House Robbery

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by superdoughboy4, Sep 8, 2012.

1. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Hey guys. Some of you may not care but today, some little fuckers broke into my house and stole a few things.

Items stolen:
    Sony Playstation3 Slim
    -2 (possibly 3 as the third one was lost anyway) as well as a PS2 controller hooked up with a USB converter. One of the PS3 controllers has a ruined left analog as it turns on itself.
    Serial #: CG828993454

Hori Fighting Stick V3 for the PS3. Black.

4 games: Gran Turismo 5, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Infamous, King of Fighters 13.

Dell StudioXPS: Black with silver trim. Had a leather-like section of the cover behind the silver trim.
    Specs: Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2 RAM, Blu-Ray Player, Radeon 5500.
    Minute detail: silver trim that wraps around the hinge on the left is a little damaged. It's not fitted properly anymore and is loose.

Nintendo DS Lite: White with an R5 cartridge and a 2GB microSD card.

HTC Evo 3D. Black. Sprint.

Sansa Fuze 2GB MP3 Player: Black

JEWELRY

Diamond Ring: 2/3 carat, $2300 (20 years ago), gold band

Amethyst Ring: (unknown worth) Long Oval jewel, gold band

Golden hoop earrings: $30, quarter size.

The fuckers broke into my house by prying off the screen shield for the window in the kitchen and somehow got the window open. They rummaged through all of my room, wallets, drawers, as well as my mom's drawers and jewelry cases.
    They went through the drawers in my living room. They left my house through the back sliding door and left it open.

Some of it may not be worthwhile but it was objects that are owned by my FAMILY that were STOLEN by some fucking LOSERS.
    Very likely these fucks live in my neighborhood. They've scouted out my house and the scheduled times that we leave the house. Mom and sister are in Alabama for a flea market business while I was at work from 7 to 2:30.

Just wanted to ask if you guys could help me out by keeping a look out for some of this stuff. I know it's a long shot but it's worth a try.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  2. b reel

b reel Active Member

got 5 rocks for the rings

3. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

I'll keep an eye on craigslist

4. superdoughboy4

Also, does anybody recommend any home security services? The only people that come to mind is ADT.
    We've lived in this neighborhood for 11 years. And today somebody decides to take advantage of nobody being home and break in.
    A big mistake is that we don't have any home security services. I would like to move out of this getting-to-be-shitty neighborhood, but that's not realistic right now.
    I'm afraid they might try to do it again, having explored and ventured my fucking HOME, knowing exactly what we have and where.

5. b reel

b reel Active Member

comcast

6. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I use Ackermen at my house because they didnt charge me any extra since I dont have an analog home phone line. I believe the service I have works off of either RF or Cell service. Tested a few times and works perfectly and get a call within a minute after the alarm goes off.

7. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Damn man sorry to hear.I know you must feel violated. Do you have a dog? May want to invest in a big one. Not only would you have a friend but you will have a decent theft deterrent because I'm sure it was probably some knucklehead kids like the ones that would break into the houses in my mom's neighborhood. Good luck man.

8. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Sorry to hear this. Start checking pawn shops in your area

9. Jake

Jake Active Member

my parents got robbed when we lived in atlanta (granted that was over 20yrs ago) and their wedding bands and high school rings got stolen among other jewelry. they saw them both the next week in a local pawn shop. just check around, as long as you have a police report you could claim it back (but its long and arduous and will cost you more than the items are worth probably). sucks it takes a robbery to make people get security.

check with brinks (recently changed names). remember security companies are like cable companies, shop around and when yours raises your rates inexplicably 3months down the road, threaten to switch and they'll bend over backwards.

10. superdoughboy4

Thanks a lot guys for the concerns. The office that came by actually mentioned about items being pawned and the like. He said that the pawning process is not as simple as trading money for items anymore. A lot of paperwork goes into the process of it all. The pawn shops actually have to report items that are taken in on a regular (I think he said daily) basis just so the local police department is notified and knows of the items at certain pawn shops. I will try to look around the pawn shops anyway though.

