HKS bov

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Greg, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Greg

Greg Active Member

I have the older version of the hks SSQV and I was wondering what the "lower frequency" adapter sounded like... Right now, its the usual high pitched PSHHH, like a bird noise. But what is the other one?

[​IMG]

2. Jake

Jake Active Member

i thought u had a GFB BOV...????

but i don't know anything about that one

3. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

I think it sounds like a plain-ol' gust of air minus the typical SSQV "bird chirp".

4. Greg

Greg Active Member

so if I recirc it 100%... what do i get? Stock sound, or just wastgate flutter (woo-ch-ch-ch)? I have an intake btw

5. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

The gold tip is the one on there now except its silver. The round tip is the wha cha cha sound. I think the recirculating would just sound like stock and probably make you run lean again.

6. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

I don't see how it would run lean with a recirculating BOV. Recirc is ideal so that the entire quantity of intake air measured at the MAF is involved in combustion. Assuming that everything else if working properly, AFRs should be happy with a recirculating BOV setup.

7. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

So where does it recirc from?...Never saw one that wasn't 100% atmosp

8. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

You can get the recirc. fitting for this BOV. However, it would require some creative plumbing to get the recirc. hose back to the inlet hose as it doesn't line up quite like the stock valve.

9. Greg

Greg Active Member

its also a 1" diam. fitting going to a 2" diam hose... BUT it recircs back into the intake. Your stock computer compensated for that extra charge of air with and extra little bit of fuel. So, if that air doesn't go back into the intake, and goes to the atmosphere, your still getting that extra little bit of fuel which will cause it to run rich. With a tune though, it can be fixed

10. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

So is the new one just as difficult to make recirc? thanks for these answers btw, sorry I'm treadjacking

11. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

it changes the sound to this....

w00 w00t

:rofl:

12. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

oh noes...I'm sending it back now.....:eek:hnoes:

13. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

It can indeed be compensated for through tuning, but not completely. The "hiccup" caused by that momentary rich condition with a atmospheric BOV will still remain even after tuning. I'm sure some of the more tuning savvy guys on here can elaborate.

14. Greg

Greg Active Member

I had a VERY small stutter before my protune with the 50/50, but after the tune, it was smooth as butta. Scott even thought so

15. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

You might've gotten lucky on that one. I know my SSQV was on the car for two days. After some horrible bobbles and a stall in the Wendy's drive-thru, I sold that thing and went back to the stock bypass valve.

16. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

itsa waste of money..dont do it

17. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

well its hard to describe the sound with words. lol

ive heard so far... who chacha. and wo ch ch ch . pssh pshh. lol

and woot woot~! lol

go and search the insert sound clips and you will hear it.

http://www.935motorsports.com/hksbov.htm

18. Jake

Jake Active Member

i like jason's TurboXS type h (non-rfl). it has the ffffeerr fffffeerrr fffffeerrrr

19. Greg

Greg Active Member

hahaha wtf

20. Kyle

Kyle Member

I have seen quite a few recirculating HKS SSQV's. I thought there was a kit for it but IDK. You will still hear the bov though, it will def. not sound stock.