High Performance and Traction Control

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by J-Rad, Dec 20, 2014.

1. J-Rad

J-Rad New Member

When I went to my SRDEC a few weeks ago, I had a blast and felt like I learned an enormous amount about driving and handling my car. I felt like actually being near my cars limits, and seeing first hand how certain inputs were no longer generating effects, was humbling. It was my first high performance event in a high(er) powered car.

There was only one instance where my TC or VDC intervened. I was making a tight right turn, came on the gas a little too hot, and started to slide, driver door first. I caught the first snap back to left, slid a little more that-a-ways, corrected that one, too, and we were back on our way. It lasted maybe 7 seconds, possibly only 5. But I've thought about it a lot in the weeks since.

What I'm hung up on is that that TC light was flashing non-stop while the whole thing was happening. And, basically, I've wondered how much it did, vs what I did, and if I would have actually been able to save the oversteer without it. In retrospect, I wish I had turned it off, just so I could have spun out on my own faults or saved it on my own merits, but we're past that now!

So, in future events I'm planning on running with the TC as off as i can set it, and wondering what others thoughts or opinions are on that. Do you never even think about it, or do you religiously turn it off before each mountain run? Do you only turn it off when you're doing a rally-x run?

What have been your experiences with it, on or off, specifically in track or competitive events. Less concerned with 'I had to swerve to aviod a cat and it came on!'.

2. Tireboi

Tireboi Member

Whenever I am in any car on the track I turn traction control off. Imo it creates more problems.

Ran thru t12 at ra forgot I had tc on and that bastard kicked on needless to say it made the car upset.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  3. J-Rad

J-Rad New Member

See, that's kinda what I'm asking! I won't hesitate to admit, I'm a stone cold newbie when it comes to actual-track-style driving, so when you say upset, did it just pull power, did it just violently throw the car back towards 'straight'?

I guess what I'm asking is, what problems did it create for you?

4. Stetson

Stetson Member

I actually suggest to leave TC on until you have some more seat time and understand the dynamics of your car when driving it at the limit. Depending on your experience level, TC may save you from a pretty serious incident.

Once you get some track time, some experience and understand what your car will do at the limit, then turn TC off.

I suggest you come out with Just Track It - we'll set you up with an in-car instructor in the Novice run group and get you some serious in car experience. Our Road Atlanta event next weekend is sold out for Novices, but we have openings for Barber in February. Check out our webpage justtrackit.net for more info about us and our events.

We are growing our Subaru crowd...love to have you join us at the track.

Stetson

5. J-Rad

J-Rad New Member

I could use some more seat time, that is for sure! I appreciate the invite. I may have to sit this one out, as I am behind the 8-ball a little with my finances, but I am scouting different track-events from different groups. You're definitely on the radar!

6. Stetson

Stetson Member

Great to hear that you've noticed us out there!

We have a very strong novice program at our events where we will assign you a dedicated instructor for the day to help get you moving. All our instructors are certified by either NASA, PCA or BMWCCA so the quality of in car instruction is very high.

We typically have an event a month so when you are ready - we'll have a spot for ya.

Stay Frosty,

Stetson