Impreza Wagon Good for Long-term Contracting?

Discussion in 'General Community' started by superdoughboy4, Jan 21, 2015.

1. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

So I haven't really posted or been apart of the community in awhile.
    I'm more than likely going to have to get rid of my Mazda3 for a bigger car as an independent contractor or w/e. So basically I'll be lugging around a portable air compressor, materials and tools to resurface bathtub vinyls and kitchen/bathroom counters.
    You guys are the experts on Subarus. If I were to get an unmodded Impreza wagon, and I were to maintain it on the regular, which I should be more than able to, would it last awhile? I'm asking about the standard Impreza and the WRX, and which you guys would choose for this kind of work. AND If I should just get a panel van or a truck.
    I know the EJ motors last for fucking ever, or rather, have the capability to and I would definitely like something reliable for this line of work.
    The car is going to get dirty but I'll be doing everything I can to keep the surfaces of the car clean.

2. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

In my opinion, the impreza wagon is no bigger than a Mazda 3 wagon. If you want something bigger, I would look at the Forester, at the very least, to start off with and go up from there. If you truly want something rock solid reliable, buy a Toyota or Honda:)

3. BlackAndBlue

BlackAndBlue Member

you'd want a legacy wagon or forester, the legacy has an extra foot of room in the back if i remember correctly where the forester is built off the impreza platform and is just boxier

4. b reel

b reel Active Member

get a shitastic caravan then change your name to Manuel. The 6-cylinder will pull with only 3 firing, should get at least 30K on the odo with two rods knocking and one out of four forward gears will get you to the next job then home

5. orndog

orndog Member

You said some words and all, but lets start with the basics.
    What items specifically? How big of a compressor? Dirty items? How much weight are we talking?
    Depending on these things, suggestions could range from Impreza to Ford Transit Connect thingy to pick up truck.

6. integroid

Yeah, I sold my 2005 Mazda MPV minivan for $2500 and it was a rock solid mini-van. Parts for that thing were dirt cheap. I wish I would of just kept the damn thing and use it as my truck to haul things around.

7. superdoughboy4

I don't know the specifics, but the people I'm working with fit their gear into an older Dodge Caravan. The air compressor would probably be around ~50 or so pounds. The gear is not overly heavy. Just wanted to see if you guys thought it would be practical.

Sounds like a plan LOL.

8. integroid

Yeah, I would not get anything nice and just get some type of minivan.

9. integroid

10. superdoughboy4

11. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Why not look for a baja? Same drivetrain, with truckster capabilities. win win

12. nygiant

nygiant Member

do u install laminate flooring or kitchen countertops? i'm looking to replace both in the near future