iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BKiller, Sep 21, 2012.

1. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Saw one go for $1800 yesterday. INSANITY.

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I heard one the radio a guy paid another guy $1500 JUST TO STAND IN LINE for him...then paid retail pricing as he wasn't eligible to upgrade.

:|

3. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Makes me wonder how people that dumb become that rich??

4. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Enough Said

[youtube]FL7yD-0pqZg[/youtube]

5. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

have you seen our current economy? I wonder how many of them are still using food stamps to pay for dinner...

6. Texsun

Texsun Member

Mericaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

7. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

is going down the toilet........

8. Texsun

Texsun Member

I agree, thats why I stay far away from civilization as possible... and all my friends are over the interwebs!!!!!!

9. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Just reading an article about Apple Maps... How are you guys finding it? The Apple vs. The World wars are silly... and just end up hurting the users. Google maps is awesome. Apple trying to re-create it from square one is fail...

10. W84Spool

W84Spool New Member

Good phone minor upgrades maybe like the camera.
    Updated my 4s and basically got everything the 5 got .
    Panorama feature is sick though . I would've got it but I don't upgrade till next year . :/ so maybe the 6 or 5S lol

11. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Panorama...welcome to 2 years ago.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  12. W84Spool

W84Spool New Member

Panorama on your 3G two years ago without buying an app, no .
    Panorama on 4S/5, free. Welcome .. To the future .

13. Texsun

Texsun Member

I don't take photos with cell phones serious... Most of us here use dslr.

14. W84Spool

W84Spool New Member

Nice

15. Texsun

Texsun Member

Indeed good sir.

16. b reel

b reel Active Member

it's called a trust fund, how do you think Karl Marx survived?

17. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

So you don't like this image?

[​IMG]

I have seen some amazing photography taken with the iPhone (and other phones).

18. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Actually, yes. Built into to HTC phones...haha! Specifically the G2 and now the Amaze 4G. There are others as well.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  19. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Quoted from another forum.

20. W84Spool

W84Spool New Member

Awesome so you must have a htc phone . lol

21. W84Spool

W84Spool New Member

Nice photo !

22. Matt

Too grainy...not enough depth. looks photoshopped.

:p

23. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I got my wife the new Galaxy Nexus to replace her Iphone 3s (or whatever it is), She hates it with a passion.

She really doesn't like anything about the Android platform and I totally understand. The Iphone is pretty easy to use and while there may be a lot of things I don't like about it, I don't think any of them would bother me after a week.

For an advanced user I think the S3 is a better phone, but hey thats why they make chocolate and vanilla.

Theres a quote from another forum above about the S3 being to big. I've had the Samsung Note since it came out and most people consider it to be huge. Its without question the best phone I've ever had, it is large but it still fits in my pocket and the display size is awesome. I think I would have a hard time going back to a normal size phone now.

24. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

I like my Iphone 4 more than my ex HTC droid Eris. Overall just quicker and sharper. It doesn't get bogged down like the eris. Now, am I dying to buy the 5? No. Am I dying to buy the 4s? No. I am happy where I am.

Oh, and it can do 360 degree panoramic pictures with a $.99 app. This was done hastily but it it pretty cool.

[​IMG]

25. Matt

you can't compare a first gen android phone to a 4th gen iphone. :|

26. integroid

You are wrong. The Google Nexus had this feature built in and so did the S2 I believe. I know both Samsung and HTC had this before Apple by at least a year.

27. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

I think the new Panorama function is pretty cool. Like a fish-eye lens..
    [​IMG]

I can say that my 5 takes way better low light and fast action pics than my 4 did.

28. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

Right you are. I was trying more to get the point across that as long as it works smoothly I like it. That and I am not dying to get anything new and shiny just because it is new and shiny.

29. rsutton1223

Not photoshopped.

How about this one?

[​IMG]

Just pointing out that the comment about not taking phone pictures seriously is ridiculous. A great camera does make a better picture anymore than a fast car makes a better driver. I have seen people take amazing images with phones that I wouldn't even have the skills to do with the latest and greatest in DSLRs. A great picture is not about the hardware it was taken with.

