Forged Performance - Cornfed 07 STI, 2.7L Stroker, 618whp @ 32psi

Discussion in 'Forged Performance' started by Decker@Forged, Jul 15, 2010.

1. lobelsteve

lobelsteve Member

http://www.tirereview.com/Article/8...les_on_the_road_requires_dedicated_tires.aspx

Parted out? No.
    Sold? No.
    Stolen? No.
    Sponsored? Yes.

I've been busy working on my latest toy:

[​IMG]

Had one when I was a kid, wrecked it, and had to get one again.

During the mountain run, the car smoked on the highway. When pulling to a light, she crunched a little and then would not restart. Rather than try road side repair, Sharif flatbedded the car to the shop. Disassembly and reassembly. Parts traded out, added in. Skunkworks type of stuff. The car was flat under 4000RPM, but so are all little cars with big turbos. Forged has a work around for this that does not involve a V8 swap. The car will be done in 1-2 months and then it will get the magazine treatment before getting flogged on the track. It's not a daily driver any more and a cage may be the next step. Yes, still want to get it to the drag strip for low 10's, but I also want Sharif to get a lap around RA to see if my car will beat their other car going around the track. I'm still a crappy driver, but I have a good day job. So,
    Out of money? Nope.

2. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

So it blew up? Cracked a ring land? Screwed a piston ring?

3. lobelsteve

lobelsteve Member

Bad valve over #2.

I'll leave the rest of detail at the discretion of the shop. I'm just an owner/driver. Good news was that Forged found out what was wrong and is fixing it for me.

4. b reel

b reel Active Member

There's no reason to hide a failure, shit happens all the time. Post up what went wrong, might save someone else the heartache and catch an issue before it happens.

Like you I have a little side project I've been tinkering with as well. A little more custom than yours though,

[​IMG]

hope all goes well with both

5. sharif@forged

sharif@forged Member

Nope...a valve seperated in the middle of the stem. Pistons rods, and bearings looked perfect.

6. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Never got an answer to the above?

7. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Ouch close call! Did the valve stay intact?

8. sharif@forged

sharif@forged Member

Yes.

9. sharif@forged

sharif@forged Member

No.

10. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Very lucky indeed that the piston and cylinders didn't suffer any damage. Did the head or the valve guide suffer? I didn't go back and look but stock valves or aftermarket?

11. ballistic

ballistic Member

yeah what brand valves are they?

12. lobelsteve

lobelsteve Member

Not good enough ones.

We are having Cosworth assemble new heads out in California to suit the project.

Should I put a stripe down the center of the car?

13. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Why would you use cosworth, all of their Subaru stuff is just rebadged stuff from other companies?

Just curious
    Matt

14. ballistic

ballistic Member

I think Cosworth uses Ferrea components, which are the only ones worthy of this build

15. lobelsteve

lobelsteve Member

Cosworth is better build quality than Slowwrx brand.

16. b reel

b reel Active Member

Was it not your Cosworth heads that failed to begin with? If you want to bring those heads down and compare them to my $900.00 pair on the Superflow I'll do it free of charge

17. slowwrx

Just trying to help you out. Maybe you should pull the dick out of your ass.

18. b reel

b reel Active Member

This is a slower build than mine and I've been unemployed for a year. Has this been abandoned or what?

19. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I think this car is getting tuned next week from what I read.

20. integroid

I hope they are using a sleeved block this time.

21. b reel

b reel Active Member

I'm waiting for a LOL post followed by the question of what a sleeve is.

22. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Excited to see results, E85 is so bizarrely alluring :) And no, you shouldn't put a stripe down the center. Our body lines don't really look the part for the stripes.

23. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

lol wut is a sleve?!

24. b reel

b reel Active Member

at least spell it correctly you annoying fucking choad

25. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

Innovation takes lots of time. Be patient...

