For those of you at&t fans out there...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Matt, Jan 20, 2010.

1. gt9729b

gt9729b Member

Well, I got the Incredible over the weekend. At this point, it's still much smarter than me and I've been impressed by what it can do. I'm a little bummed that it only supports 1 exchange account, and I'm still trying to figure out a way to get to my work email another way besides web access. Of course, it's shortcomings may in fact be operator error.

Since all of my friends are iPhone users, I'd appreciate any tips y'all can offer.

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

it supports multiple exchange accounts. or so I thought....I could be wrong

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  3. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Haven't seen one in person yet... I looks pretty impressive and I'm curious about the snapdragon processor. I'm not a huge fan of the Sense UI ported over from the Hero, but its not that big of a setback. I'd like to compare speed/functionality of a stock Incredible vs. my OC'd Droid.... How do you like it so far? Can't comment on exchange accts, as I don't use my Droid for business... But I've read several threads on the topic on Droidforums.net. There is a fairly large section on the Incredible. I'd post up there... I'm sure they can give you all the help you need.

4. gt9729b

gt9729b Member

Like I said, so far so good, but I'm pretty sure I'm not anywhere close to using this up to its potential. Since I'm such a smartphone ignoramus, I can't even really begin to get into the details to answer the questions you might have ...that's part of the reason I've started reading, but not yet posting my questions on android forums around (heck, even Nasioc's Incredible thread is over my head most times); I just don't speak the language.

Regarding the exchange accounts, I feel like I've read somewhere that there are apps available that enable the phone to support multiple exchange accounts, but in "stock" for, it can activesync with only one. There's more reading to be done.

5. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

There is an app on the market called K9 that seems to be popular for handling multiple email accts... Not 100% sure its available for you phone, but its worth looking into. Pretty new to the android scene myself, but have learned a good bit over the last 6 months. There are several other android owners here as well... I'll try to do some digging on Droidforums today and see if I can get a better answer for you.

6. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Found a thread pertaining to your question.... I believe K9 is one of the only answers for you right now (could be wrong)... Here is a quote that might be helpfull...

Combined inbox is a feature of “K-9 Mail” which is a third-party mail application. You may need the beta version to get this feature, because currently the one in the Android Market is an older version that does not yet have it. So if you want try out the latest “K-9 Mail” beta with combined inbox, you can follow these steps:

1. Enable non-market applications: Settings > Applications > Check “Unknown Sources”
    2. Download the latest K-9 Mail beta (v2706 as of this evening): Downloads - k9mail - Project Hosting on Google Code
    3. Add all your accounts to K-9 Mail.
    4. Click “Integrated Inbox” to see all your email combined in one screen.

Use the beta carefully, as it has not been thoroughly tested for public release.

7. tolnep

tolnep Member

im in the market for a smartphone.

incredible, lg ally, lg fathom are what im looking at currently.

fathom is winmo. i have one exchange biz account and that is a must have for whatever phone i choose. fathom is reportedly a little buggy but i suspect its exchange ability is the best.

also verizon supposedly has a number of motorola droid devices coming out in june/july.

i really want a keyboard though, which both lgs referenced above have. if the droid had a keyboard i would have already purchased it probably.

also its a bit hard for me to swallow the 30 buck data charge, especially since i have a evdo card from verizon for may laptop which i need.

too bad oqo went of biz. palmtop windows computer with built in evdo and oled screen. i would have gotten that and kept my regular phone.

my other issue with smartphones is i do some things outside where i need a fairly tough phone. i have an old gzone waterproof phone that i currently carry. even if i drop it it wont break. these smartphones though are fragile.

8. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I'm biased towards Android... but if I were you, I would wait. Lots of cool phones coming out in the next year. I'm not familiar with the 2 LG phones you listed, but have heard good things about the incredible. If a physical keyboard is a must, the Motorolla Droid has one (allthough its cramped and not the best). Androids native email exchange stuff is not that great from what I have read (don't use it personally). That is what the poster above you was asking about. I'm thinking if its more of a business phone you might be better off with a BB or a WinMo device. The $30 data plan is standard and cant be avoided. Verizon is going so far as to force data plans on basically anything that can reach the net (ie.. my gf's crappy Env3). As far as a phone thats not fragile, thats a toughy. My Motorola Droid has been dropped a few times and is ok... its heavy and fairly sturdy. Can't speak for the Incredible.. but I'd venture to say dropping it would not be a good idea.

9. heathbar

heathbar Member

10. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

I have Sprint and I would wait a bit before getting it. They have more phones coming out in the next few months. Plus the battery on the evo isn't as good as it could be.

11. heathbar

heathbar Member

Consider me interested. What are these new phones you speak of?

12. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I am on Sprint and awaiting the arrival of the Evo as well. My main concern is battery life as well. I have to wait until 07/01 before I can upgrade so I can read all the reviews before I get one:)

Every month there is a new phone coming out so you might as well not even bother upgrading if you keep waiting on new phones.

13. longfury

longfury Active Member

ATT just pissed off a lot of people.

They changed their data plans on ALL smart phones and the iPad. It will now be $15 for 200MB or $25 for 2GB. No more unlimited data on any device no matter what. If you have an unlimited plan right now, you can keep it when you change phones. New customers will have to pick one of the new plans.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=17991&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=30854

14. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Verizon announced a tiered data structure as well, but not until the LTE network gets rolled out. current 3G will stay as is.

We'll see how this pans out for new customers.

15. longfury

longfury Active Member

The ATT changes go into effect June 7th. I assume they think the new iPhone would increase data usage more than they can handle and wanted to get this in place first.

Also, apparently it does not matter how much you pay for your current unlimited data plan. You will still be "grandfathered" in for unlimited. This is good news for people like me with the original iPhone. We only paid $20 a month for unlimited data. It seems I will be able to still be able to have unlimited data and just pay the $30/mo fee.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  16. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

This sucks.

17. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Heard this on the Droidforums as well for Verizon... Even though I don't use an especially high amt of data, I really hope this won't apply for a long time...