From the items stolen, the thieves are kids that live in my neighborhood. Some punk teenagers that stole items that their parents won't buy them. Aside from the jewelry anyway. They'll probably try to pawn those for sure.

I'll look around home security services. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I had actually been meaning to hookup some cameras in the house because the neighborhood recently over the past 6 months has had a couple of burglaries. It was really only a matter of time I guess...

I would love a dog. But I really don't think I would have the time to take care of one. Nor would anyone else in the house.
    Though after today's incident, I do feel like staying at home more than going out at all so I may have more time to take care of it.
    But for my finances, I probably couldn't even afford it.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  11. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

as someone who has recently been violated, there's no security system that will protect you. Fucking dickbag lifeless fucks like this search for the easiest victims they can find. Unfortunately, I was a victim due to circumstances beyond my control - that said, if you don't give criminals an easy opportunity, 99 out of 100 times they won't proceed.

Sucks dude, I know the feeling of insecurity you have after people come into your home uninvited. My best advice is to fuck security systems (a sign will do 99% of the work, the actual service doesn't mean jack shit) and make yourself less of a target than your neighbors. Sucks it's gotten to this point, unfortunately that's where we're at, though.

Gun > dog > don't give them a reason > sign showing security > actual security

12. superdoughboy4

I have been meaning to get a firearm. The wheels that are just sitting in my dining room will probably be what funds it.
    And the sign displaying that you do have security, it's funny because my friends were talking about that when they were over. And I do believe it to be true; the sign scares away a lot of people anyway. But I think it will scare people away that know what security systems are in homes and what they do.
    If these little shitheads didn't know anything about home security, they probably would have just disregarded the sign. MAYBE.
    But a sign is definitely in order. I need to get one quick.

There was nothing I could have done to prevent this burglary from happening unfortunately. My mom, sister, and I all left the house at 7AM.
    I got home at 2:30PM to find our back door open and the window open without the screen, and our house ransacked.
    If they had fucked up my schedule this week, which they do on occasion, it may have been prevented as I would have been home most of the day today instead of gone at work for 7 to 8 hours.
    Or it would have just been postponed. Either way it happened and it fucking blows.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  13. integroid

Buy a shotgun and put a few of these stickers around your house.
    [​IMG]

14. Texsun

Texsun Member

haha!

15. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

16. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

17. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Remember to check with the cash for gold places too. They have to keep all jewelry for 7 days before melting it down, and they usually take pictures of every piece they take in.

18. stirhino

stirhino Member

Alarm wont do anything. I once had my door kicked in and before they did that they cut the phones lines so the cops never came. Better off just buying some ADT stickers and yard signs.

19. superdoughboy4

Some people told me that there are services that don't use landlines. We don't have an actual phone that we use, though we do have a fax.
    I'll have to see what's up with that.
    But signs are going up for sure.

20. My parents just got a free cell based alarm system installed from their alarm company.I would highly recommend this esp. since they/(+ I) do not use/have a landline.It may cost you a little based on the company..If you have a landline then a regular system will work.I recommend at least 2 sirens one inside and one outside out of reach..

21. stirhino

stirhino Member

After that I purchased a Wireless RF system that is used to transmit if phone lines got cut but it was a pain in the arse. If it lost signal for any reason it would cause a error on the key pad making it beep until signal was reacquired. Then anytime my phone service went down I would get a call from the alarm company saying my phone line just went down. Well hell after a few of those calls you stop going home to check it out just to find out the phone company was working in the area and the lines were down.

22. integroid

The wireless ackerman system I have at my house has been working flawlessly for over a year. I even test my system every month to make sure it is ok and always get a call back from them within a minute after the alarm is tripped.

23. stirhino

stirhino Member

Mine was brinks.

24. integroid

We have ackermen at work as well running wireless backups and none of them have failed on us.

25. b reel

b reel Active Member

alarms and signs? really? they should make a TV show about this shit

26. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

27. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

The best home security I have found around here are those homes with large dogs that will bark. People are terrified of Rottweilers, GSDs, Dobermans, etc.

