G200/Helix Turboback is in place with Cobb stage 2!!

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by baddriver, Jul 17, 2006.

1. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

After taking what seemed like years chosing a catback to go with the Helix catted downpipe I decided to run with the Invidia G200.

I like that the G200 is a resonated system with a flex hinge, and that the muffler actually tucks under the bumper a bit and looks more integrated with the car. I held off on this system for a while because the 4.5" tip is quite large, but I later figured that If I was ok with a 1 foot high spoiler on the trunk then the Folgers can may actually balance out the car.

When I tried to buy it most places were out of stock and the G200 was on a 2 to 3 week backorder from Invidia. I did want to mention that unlike many NASIOC vendors I called, Mike Sakari was upfront about the Invidia backlog for the G200.

mckenziejt installed the turboback, and during the installation we were pleasantly suprised that the G200 muffler and it's gentle slant actually clears the 2006 STi's rear diffuser. :cool:

I did end up with a small issue, and the issue was that instead of listening to Alex, I listened to the advice of the vendor I ordered from, :hsnono: and did not purchase the Kartboy long exhaust hangers. Without these the aft-outer portion of the resonator slaps the side of the exhaust, driveshaft channel in the floorpan.

I ordered the hangers and they should be here by Thursday or Friday.

As for the exhaust, with the Cobb stage-2 reflash I really feel more pull, and with the silencer in the car's noice is pretty dame untill I open up the throtte.

With the silencer out the car is loud doing anything more than creeping in a parking lot barely above idle RPM, and I do notice some exhaust drone. The exhaust tone is kind of a lower frequency burble, and I am really happy with it.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2006
  2. jayj713

jayj713 Member

Is it really that loud? I thought it was quiet compared to other exhausts? I might have to get a ride in your car one day :p

3. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

I think it's loud, but I'm new to the world of aftermarket exhausts on Subarus.

I do really like the sound. Driving home on the interstate I was able to cruise at 85 MPH in 6th and I was fine with the cabin noise, but if I wanted to accelerate at all and put load on the engine it gets a bit throaty-droany.

4. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

loud is definitely a relative term... how many milo's is your exhaust? :rofl:

5. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

Milo, I did hear your exchaust on black knight #1, but that was indoors and on a dynopack @ SoG , and that was mind numbingly loud.

I think I may have set off a car alarm in the Publix parking lot though. :eek3:

Hehehe

6. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

:D thank you :D

7. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

If you set off car alarms in a parking garage...maybe .75 Milos.....if you set off car alarms three floors above you.......1.0 Milos...:keke:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  8. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I set off almost every 'newer' model car in the airport parking garage when I dropped the fiancee off last Christmas. I was laughing as I was creeping by.

9. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

well I guess I'm at .75 it may get louder when I get the up installed.

10. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

it's fun to try and pick out cars you think might have sensitive car alarms..viz. BMWs and blip the throttle a bit to see if you're right. How many milos is "I drive with earplugs now for highway trips" worth?

11. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

for me, gotta be at least 2... i drove to dallas from atlanta... with my dad in the car :keke:

12. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

:eek3: that's like 12 hours, ouch!!!

13. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

Today mckenzietj installed the long Kartboy exhaust hangers that just came in.

After putting these in the annoying buzzy floorpan rattle and resonater clunks went away, and it sounds much better now.

14. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2006
  15. flip

flip Member

LOLOL, i feel the car alarm thing. I park in a parking deck in front of the CNN center and most every night I walk out of the lot with 5+ alarms going off. I've heard alarms from as far as 3 levels up going off ;). I don't even rev it up either hahaha.