I hate the WRX now...

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Cool_____, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

woohoo...fabrication!!

2. crashtke

crashtke Member Supporting Member

I still think lexan/polycarbonate would be cool! I guess I will have to wait till I get my AEM on there and get everything tuned. I like the idea of the scoop from the foglight, however I hesitate to give up my fog lights. I guess I will have to figure something else for myself, but that sounds like an awesome idea. I noticed that on summit they carry some sticky heat shield mats that have adhesive on one side and heat shield on the other. Something like that might work to insulate the metal around the filter. They sell it in mats and it can be cut to size. Just a thought!

3. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I'll be working on this but now I can't play with the car anymore......I just found out this morning that the methanol pump is freaking leaking for the 3rd time! I am really really regretting going methanol injection now.

4. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

in a recent modified magazine featuring the zerosports STi, they have used a similar design

5. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Hey Milo you read the above? Meth pump busted again. A trunk mount kit is being sent by SMC....they rock for customer service! The engine bay heat kills the system.

6. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i think the meth is whats killing the seals... im not trying to jinx you but skeptical about a trunk mounted tank will solve your problems

7. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Well there are two issues. Meth is softening the seals. Then when the meth boils the seals break. Moving to the trunk will solve the heat issue. Steve has just gotten his hands on a new seal supplier that have better seals that are made of a different compound that can withstand the heat and the meth. Steve has told me that he will switch the seals out for me when he releases the new pumps in a month or two. It take around 3 months for me to pop a leak so I'll wait. I really have no choice. Steve actually told me that I may want to run denatured alcohol but that'll screw my tune and with me being 5 hours from SS it's not worth it.

8. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Well I got my box built today. It was HARD! The ABS system was in the way and the sensors in front of the struct tower was in the way. Then I had to account for the short ram and then the FMIC piping. Man I am cut up and it looks really ghetto. Maybe it'll look better when I paint it but I don't care really. What matter is the temps are now only 5 degrees higher than outside temps tonight. Tomorrow will be the real test in the middle of the day. I did notice that when I am sitting still the temps went up but as soon as I started moving that immediately dropped. I am happy for now and I'll probably work on something cleaner later in the year. It isn't like someones gonna see it anyways.

I also should mention that I put the factory foglight cover for the WRX in and ran a pipe up to the rear hole in the fender and also hacked the stock ram air snorkel to feed the box area.

9. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Just FYI on intake temps: We logged my and Ming's cars this evening and were seeing around 10 degrees over ambient on the stock intake.

10. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Well took the car out today and it just stopped raining like 30 min prior. It was HUMID as crap and all the banks say it was 90 degrees out. Look at the logger and voila 96 degree intake temps. I'm happy whether its a crap box or not. If it wasn't for the FMIC piping it would've been so easy but ha. I may piece some CF to lay on top of the box to clean it up. Anyways the temps are down and the car is happier....now waiting for the meth pump replacement to come in so I can romp on the ol rex.

11. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Still working better than the stock box. Never rises over 8 degrees above ambient. We are gonna try to make a mold out of my rough sketch and make one out of CF and then maybe sell them if people want.

I'm surprised no one's yelled out pics.....*sniff sniff* I feel left out.... :keke:

12. crashtke

Pics!!!

13. Genya

Genya No Longer Up At Odd Hours

I didnt read the whole thread, and probablly not relavant, but what are your coolant/oil temps?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  14. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Coolant temps are 30ish degress Celsius. Oil temps I have no clue!

15. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

30??

16. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

pics dammit!!!!

we want 'em pronto...

17. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I think....I never log coolant temps....I will next time.

18. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Here are the pics.

First the foglight intake...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then the box itself with the snorkel also feeding air
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Keep in mind that this was the first mock up just to see if the theory works and it indeed did. We are gonna clean it all up soon and make one out of CF with straightened edges and smooth curves and dips. Hopefully it'll be done by Nopi for those of you there to see in person.

19. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

.....great job man!

20. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Thanks for the compliment. Now that we know it'll work flawlessly we can focus on working on making it look better. We'll see if it's done by Nopi!

