How much to hold a used car for four days?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Matto357, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

How much is a reasonable amount for a dealership to request to hold a used car for a few days while you get all your ducks in a row?

Car value is around 12k.

2. Jake

Jake Active Member

I wouldn't do that ever. If you can't afford it today, it's not meant to be. But if its anything over $1000 they're insane

3. Matto357

Not for me. For my sister. It's not even an issue of being able to afford the car, it's just the funds are tied up in a ira transfer snafu that the bank won't fix till Monday.

I think even 1k is high, I was thinking more 500. Dealership wants 2k which is crazy. I've told my sister to walk, but she really likes the car, gonna go talk to them tomorrow. It's one of our local Subaru dealerships to boot.

4. Jake

Jake Active Member

yeah, i mean i understand the snafu with the funds. but still, if its not there when you go with the funds, then its not meant to be. find another one, or better yet have them order it. i can understand them maybe wanting a deposit for ordering one. but for one that's sitting there and they might sell anyways, just tell the customers 'no promises it will be here when you come back'.

and yeah, $2000 is outrageous

5. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Fuck that. Walk away and go back when the money is available and hope its still there.

6. orndog

orndog Member

If you're going to pay cash anyway, just finance it and then pay it off immediately.

7. Matto357

That's what I told her. Dealership even pulled the "someone else is looking at it right now, out that deposit down" line. Which may be true, or it may be bullshit. Either way it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

8. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

This

9. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

No. Tell her to walk. You never know maybe they will drop the price a little more when she walks.

10. orndog

orndog Member

I think the problem here is "she". She has her heart set on this one certain can-never-be-replaced vehicle.
    The best advice has all been given.
    FWIW I've had a dealer hold a car for $20.

11. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

The Audi Dealership held my S4 for $500 deposit and held it for a week until I could get down there.

12. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

deposit is key - are you getting the money back? If so, pay whatever; but if they're adding it on top of the bill, laugh at them as you walk away.

stop protecting the dealership - you don't owe them any favors, they're not on your side. May help naming it, as someone on here may be able to help out through connections of their own

13. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Walk away and come back when she has the cash. Also offer less when she comes back since the other imaginary person backed out.

14. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Nah, they deducted it from the total cost at the end.

15. Smokin_Joe

Smokin_Joe Member

same here. They held it for $25 bux on a debit transaction.

they didn't want to do it but it was commitment from me.
    Joe

16. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Did she end up getting the car?