Insurance Repair questions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Matto357, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

So I was rear ended on 85 near the downtown connector a couple weeks ago. Car goes in to the shop I get it back yesterday, paint looks pretty much like shit. Swirly, compound still on it. They buff it a while and it still looks pretty dull and swirly. The offer to have it fully buffed and detailed on Thursday and I'm fine with that.

While I'm there I also notice a chip in the paint (was hit in the rear, bumper replaced, right quarter panel dented, tail light replaced) just above my gas door that wasn't there when I brought the car in. Now it's my understanding that any panel that is damaged gets completely repainted and panels adjacent get blended, am I off on that point? Because if so then that chip definitely should not be there, also shouldn't the panels adjacent (trunk, passenger rear door and driver quarter panel) be blended?

Don't really know much about how body repair works but it seems to me like the job wasn't done that well at all.

2. Do not let up until you are happy.Do not take the car until you are satisfied.I assume that the other guys ins. is paying.You need to find out who to talk to,prob. the adjuster. and let them know what is going on.You might even want to let your ins. know too.Unless you have a lot of wrecks already on record,then they will think you are high risk.Normally they will blend if they can keep from painting undamaged panels.But will usu. stop at gaps and seperate body panels.(like at the doors,hood etc.)

3. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

I have a friend that paints / does body work at Mercedes Dealer. I'll contact him and see what he says! PM me and I'll see if I can find some info out for you!

4. Matto357

Welp, this whole situation has gone from bad to worse. Take the car in last Thursday to get it buffed by the repair shop, don't hear from them, call at 5. Car was supposed to be ready Friday mid day, call at three, car won't be ready till monday. Call on Monday, car won't be ready till Tuesday. At that point I ask WTF is going on. They say their detail guy burnt through all the freshly sprayed clear and they had to re-clear it. I tell them very nicely to just leave the car as is and not worry about polishing the rest of the car as I don't trust the guy. They tell me they won't polish it.

Finally pick it up on Tuesday but because of weather/work I don't have a chance to get a look at it in sunlight till today. Paint is shit, runs, spots in the clear and the paint under the clear in certain spots isn't completely black, more a gray color. To top it off the car has been buffed and it looks like either I have some really caked on rubbing compound or the clear is burnt in multiple spots.

Waiting on a call back from the shop manager.

5. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

I would take your car to a shop you trust and have them fix it. Tell the ins guy what is going on and that you want to move your car to a shop you trust. Is this place somewhere you picked out or where they sent you?

6. Jake

Jake Active Member

dont stop, get a lawyer (or threaten) if necessary

7. Matto357

It's a USAA star shop. Basically their preferred shop. I've only had great experiences with USAA so I figured I would trust them in going to a shop they recommend.

Looks like I'll be giving Wagenwerks/Classic Livery a call.

8. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

In that case, I'd threaten the shop that their work is completely unacceptable and shoddy and you will be reporting this to USAA, etc.

They would probably work harder to maintain their "preferred" status with USAA than just to satisfy a "normal" customer.

Either way, I wouldn't go back again...

9. Jake

Jake Active Member

this, and perhaps a call to the BBB as well

10. b reel

b reel Active Member

tell USAA you want the car taken to Wade's Collision in Jonesboro, they'll know who they are

11. Matto357

I don't even want to take it back to them. I think the manager kind of gives a fuck, but his shop workers don't. But honestly it took me about thirty seconds of looking at the car in direct light to spot all the flaws, which means he's not looking at the car either.

12. Coldcat83

Coldcat83 Member

Talk to USAA about the issues your having my buddy took his car to be fixed down here in WR and I had to bring the car back four times for stupid mistakes in the paint and clear as well as installing the front license plate bracket when he told them not to anyway to make a long story short he called USAA and they called the body shop basically I am guessing from their conversation that it went a little like fix the car fix it right give him his deductible back and we'll consider not dropping you. A week after they were no longer a preferred shop of USAA. They don't play with bad work from shops that is why they are a successful insurance company. You also have to realize that USAA's main under-writer is Progressive so a lot of the preferred shops are from their list.

13. Matto357

Talked to USAA today. Taking it to another shop, they're going to measure all the paint and repaint everything if its needed. Good times.

14. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

Id recommend Cherokee collision. They've done my sti, brothers s2000, and truck. Their guys do it right and know what they're doing. They're excellent at matching paint as well

15. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

if you havent already, take pictures of how horrible the work is and submit it to the USAA adjuster. give them a record of the unacceptable-ness of the work agreed upon in the settlement

16. Matto357

It's currently at another shop getting everything that was under the original insurance claim re-painted.

The problem is the guy at their shop that buffed the car did a piss poor job (even after I told them not to touch the rest of the car) so now I'm trying to figure out how I go about getting the rest of the paint on the car fixed (if it can be). Gonna talk to the USAA guy I'm dealing with tomorrow, if he can't give me an idea of what can be done I'm going to have it taken to a third party shop not associated with USAA and get them to measure the paint depth and see if any lasting damage was done. The shop I took it to is wary of doing anything outside of what was originally damaged in the accident.

The shop I took it to also mentioned this is the second re-work they have had come out of Gerber this week. Think I'm on day 29 without my car. Pretty sweet.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  17. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Don't worry brother, I can feel your pain. I've been without my Subie for about 75 days.

18. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

Wagenwerks had my car for months. Got it back while waiting for a part. Brought it back with a list. List was not even close to completed. Your car isn't expensive enough to be taken care of there, or you need to be there everyday hounding Bryson to get it done right. I wasted my money there and finally realized there was no point in bringing it back. I will have to have the whole car repainted elsewhere. I would strongly recommend you go elsewhere. If your car is already there good luck. If you'd like to see my car in person let me know I'd be glad to show you.