hood liner?

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by Mad Mallard, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

not sure where to stick this post (other than where the sun dont shine)

What is the purpose of that fiberous hood liner? Noise? heat?

2. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

what is that?

3. SkullWRX

SkullWRX Member

i think it's the yellow-ish (When you buy the car...) matting on the underside of the hood. My understanding is noice and heat but i don't know for sure. Noise on the subie seems irrelevant because there's a big hole in the hood to let the noise out so i'd guess mostly heat.

4. Mad Mallard

heat as in keeping exterior heat out? or what?

5. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

someone told me its fire protection... if there's a fire in the engine bay, the liner melts and drips onto the fire, helping to put it out and not spread into the cabin...

i may be wrong :confused:

6. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

ive never heard of it used for that, im pretty sure its for keeping the heat in the engine bay, so the paint on the hood doesnt bubble/burn your skin if you touch it.

7. SkullWRX

SkullWRX Member

Does anyone else find it ironic that most of us can explain a lot about turbos, suspension, exhaust, etc specific to our cars but don't know what the hood liner does even though it's univeral to almost all cars??

8. Mad Mallard

maybe we should call up a factory tech? ;p

maybe an SOG hotline?

9. gt9729b

gt9729b Member

10. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

good thread above, I've also heard its for fire suppression. I prolly wouldn't mess with it....what do you gain? It can't weigh much and you never see it anyway. If I have my hood open, I'm looking at something in the engine bay anyway...

11. Mad Mallard

i was just wondering if it was there for some kind of thermal benefit if it would be served up better by some BQUIET or DYNAMAT

12. soobaroo227

soobaroo227 Member

I've always heard they were there for fire suppression also.

13. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

moved this where i thought it fits best