21. crashtke

I like the fender scoop in the fog lamp...did you make that piece or buy it? Any rattles or rumbles from the heat shield?

22. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

That is the factory WRX foglamp piece. There is a pipe sticking out as you can see but I will be molding a collector behind that foglamp hole and having it feed the hose. Figured no point in doing all that until I can verify it works which it does.

23. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Logged the coolant and converted it to Farenheit. Sat at 190- 192 degrees while cruising.

24. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

That makes more sense.. ~90 deg C.

25. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yeah when I read the 30 degrees the car hadn't warmed up yet.

26. crashtke

What about the heat shield, any banging when the engine revs or anything?

27. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Not a bit. Clears everything quite well. The hard part will be keeping the true shape to make the mold. The shield is bolted down everywhere. The only part a little loose is the top part closest to the radiator which touches only the inside part of the fender.

28. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Who me????

29. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Got the intake box wrapped in Carbon Fiber. It's dry CF meaning you can actually feel the fabric. I haven't seen it yet but I was told that it looks ten times better than it did. I'll be picking it up tonight and maybe installing it if I have time. If it isn't too dark I'll snap some pics.

30. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Well don't hate the car anymore but I am highly Frustrated

Well the saga continues. Got the new meth kit in the trunk and got the CF box reinstalled and guess what happens. Backing out the parking lot at work to go to lunch and my wheels decided to catch the fender liner in the wheel well and ripped it slap off.:wtc:

Well I am gonna attempt to zip tie it back in tonight if it isn't raining but on the way home I was worried as it was the passenger side that ripped out. All the rain was making it into the engine bay a little. I had to pass a car and I floored the gas and WHAM.....blinking CEL. Paranoid I immediately pull over and hook up the laptop. Cylinder # 1 misfire. DOH!

A few mild pulls and it feels just like it did when I went to the Dragon last May. Boost leak???? I dunno but I did have to remove that FMIC pipe to install the custom heat shield so when I get home I gotta recheck it all.....I made darn sure everything was tight but you never know.

Also what I find wierd is I did a 3rd gear pull last night from 4K rpms and it was fine. Then the first 3rd gear pull from 3K rpm and WHAM....blinking CEL. I'm wondering if the longer meth line is affecting low rpm loads due to slower boost buildup or something. Maybe I'm not getting my meth when I should.....I don't know. Checking for boost leaks tonight to try to get some answers.

I need a retune! SS time to shoot for 360+ hp.....the hell with that tranny....:keke:

31. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

After talking with SS seems like my 12,000+ miles Copper plugs just may be the culprit. What sucks is I have to remove the Front bumper and the FMIC pipe on the cold side to swap out plugs. I swear I will be a FMIC install pro soon....lol

New Copper plugs will be purchased today. If that fixes the issue then I will order iridium and around 8-10K miles I'll put the Iridiums in.

32. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

New plugs and while I was in there I adjust the FMIC pipes and tightened the crap outta everything. WHOA!!!!!!!!THE BEAST IS BACK! Only thing is now I'm boosting 23 1/2 psi instead of the usual 22 psi but everything is fine from what I see and the AFR is fine. Pulls like a freight train. I'm wondering if I need to loosen the WG a turn to make the boost go back to 22 psi? I bet I had a slight undetectable leak the entire time since the tune but it also was cold out as well.

33. crashtke

Nice!! What did the plug look like on the offending cylinder?

34. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

It was blacker and browner than normal and it smelled bad of fuel. Also the electrode was no longer squared....its was rounded off....time to change it.

35. crashtke

Yeah that could do it! In theory the previous owner had iridiums put in mine before I bought it. Any pics of the heat shield yet?

36. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

once again proven, not the cars fault ;p

37. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Darn I forgot. I'll take some tonight if I remember. Any of you guys notice it at Nopi? I know Milo and Alex took a good look at it when I went to D&B's to pick up my springs.

38. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Welp another blown meth pump. Gonna dump some money on Ecutek EasyECU.

39. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

And it looks good! :bigthumb:

40. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Thanks. It's in no way perfect but it's functional and it works....all that matters. Now I just gotta get a reliable meth inj pump which is in the works as we speak.