28. b reel

b reel Active Member

around here they just shoot the dog

29. ghionw

ghionw Member

Sorry to hear dude. My house wasn't robbed but they did break into my car parked in my driveway while I was asleep and took a bunch of my stereo equipment. I felt violated. The crooks were stupid enough to post it on IA the next day and I was lucky enough to have been lurking that site. I got damn near all my shit back.

Hopefully you get your shit back. Won't home insurance cover the stolen merchandise?

30. superdoughboy4

Unfortunately, we don't have home owner's insurance. Or rather, my mom's aunt does not have home owner's insurance. Technically, we're renters of the house. And we don't have any insurance for the house.
    So we won't be getting anything back for the stolen items.

31. integroid

renter's insurance is cheap.....you should probably get some. They will most likely strike again...especially if you dont do something to prevent them from breaking in again. It happened to me 3 times in one year down in college. I got insurance after the 2nd time.

32. superdoughboy4

Yeah these fuckers think they're coming back. When my mom and sister came back from Alabama, my mom found that a set of turn keys were also missing. They More than likely thought the house keys were on it. Getting a firearm will definitely make sure hey don't come back.
    Tomorrow I'll be getting an estimate on a home security system called Protection Security. It's owned by Koreans I guess and I see a group of them everyday and I hook them up so they will hook me up with free installation with a rate of 19.95 a month with everything included, even their CCTv system. I'll see how it is and might just get my own if it's not to my liking.

33. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

what good is a firearm if youre not home?

34. b reel

b reel Active Member

I have anti-theft laminate on all my windows, cell alarm with battery backup, dead bolts and a few surprises if you get into my house while I'm not there. There are quite a few cheap DIY things you can do to keep the trash out of your house, look into those as well.

Most auto ins companies offer renters, do some research on your company then call your agent if it looks like a good deal.

Having the proverbial stick broken off after my VDub was stolen, insurance is the way to go even if they don't cover the full loss.

35. superdoughboy4

Self defense in general amongst if anybody tries to break in when we're sleeping or something.
    If they think they know our house schedule, I'm going to try to catch these fucks. They do plan on coming back.

I'll do that. I've been thinking about setting something up in the house. But the limitation in size is what may not work.
    I will definitely look into it though.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  36. Smokin_Joe

Smokin_Joe Member

my only advice: Home inventory

there are plenty of "Apps" that allow you to photograph the home/apartment/etc, store that information along w/ all serial numbers, cost, receipts of purchase, etc

doing that will help you file an insurance claim in the long run

if you do get a firearm, at least do yourself a favor and hide or take it with you when you leave.

Also, re-key your locks

we were robbed in college...since that was like 15 years ago...we didn't have much..just 4 poor college dudes in a jacked up old house. Our only loss was the playstation 1, playstation games, our 32" tube tv, some CD's, my speakers...they could tell it was just a college party house so we weren't hit too bad.

Joe

37. integroid

All of that would do him no good since he does not have insurance.

38. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

No insurance? Now that's dumb.

39. superdoughboy4

I'll be looking into getting renter's insurance with Nationwide, since that's who we have our auto insurance with.
    Hopefully it won't be too expensive with them.

You're absolutely right. It is dumb. And I can not fucking believe that the home owner (my mom's aunt) didn't even have home owners insurance.

40. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Even if she did have homeowners insurance I do not believe she is obligated to do anything about the robbery unless something that she owned was stolen.

41. superdoughboy4

Yeah probably. And unfortunately, if that were the case, it would not have been the first time that they fucked us over.

42. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Just get rental insurance under your name. It's stupid cheap if you combine it with your auto insurance.

43. lucky13

lucky13 Member

Yea. Like 15ish bucks a month.

44. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

Sorry to just now be chiming in. Being broken into is defintiely the worst feeling in the world. We had the one unprotected spot in the house get broken into, luckily we had a motion sensor they set off though and very little was taken. It's definitely worth to look into a home security system as it's worth the $. We had ADT and they were very responsive and never had a problem w/ them. Best of luck and really hope you get your stuff back, or maybe catch the people that did it somehow