Infamous Coilover Question

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by film_god, Jul 19, 2013.

Tags:
  1. film_god

film_god New Member

I'm looking for coilovers for my '12 STi (limited) sedan. I've taken the time to browse other threads and there is a ton of great info but I'm hoping to get some advice for my specific application.

I bought my STi after my EVO VIII was totaled by a valet driving an Altima the wrong way down the street -_-. I had been building and driving my EVO since 2007 and was very familiar with the way it handled on BC BR coilovers + Swift Springs. I want to build my STi in a similar fashion but the Subaru is a completely different animal. While the STi is my DD, I don't mind a slightly stiffer ride at the expense of better cornering. With my EVO, I was always worried that the BC setup would either break or fail at the most inconvenient times and while they never did, they always seemed "too good to be true"... at least for the price. I know that I could just buy springs but I'm going for more than looks here with the occasional track day and frequent night cruises through the city.

I was recommended either the BC BR (with SWIFT springs) or Fortune Auto 510's but I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet and spring for either the KW V3's or even the Cusco ZERO 2E's (as recommended by a friend).

The Fortune Auto 510's, to me, seem like the best bang for the buck but I'm looking for something relatively long term on this car and don't want to skimp on anything that will cost me more later down the time.

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

3. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

^^ what matt said. I had tarmac2's on my '06. A friend and member on here rsutton has t2's on his GR wrx and we both love them.

Yes the price is pretty steep compared to the options you have listed, but there is a notable difference in actual performance of the kw's/t2's.

Speaking for myself, the t2's really are able to soften up and feel better damped than the stock strut set up, and with a few clicks on the compression and rebound, they firm up and deliver some great level turn in and very nice feedback to the car.

As I'm sure you have read, the T2's are just more aggressively valved kw's, also with linear rate springs on all corners, so you can really go wrong with either option. But if you are thinking of rocking swifts on kw's, just go t2 imo.

Now if you are wanting to ride really low and be a pebble pusher, don't go kw or T2 as they are not designed for riding low, this is a purely performance oriented coilover design.

4. Jake

Jake Active Member

RCE makes some killer stuff. I really like setups with external resevoirs, they provide a better ride on the street and have way more adjustability for agressive/track driving

5. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I loved my BC BR's when I had them on my Legacy. Best bang for the buck when it comes to coil overs.

6. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

I'm another T2 fanatic. My advice would be to call Myles at Racecomp and explain to him where you are coming from and what you want. Myles has always been good about making sure you get what you want/need.

Good luck!

7. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.2.2; SCH-I545 Build/JDQ39) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/28.0.1500.64 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Ah great point JP, also dont think myles will be bias and push you to getting t2's. He is known to suggest other brands for solutions to your needs. A very stand up guy and company, makes youbfeel like hes one of the few awesome local vendors we have here.

8. b reel

b reel Active Member

They are even better once FEAL rebuilds them

9. film_god

film_god New Member

My wife is suggesting that I stop debating with money in consideration and just buy the Ohlins setup. Her reasoning is that I'll spend money on a cheaper coilover, be dissatisfied and end up spending more money on another more expensive set... but the H&R are tempting. The more I read, the more I like.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  10. Matt

Ohlins are a great setup as well...but the KWs are comparable...if not better.

11. Matt

100% this. Myles is fantastic.