26. b reel

b reel Active Member

the LOL fairy is trying my patience, Steve is on like his third motor to my one build. I'm just pacing myself

27. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

lololololololololloloollolololool

28. integroid

but at least he was able to enjoy it during the three motors unlike you.

29. lobelsteve

lobelsteve Member

I've been busy on my CB700SC and working long hours.
    I hear the car is getting some new parts and will be done shortly.

There will be a media thingy as the car has Pirelli sponsorship and may get some magazine work or print ad stuff. The Enkei PF01 black with Pirelli's new Pzero Trofeo tire will look awesome.

30. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

updated pictures? Though LARGELY impractical, I do still enjoy following high HP subaru builds

31. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

Any progress yet?

32. lobelsteve

lobelsteve Member

Almost forgot I had a car over there. I gotta stop blowing stuff up.
    Been busy at work, busier consulting. Got to get kids to gymnastics, horse riding, soccer, baseball, and even to school.

Spending weekends working on my yard, cases for "folks", MTN biking at Blankets, and on my 1985 CB700SC. Going to the gaps in 2 hours with a riding buddy.

As far as the STI- it's getting done. Already getting the next project started. GTM vs Daytona Coupe vs Jeep Commando. I know I'll build the Jeep, not sure if I want to do a kit car first or after. And I'll prob wind up with a GT-R before I get both of these done.

We can start a new thread for the STI- as it will be a bit different than the last build. Hoping for 700whp. And that it lasts for 60 days or longer. :D

33. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Any updates? It's been a while and this car had potential!

There was a car similar to this one tuned by Sharif a few days ago but it had grill inserts in it.

34. lobelsteve

lobelsteve Member

Grill inserts? Anything is possible. There has been so much done to that car that I won't recognize it. It did get a break in tune on Saturday.....

35. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Lol last picture from the mountain run I saw of this car it had grill inserts. Smh the owner doesnt even know

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  36. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Pic on this first page has stock inserts. Yours has the stainless steel inserts now it seems. I think it was on Saturday I saw the pic of Sharif tuning it. I noticed the Cosworth intake.

37. lobelsteve

lobelsteve Member

Yup. Those were installed recently. And new rims, Pirelli Trofeo tires, bunch of other stuff.

38. b reel

b reel Active Member

How about that scooter?

39. lobelsteve

lobelsteve Member

I got the S1000rr and changed the bars to Apex risers. Added some case guards. Carbon fiber here next week.

Rocketship.

40. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I loved my old one. But I got the dreaded camshaft failure and even though they gave me a new bike....I wanted out of it at that point.

Keep an open ear for that click click click. The camshaft failure is quite common on the S1000RR. But yes it is stupid fast and is an AMAZING machine.

41. sharif@forged

sharif@forged Member

Just put a quick 93 octane break-in tune so Steve can put some miles on the clock before switching to E85. Definitely the strongest numbers we've seen on 93 octane...best number was 528whp at 24psi but I'll let Steve cruise around at 506whp@22psi. :) There is so much more left in this turbo and engine....looking forward to 30-35psi shortly. Dyno charts later.

42. techlord

techlord Active Member

NICE!
    I want a 500+hp 93 tune but don't have 20K to do it. Maybe one day

43. slowwrx

Hmm numbers look about the same as mine, Steve we should run them on pump gas for a comparison.

44. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Very nice Sharif. Keep up the good work!

45. sharif@forged

sharif@forged Member

Sniffer AF reading...real AF 11.5
    [​IMG]

46. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Define sniffer vs real AFR reading?

47. slowwrx

Sniffer is the one that sticks in the tail pipe, it generally reads about a half a point leaner.

Real is a bung welded into the exhaust.

48. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Figured as much. Does it really read half a point leaner in that little distance?

And not criticizing as I'm no tuner but is 11.5 a bit lean for 93 octane? Just wondering as I know SS always aimed for 11 on my pump tunes.

49. slowwrx

Every engine is different. My current setup is running at 12.0. Its totally happy there, mind you my setup is a bit different than most peoples.

50. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned