y'all for 2 mins"!! haha

5. Jake

Jake Active Member

Sorry I haven't stopped by today. My friends and I went to a braves game then dinner. I might stop by before I get back to the house tonight. Is it running yet?

6. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

waiting for the phone call :hsugh:

7. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

damnit.... why haven't I gotten a call with it running yet??

I left at 8 and they only needed fluids, the battery, and a turbo priming. It should be started by now.

There were some issues with teh AP2, so hopefully it's not due to that.

8. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

I texted him at 8:30 and he said that they were about to crank it I hope everything is ok

9. caseyfoster

caseyfoster Member

Vroooommmmmmmmmmmmmmm

10. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

still nothing??

11. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

nope I just talked to them

12. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

It Started!

13. Demo24

Demo24 Member

geez, what the hell is taking so long? I was there on Sat and the engine was almost back together(cams on at least). I figured it might be running by sunday night, or at least by mid day today. What happened?

14. WJM

WJM Banned

how did I get dragged into this?

15. Jake

Jake Active Member

ha, they kept joking that they might have to "call will" to find out what certain problems were.

but its running, i just left and they were rolling it out to take a test drive. he needs a tune tho, because it has a rough idle with all three maps he tried. its probly a combination of the tgv's and the bigger injectors.

16. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Yep guys its running!

It was idling high as hell but then Kingwrex sat in the seat and it dropped down to 700. There is HUGE difference in the 2.5 and 2.0!

Thanks to everyone that busted there asses on my car, when I get my money back up I'll take you all to dinner or something.

Now I just need to get tuned.

17. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

Sweet man congrats I hope I get a ride this week end :naughty:

18. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

Congrats dude. I will see you tomorrow.

19. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

Congrats bro. Glad you guys got it done.

20. caseyfoster

caseyfoster Member

Nice man, take me for a ride sometime.

21. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Hey I figured out how to fix your AP and get the maps on. I am guessing you guys were able to run those maps? You definitely need a pro-tune now. Congrats on your 2.5!

22. jason

jason Member

Good Job King. I knew you had it in you..

23. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Yea thanks Russel for updating my v2.

I will post pics and eventually a video

24. kingwrex

kingwrex Supporting Member

:rofl:i finally get my garage back

25. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Brian said he left the last tape on the wood table in the garage! Please dont let that get lost because it has the first start up on it! I will be over tomorrow to help clean up and hopefully get my power steering back

:bowdown:

26. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

nice, clean your PM's please

27. kingwrex

to answere a few questions on why it tok so long when it looked like it was getting done:

had to modify the fuel rail and intake manifold somewhat because we used 06 sti tgv's and injectors along with teh fuel rail from the 06 sti. we ended up using the sti crossover pipe and breather tubes. we had to cut one of the breather tubes from the sti setup to make it work.

countless of 10mm alen sockets broke taking the cam gears off leaving us with multiple trips to different parts and hardware stores.

a lost injector seat bushing left us with no choice other than to make another one out of a grommet kit we got from pep-boys. thanks to jason for fabricating the bushing for us.

a number of bolts and studs snapped or stripped causing me to have to drill and tap out new threads a few times.

finding tools since everyone was pitching in and using the tools all at once.

my compressor took a dump because we had the thing running pretty much for 2 days straight. we had to send dana to return it to walmart and luckily got a even exchange with out a receipt.

we did the sti cam mod and plugged the oiling holes. i grabbed the wrong set screws at the hardware store and we had to go back and get the correct ones. finally we finished with the sti cam mod and put the cams in the heads and started adjusting valve clearances and the cams seemed to catch in the heads with spinnig so we ended up not using the sti cams and putting the wrx cams back in and had to re-adjust the valve clearances for the wrx cams.

during the install of the new engine we had to pull it back out 3 times due to dowl pins being in the block and in the trans, it fought with us for a while.

finally we tried to crank it but it only spun over and would not start. we got the fuel lines crossed.
    since we used the 06 sti fuel rail it had the quick disonnect hoses so we had to cut them to make tehm work. i swapped the fuel lines to the correct locations and it started up first try.

the car had a rough idle at first and it was funny because dana drove the car to get gas and i got in the drivers seat to drive it back and the idle smoothed out and was near perfect.

the car needs to be tuned and it should run like a champ. cant wait to see what it puts out.

28. kingwrex

cleared pm's:wiggle:

29. WJM

WJM Banned

I see....

well, I never said king couldnt handle it...;)

30. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

despite the trouble, what a fun swap this was.

I'm sure Dana will be happy with the #'s he'll get out of it once it's tuned.
    King has got to be happy to have his garage back...

31. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

glad to hear that it finally fired and everything seems to be working good, i guess now time to call SS!!

32. kingwrex

I could have used your advise at some points in the swap just for the fact that i have not done a hybrid swap before and i had some questions that we finally figured out with all of our heads put together.

its truly a unique wagon now. i dont think anyone else on the boards has a wrx with side feed injectors.

33. WJM

WJM Banned

Its a really easy swap...just EJ257 or EJ25D headgaskets, block off the top balance port and its done!

Its a freaking GRAVY swap at that.

Indeed I do not know of anyone else with side feeds in a USDM WRX that has not had a 'full swap.'

34. Jake

Jake Active Member

Despite the fact we didn't wind up putting the sti cams in, I'm still anxious to see numbers. My old car did 290/340 on the exact same setup, except I had modded WRX injectors and ecutek where he's running the sti side feeds and an AP

35. WJM

WJM Banned

I'd say it should be the same...injectors and the type of EM are usually SMALL factors...the tuner is the deciding factor.

36. kingwrex

you are 100% correct, just swapping the wrx heads on a sti short block is a strait forward swap, but we tried to use the sti intake manifold along with the sti side feed injectors and fuel rail. we were not sure about how to hook up the wrx throttle body onto the sti manifold. we looked at it and were going to try elongating the wrx throttle body bolt holes and gasket holes a tiny bit so the bolt holes lined up with the manifold but the throttle body has vaines and jackets for coolant passages we didnt know for sure if it would all hook up correctly along with the sti manifold having some vacume ports that were different than the wrx. also we swapped ended up swaping the sti coolant crossover after trying to use the wrx because the fuel rail hit the wrx crossover becasue it is thicker. also we ended up having to modify the sti coolant and vacume piping that runs under the manifold and bolts down to the crossover becase the wrx set up would hit the manifold and fuel rail causing the tgv and manifold to not be able to sit flush to the heads.

it was a fun swap and hanging out with everyone while doing it was a blast also. i got to meet a few and get to know a few mambers i didnt know.

37. WJM

WJM Banned

^yeah...I remember telling someone that the sti manifold would not work...its not worth the trouble and such...

38. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Yea will you told me but I'm a little ignorant until I see it myself. I mainly wanted it for asthetics but I took care of that lol.

The thing that took up most of the time was setting the valve clearances for the sti cams only to find we weren't going to use them and then having to setting the valve clearances for the wrx cams.

The whole swap could have been done by saturday night if I had bigger injectors for the WRX fuel rail and also never tried for the sti cams. I'm just glad there are some dedicated members that stuck with it until the job was done, without you guys I would be even more fucked.

39. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

:bowdown:no please don't.....but thank you.....:keke: