Getting Spray Paint Off My Stockers

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Zellner, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Zellner

Zellner Member

Let me start by saying, I am on a personal mission to de-rice anything on this car that is even questionable. Right now Im replacing spray painted interior trim and rims, with that said...

The spray paint that the previous owner put on my rims is gold and flaking at the edge.

I dont like the shade of gold it is anyway and Id prefer the stock color.

Question is: Can I pressure wash the spray paint off instead of laborous sanding/ other methods?

Because theyre just stock 02 WRX rims and temporary... Im really loking for some 06-07 WRX rims for the long haul. (Let me know if you have some for sale, or know of some for sale)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  2. John

John Active Member

AutoZone carries a Rustoleom (spelling) spray can of wheel paint that Alloy color. I've used it and it looks like stock wheels if you do a decent job painting. Thats probably the easiest option

Here is what my result turned out like

[​IMG]

3. Zellner

Zellner Member

Yeah id paint over the gold but its flaking all around the lip so Ive got to get it off somehow

4. Jake

Jake Active Member

Take them somewhere and get thrm sandblasted/powdercoated, its like $25 a wheel at miller in atlanta iirc

5. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

more like $80 a wheel.

6. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

buy my stockers for 50.

7. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Try Goof Off. I just used some to get some paint scrapes off my stockers and it worked beautifully. Just make sure you do it in a very well ventilated area. Its at least worth a shot at $7 or $8 a can.

8. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

If it is just spray paint I bet a goos pressure washer would get most of it off.

I would say just buy Mie's for $50.

9. Zellner

Zellner Member

If they come with tires that are decent Ill do it lol

And Im researching the Goof Off now thanks for the suggestion!

Edit: looked it up. I think I should get the Graffiti Remover Goof Off, says it works for metal...? And where can I buy this stuff locally?

10. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

The regular Goof Off aerosol can you can pick up at Home Depot. I would call and ask if they carry the Graffiti Remover flavor. It would probably be smart to test an area on the wheel that will not be seen first (inside of the rim maybe). For what its worth though it did not seem to affect the factory silver finish at all when I used it.

11. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Tires are shot. I'll knock another 20 off so you can afford to swap your tires over.

12. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Koko will rip you off with cracked wheels.

I keed I keed.

13. Zellner

Zellner Member

Ok you got a deal if this Goof Off stuff doesnt work like a charm.

And btw happen to have any 06-07 WRX stockers?

14. nygiant

nygiant Member

pics of stockers?

15. Jake

Jake Active Member

where did i hear $25? i know there is a place down here around that price as well. gonna have the BMW and Buell done

16. Zellner

Zellner Member

Get outta here!!! lol

17. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Aircraft paint stripper....it'll take all that paint off like butta.