Flocked some stuff

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Matto357, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

Did the dash and all the pillars. Came out not too bad. Definitely going to redo everything with better equipment.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry about being too lazy to pull out the flash. I think my favorite thing is the amount of glare it gets rid of on the windshield while driving. The plastic strip at the very front of the window hasn't been done yet and in sunlight it reflects very clearly on the glass, the rest of the dash does not.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  2. liltoua

liltoua Member

That looks great! You must teach me! lol

3. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

flock me that looks good...

4. Matto357

hahaha. I liked your first response better.

I plan on doing the glove box and half way down the console soon. Like I said, it's still a big learning process. The difference between some of the first pieces I did and some of the more recent pieces is pretty huge. I will definitely be pulling everything out, removing the flock and starting over once I've got it mastered.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  5. Matt

flock you!

6. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

What material is this? I've got a spare dash in my room I intend on doing this to

7. Matto357

Nylon flocking fibers.

8. Matt

nylon and fibers....flocking?

9. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Wow all the cursing in here.

Looks great man....I have to question...how rugged is this? Will it last against wear?

10. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Maybe you could have a meet up so we can see it in person?
    Meet the Flockers?

11. Matto357

Supposedly is fairly rugged. You wouldn't want to do something that is going to be constantly rubbed on. But it should hold up really well on the dash etc.

12. Jake

Jake Active Member

Can you flock on any surface? Or only on plastic? I need to do something with the pillars and headliner in the bmw

13. Matt

don't forget your protection before flocking.

14. Matto357

Headliner no. Hard surfaces yes, though some need to be sealed properly first. Also depending on the surface you use different methods. If it's mostly flat an electrostatic flocker will give the best results.

15. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Lol Matt's having too much fun. Where can I find this stuff? And I too would like to see it in person

16. Matto357

Can't tell if serious....

But I'm sure I'll make it out to this tuesday's meet if not, the next one. Rob saw it in the dark and Jeff saw it today.

17. slade1274

slade1274 Member

18. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

Flock it.

It does look good though. Saw it in person.

19. whitepony22

whitepony22 Member

I'm definitely doing the dash in my project Nissan here soon, any advice/tips? And I've always been curious, after it's on your dash, does it rub off very easily after it's all dried? Just wondered if it'd be a constant mess to keep clean and all.

Looks great though.

20. Matto357

It will shed for a while after. I've found that compressed air works best at getting everything off before you install. If you want the best finish possible for a dash invest in the air gun applicator and a paint gun to apply the adhesive. Even then it will be hit or miss your first time. I've done about 15 pieces so far and I haven't gotten it as perfect as I want it yet. It looks good, just not perfect.

21. b reel

b reel Active Member

another mercan job lost, poor Alex

22. Matto357

Hahah. I actually thought about this. Flocking is NOT a replacement for Alcantara or any kind of high end leather covering. Other than the fact that they both make the surface softer. Something well fitted and custom stitched like the wrx Alex did for SEMA is far superior in my book. If I could afford a full alcantara dash done by Alex I would do it in a heartbeat and I do plan on doing it in the future, just for now this is a fun project.

I know for a fact it would be a bad idea to flock the plastic parts underneath my steering column, they would rub off where my knees hit. But if I had those done with alcantara I would have no worries.