French Onion Soup SHOWDOWN

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Alex, Mar 10, 2010.

?

What's the "real" cheese to top off your soup with?

1. Gruyere

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. Swiss

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. Parmesan (wth is wrong with you?)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. What's french onion soup?

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  1. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

You're still not getting it. Not everyone makes every single ingredient. You're putting down people for not making their own broth. That gruyere or gouda you use, was that made by you?

You're crazy to believe that EVERY chef makes every ingredient he uses. Cheese, breads, and oils are commonly bought. Not everyone has a garden of vegetables are their disposal or cows to milk.

A canned San Marzano tomato is better than an unripe tomato in winter.

2. calmnothing

You're still not getting it. Not everyone makes every single ingredient. You're putting down people for not making their own broth. That gruyere or gouda you use, was that made by you?

You're crazy to believe that EVERY chef makes every ingredient he uses. Cheese, breads, and oils are commonly bought. Not everyone has a garden of vegetables are their disposal or cows to milk.

Alex I bet your soup came out awesome despite the xylose poisoned broth.

3. calmnothing

Alex I bet your soup came out awesome despite the xylose poisoned broth.

4. calmnothing

5. calmnothing

All this makes your argument a moot point, and I would call shenanigans if you claim that nothing you use is pre-bought or pre-made.

Alex I hope you're enjoying your soup. Sounds delicous. Sorry you and I both lack the time to make broth.

6. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

whatever cheese the chef feels like using at Groumandise off of peachthree industrial in swuanne

7. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

The point is whether it is mass produced or not, quality is still a variable. One may not produce all their ingredients from scratch and I did not state this, most restaurants that produce exceptional foods take pride in the quality of the food ingredients they purchase from food sellers and also what they do make from scratch.

It is also true San Marzano Tomatoes are better than most Tomatoes grown in the United Stated or probably anywhere else in the world because they are from a region in Italy that is famous for that particular Tomato. You pay more for that as apposed to generic tomatoes from Aldi's, RIGHT or NO? San Marzano Tomatoes are actually a higher end product. Thank you for proving my point. That brand is no discount brand it is a high end specialty item!

It is the quality of the ingredients whether you make it, or purchase it i.e. purchasing high end ingredients from local whole sellers as in, the example I gave: "You can buy mass produced onions, beef, or salt, or you can buy organically, or locally produced onions, http://www.n-georgia.com/farmers_markets.htm! You can buy Beef raised in Georgia http://www.whiteoakpastures.com/ and Japanese Sea salt; the best. Combine these products and market them effectively and you can have a excellent menu".Did this statement imply you should raise your own cattle or grow your own vegetables, no, it simply states you can use quality ingredients possibly from local sources. You don't have to grow your own herbs, or raise your own cows to purchase exceptional herbs or beef for your ingredients. The point is even if you are not producing your ingredients from scratch you can take care to purchase quality ingredients when truly cooking from a culinary perspective, or you can mass produce marginal ingredients and make marginal food.

As in the turbo example you gave. Not everyone buys a Bloush or FP, not everyone ports and polishes their turbos and installs custom compressor wheels or housings, some folks are just happy with the off the shelf E-bay special turbos, hay they work just as well.....right, just like marginal foods. Maybe not all folks who take a close look at what they are putting in their engines or in a culinary sense their bodies will be happy with an e-bay turbo or marginal food. Especially if you are paying good money for food or a turbo and have more riding on it like the longevity of your body or your drive train!

Many restaurants don't make everything form scratch but stock is one thing many restaurants especially ones that have allot of soups or sauces on the menu will make from scratch. Unless you are working at maybe an Olive Garden perhaps? It is also a way most restaurants that prep their own vegetables recycle much of what is not used in preparation for main courses i.e. onion peels, carrot ends, parsley ends, celery leaves and unused stalks, meat bones, meat scraps, shrimp shells etc. I know entry level prep Chefs who have been fired or money taken out of their paychecks for throwing such things away, assuming they are waste. They usually go right in the stock.

Just like I said in my original posts. Did I say you should grow them or produce them yourself, no I did not. I stated you can take care to purchase quality ingredients! To make quality foods.

You must work in the front of the house if your in the restaurant business, it's obvious!

Take care to make the most of all the hydrogenated oils, refined sugars and other ingredients you shovel into your body and shun as a problem a few other million or billion folks other than yourself may have to deal with in the long run. The pharmaceutical and medical industries are banking on that quite literally and waiting patiently for you!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  8. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Shenanigans quite literally would be more in the neighborhood of using pre-bought or pre-made marginal ingredients and calling them authentic ingredients in a authentic recipe, if you truly want to get literal. Something many restaurants do these days.

9. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Lolwut

10. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Does it really depend on the restaraunt, why don't you name all the restaraunts in Atlanta that grow or raise all of their own products....go ahead Ill wait

Organic is not an indication of quality so please stop using it as so.

Really is Japanese Sea Salt the best....would you say it has the best salty flavors....what makes it the best. Oh and most of the beef raised in GA is far from the best, one of my Grandfathers is a retired cattle farmer, as well as a "organic gardener". lol

A great chef can produce a great menu from just about anything fresh or not.

While I always like to support GA farmers to say that you can do a strictly GA menu at an affordable price is a joke. You can't possibly be serious.

LOL...no shit but most of them do

Is that place even open at 2am....if you really loved food you would know that at 3am Wes and I can be found at Au Pied de Cochon http://www.aupieddecochonatlanta.com/

Again Ill ask it, did you raise the onions for your soup, how much do you know about the onions you put in it, do you know the name of the guy that picked them. How do you know it was a quality onion?

Did you know its illegal for cattle to be slaughtered if they die of natural causes

Grill the fuck out of it and slap some sauce on it....yeah ok

God I wish I knew as much as you do about everything food

11. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Best line in this whole thread. This is how I was taught to cook, cook with what you've got and make it great. And that you dont need to go out and blow a bunch of money at the store to make tasty food.

WRXcoupe, what school did you teach at that taught you to be such an elitist fuck? Obviously you've never heard the mantra that those who cant do, teach; I guess thats why you taught at an culinary academy, since you probably cant handle the stress of a friday night rush.

12. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Nice, now this is an interesting thread :)

13. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Its the way I was taught to cook

14. Alex

Makes me think about that book, A Man, A Can, A Plan

15. calmnothing

So, um did you save us any alex?

16. Alex

Sure haha. Brought some down to the shop today and left the rest at home. You're welcome to have some :)

17. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

:argue:

Wow!!!

Reading this post just made me really hungry...bout to get some Krystals and a 40 from BP...damn that's all i can afford till pay day.

Oh yea
    Gruyere cheese IMO