Forged 07 STI debate

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by lobelsteve, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

I like it... looks cool.

Sorry I missed you the other day I was swamped on the dyno. When are we going to throw it on the dyno here?

2. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

Cool trunk for sure. Little bit of show in there too.

3. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yeah that lit up trunk looks great and very sharp. Good job.

4. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Did this ever get a dyno graph from Forged or Topspeed (or anywhere else for that matter)? I hate to pester, just curious to see how it went.

5. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Maybe forged finally learned not to post up low dyno graphs?

6. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

Bring it over here, we will dyno test it for free for you.

7. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

They are "too busy".

8. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

Me too, but I will sacrifice 30 minutes of my life to dyno it.

9. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Generous offer:clap: I just want to see the end result of all the hard work that went into the car!

10. Doug@DBW Motorsports

lol @ this thread.... Forged FTW

11. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

I've been gone for and I come back to see no dyno results yet?

Did it really make that little power?

12. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

i just hope your downpipe didn't get manipulated by the resident surgeon....

good luck, buddy...

13. b reel

b reel Active Member

I just heard NASCAR just impounded his car for tech inspection, Micheal Waltrip is even more worried now that he'll get fined for forged work.

14. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

Is this the "Innovative" car that blew up on the dyno? Saw it is Ball's signature, and wasn't sure if it was this one or not.

I sure hope not.

15. integroid

So did this car blow up on the dyno?

You guys can edit your OLOA updates and report all the bad publicity posts but can't put up a dyno sheet?

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  16. b reel

b reel Active Member

lot of dead horses littering this site aren't there?

17. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Is that what smells?

18. integroid

No, the smell is coming from Matt's car since he left his sunroof open and it got filled with glitter and jello

I see you Forged fools stalking this thread.

19. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

Give it up... I don't think we will ever see dyno sheets for this car.

20. sharif@forged

sharif@forged Member

No it did not.

21. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

Is there a reason why you are not posting dyno results? Is this at your request, or the customer's request?

(trying to be civil here, and wondering if you know how to do the same)

22. b reel

b reel Active Member

They can post dyno charts of cars that most of us could care less about but...

23. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

The car did not blow up on the dyno. The customer wants to make HIGH 600's on a dynojet and I told him that we couldn't do it with a car that he could daily for the next few years without pinning the block, so we pulled it apart to pin the block and run 34psi :D

Siegel

24. jeb

jeb Member

Thank you good sir Edit: that was not sarcasm

25. b reel

b reel Active Member

Then why did it take 3 months to get that answer? And why wouldn't you go with a sleeved block?

26. siegelracing

Sleeves on pretty much anything other than a Honda have a VERY finite heat-cycle life. On a drag car if you got 200 passes out of a motor you'd be happy. 500, you'd be ecstatic. 500 heat cycles on a daily driver is 250 days, not even a year. The customer LITERALLY drives the car EVERY day. Sleeves are not a viable option IMHO.

Siegel

27. integroid

If you believe that I have a nice bridge for sale in San Fran. edit: That was sarcasm

Seriously, a properly sleeved block is not limited by heat cycles. I am shocked you wrote that comment.

Also, pinning a block might help with the cylinders from moving or flexing, but it is not going to help the stock sleeve from cracking. Wow, I wonder where you learned about pinning a Subaru block? way to be innovative!

28. b reel

b reel Active Member

Yeah Eddie, I didn't see a point to even respond to that.

29. Ballzo6

Ballzo6 Member

Is it make shit up day....I mean really. So sleeves are limited by heat cycles but pins aren't....You have got to be kidding me

30. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

omgooses what is this

[​IMG]

31. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Uhhhh.... this is right up there with you telling everyone we're closed and out of business. :keke:

32. Ballzo6

Ballzo6 Member

Dude you guys are still open?

33. b reel

b reel Active Member

worse than Obama with your blinded by ignorance fanboys.

34. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

35. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

*Chortles* dude this shows what little you really know about engines and how they work. I can't believe you typed that. I know a TON of daily driven sleeved block cars. One of them is going on 4 yrs with sleeves DAILY driven and driven HARD. The 2.2L Legacys are sleeved.

Just stick to tuning......

36. integroid

This thread is epic fail!

37. b reel

b reel Active Member

No the tuner is epic fail

38. integroid

I think he would of been better off just saying the motor blew up on the dyno.....oh wait

39. integroid

Steve, if you want a sleeved block, I would call Golden Eagle. They have been sleeving blocks for years and they have a lifetime warranty against the sleeves cracking. Plus I think they will make it a closed deck for you so you can run a ton of boost. This would be the safest DD option IMHO if you plan on running 35+ psi. Well, that is if your tune is good....

http://www.goldeneaglemfg.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=1&chapter=0

40. b reel

b reel Active Member

Costa Mesa Machine is also another option with plenty of experience in Subaru sleeves. Have built some of the sickest Subaru engines for sand rails and other applications besides the street.

41. siegelracing

It's not that the sleeves crack. It's that the big thick cast iron expands and contracts differently than the aluminum and eventually the head gaskets go.

The VAST majority of (non-honda) people that have tried sleeves have gotten less than 2 years of daily use out of them before the head gaskets blew.

I will throw down the gauntlet here and ask ANYBODY to produce a list of 10 people they KNOW (not some random guy in some thread on some board) that have run sleeves over 2 years without having to redo head gaskets.

If it's "so common" and "so easy" why hasn't the amazing and apparently perfect TopSpeed EVER sleeved a block??? Why did the TopSpeed RR1 get pins?

I love how when TopSpeed does it, it's great, but when we do it, everybody bashes us.

Whatever.

Seriously, I'll give some nice dinner gift certificates to anybody who can tell me 10 people they've MET that have run sleeves for over 2 years.

Siegel

42. integroid

You tell me 10 people that you personally know that has had a sleeve fail on a properly machined block. If this is so true, why did subaru sleeve the EJ22t blocks? I ran sleeves in my Honda as a DD for more than 2 years without any problems and can probably name 10+ people outside of the Subaru world that have ran a sleeved block for more than 2 years without problems. I did a search on NASIOC for sleeve failures and came up with nothing other than stock sleeves cracking or failing.

I never once said I thought pinning a block was an awesome idea....It worked for TS on Lucy and their RR1 motors...I just think it is funny you took their innovation with you.

I think a sleeved solid deck is the answer but who am I?

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  43. Ballzo6

Ballzo6 Member

This is just getting dumb, what does topspeed have to do with this.

Head gaskets that have failed on sleeved subaru motors have not failed because of the metals expanding and contrasting at different rates. Subaru sleeved motors fail in most cases because of bad machining and the sleeves sink. Which means the steps weren't cut in the block properly.

44. Ballzo6

Ballzo6 Member

for the record the ej22t blocks aren't sleeved any differently than ej25 blocks they are just closed deck

45. integroid

Exactly....so almost all OEM aluminum blocks have steel sleeves in them. I still having a very hard time understanding the logic behind Scott's claims? I mean, it makes absolutely no sense to me what he is getting at.

46. 07Ltd#767

not to place myself in this argument, but wouldn't a block, whether sleeved or not, fail much faster due to the fact you're running 35+psi and 600whp through it? I'm guessing if you sleeved a stg2 or 20g block running 20psi and daily driven, it would go for quite some time???

47. b reel

b reel Active Member

What does Topspeed have to do with this conversation? You try to wow us with some bullshit technical jargon and make yourself look like the idiot that you may very well be. For those of us who have the experience of building high horsepower motors of any make know that there are procedures and maintenance issues that have to be addressed for the longevity of a motor. For most every catastrophic engine failure, I can almost guarantee that there were telltale signs to forewarn the owner of the impending failure. Granted some of those signs would require a tear down of the motor to find, but that's racing baby. If you want to play with the big boys you will know this. As for your 2 year without changing a head gasket comment, this really shows how ignorant you are on the proper care of a high performance engine as with most of the general public. If you think you can take a production or race based motor, bolt on all the crazy power adders, beat on it light to light, on a track or strip and expect it to last 2 years without breaking it down, you're just an idiot.

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  48. 07Ltd#767

it's you're :keke:

49. lobelsteve

lobelsteve Member

Scott, your call on releasing info on motor.
    Hint: initial invoice was May 08, and not from FP.

50. Ballzo6

Ballzo6 Member

Steve, a couple of things and again don't take this as being directed towards you because its not.

If FP didn't build the motor they sure weren't shy about claiming it.

If Topspeed built the motor and it was an actual build problem then FP would have posted it up asap.

A sleeved motor done by a competent machine shop would last you indefinitely.