genesis coupe

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mokinbird87, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Ams has also gotten their hands on theirs and have already started developing parts for it. I can't wait to see what can be done with this car.

2. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Matt,
    Are you interested in the V6 or the 2.0T? I didn't think the turbos were out yet?

3. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Turbos just hit the lot a few days ago. I honestly wouldn't even consider the V6. The 2.0t is lighter and is going to be cheaper to modify.

4. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

You guys read about these issues with the 2.0T?

“Wildly erratic power cut when shifted at redline is almost a deal breaker. It's completely unpredictable and seemingly unrelated to rev limit. Perhaps some combo of hard shifts at redline triggers it? Either way, it's bad.”

“Accelerating the Genesis quickly can be tricky because of a drivetrain protection feature built into its engine calibration. Shift the Genesis coupe aggressively at redline and you'll occasionally experience a power cut in your target gear which lasts 3 seconds.
    The problem is exacerbated by the car's tachometer, which doesn't keep up with the engine speed in the first few gears, so it's too easy to run the engine to its 6,800-rpm maximum speed (redline is 6,500 rpm). Hyundai says the drivetrain protection is triggered at 6,800 rpm, but once it intervened, we experienced a power reduction in the next gear at much lower engine speeds. Run this V6 to the rev limiter in any given gear and it will hang there comfortably. But if you shift hard and quickly at the indicated redline, you'll occasionally be punished with that cut in power.
    Hyundai is considering a new calibration, but there are cars going on sale that incorporate this 3-second power intervention, a feature that can punish drivers at engine speeds well below redline. Some people won't notice it, but to others it could be a deal breaker in the purchase of a Genesis 3.8 coupe.”

5. slowwrx

They already have a reflash available at the dealership. Plus what that doesn't fix I'm sure the after market flashes will fix quickly. Part of the problem is an electronically controlled BOV that operates off a vacuum reserve canister in the intake manifold. The ECU can open the BOV anytime it wants to control the engine.

6. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

Matt what dealerships have the turbo's in stock?

7. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

Iv'e been in a 370z and that would be the car I choose. Not sure if it is even a competitor to the Genesis though...

8. slowwrx

Ed Voyles on 41 out by me has them, you want this ez30r....

9. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

People have made the comparisons, but the Genesis has a back seat, and in 2.0T trim its quite a bit cheaper, thousands cheaper..

10. slowwrx

Personally I think the 2.0t (Rspec) is one of the best car deals ever. 23K for a 2.0 liter turbocharged rwd car with brembos and a 6 speed.

11. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Cool looking car but tiny as hell on the inside.

12. longfury

longfury Active Member

Only thing that made it tough for me was that the steering wheel does not telescope. If I could have pulled the wheel out about 1-2 inches I would have been very comfortable in it.

I like the car but the lack of a telescoping wheel would take it off my list if I was in the market for a coupe.

13. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

I sat in one at the ajc auto show and I found it pretty roomy. Overall it seemed like a very well put together car.

14. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

I feel the same way after looking at them at the auto show. That steering wheel felt like CRAP

15. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

What car isn't for you? :rofl:

16. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

17. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

Looks nice...probably is nice...but i remember getting stranded on a highway in a brand new Exel my friend had (it had 2700 miles)...so that kind of tarnished my views of the automaker...

18. Trey

Trey Active Member

Anyone notice the new commercial with the yellow car drifting is at Road Atlanta. Last shot is turn 10b.

19. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

That can happen with ANY car though. Not a valid reason to dismiss an automaker. That is why warranties are there.

20. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

True, there's a lemon in every automaker...but have you seen any of the first cars that Hyundai has made on the road today? I still 1985 Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, Fords, etc...

Like I said..it looks nice and it probably is nice...

21. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Hyundai has come a very long way since they put their first cars on the road. My sister, and both my parents drive Hyundais and they all love their cars.

22. midnight302

midnight302 New Member

sounds good..not so hot on the interior

23. 2thAche

2thAche Member

I think Hyundai is advancing alot and it's good to put some pressure on the higher-priced cars in it's class.

It's kind of a pig though at 3400 pounds and RWD for a coupe.

24. jadeb0x

jadeb0x New Member

test drove both the 2.0T track and the V6... 2.0T felt like it was missing some grunt, V6 was nice... but i ended up with a 370Z.