30. Texsun

Texsun Member

That photo above looks like the instagram craze that started not to long ago.

What is Instagram?
    Instagram is a fun and quirky way to share your life with friends through a series of pictures. Snap a photo with your mobile phone, then choose a filter to transform the image into a memory to keep around forever. We're building Instagram to allow you to experience moments in your friends' lives through pictures as they happen. We imagine a world more connected through photos.

http://mashable.com/2012/07/19/instagram-filters/

With the above being said, I did a quick google search on "best iphone photos" and I found this http://www.pixiq.com/article/amazing-iphone-photos there are actually some amazing photos there! Still, they kinda make me think... how did they get there phone to Focus on a Dime that close? Did they use a Macro Lens for a DSLR and just put infront of the Iphone Lens?

I was not getting at the fact that good pictures cannot be taken, more along the lines of its a cell phone and its not intended to be a artistic photography device. So the extra MPs or whatever upgrades that have been done to the phones do not appeal to me. Keep in mind that I am an iPhone user and wouldnt choose a different phone, however I dont fanboy the heck out of iPhone/Apple.

Here is one of my own instagram photos... Keep in mind this was done with a 3G, before I got my 4.

[​IMG]

This photo was taken 20 min after I got my first DSLR, I had no clue what I was doing put on "auto" and took some pictures. I to this day still have no formal training/experience just a few youtube videos.

[​IMG]

NOTE: I have no idea what the point of my post is, other than being bored at work.

31. rsutton1223

I would argue that it is. So is an instant camera, Polaroid camera, etc. It also does a fantastic job with HD video as well. I don't carry a point and shoot camera at all anymore because of how capable phone cameras are now. The only thing they really lack is optical zoom.

32. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Yep, with new age phones i have completely done away with my point and shoot and music storage devices.

The phone can most likely take the quality picture and video that you want and be way less hassle. Hell it saves me money from inevitably setting my camera down somewhere and it getting lost or stolen.

33. integroid

I agree....My HTC EVO LTE takes amazing photos. I dont even bring a point and shot with me anymore on vacation. I have my phone and my Canon T3i....dont really need anything else.

34. Texsun

Texsun Member

I will agree, with the HD video. Especially on the jump from iPhone 3 to the iPhone 4. As for a point and shoot, I alway have my nikon p5100 which was Govt Supplied a few years back. We cant just text or email a photo to ourself. We are required to have a SD Card when submitting. Like I always say everything we do is METT TC.

The quality surprised me on that video side for sure! I have noticed when chosen 720p on youtube there tends to be allot of video tear/fuzz on movements.

a bit of a quality comparison...

iPhone 3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gZAxt510jk

iPhone 4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrtSmNP0pYE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xEI6-nAx54

35. rsutton1223

He just played off of the available light. Google "golden hour".

The iPhones will focus that close and can do macro shots starting with the 4S I believe. There are also accessory lenses available. You can't just hold up any lens.

36. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Friend of mine had the Galaxy Note... I liked it a lot, I just found using it to make calls was kinda obnoxious. Like holding a pretend clown phone up to your ear :) If anything, the Note set the standard as to what screen size is "too big"... but as I said, surfing and everything else was awesome. I think my EVO LTE screen is about the perfect compromise.

But yes... I actually think the iPhones are pretty cool. Much more user friendly for the average Joe than Android. I just hate how restrictive they are... I like to tinker... Rooting / ROM'ing... I know you could Jailbreak the iPhone 3, but you still couldn't do too much (Could be way off base here, all the techy people I know own Androids).... Love that G3 commercial where the G3 guy was holding a place for his grandparents to get the iPhone5...

37. Texsun

Texsun Member

That Golden hour is sick!

I just wanted to do some testing/mythbusting... Photos Taken with iPhone 4 in a Magpul Case... The Macro is one that I use on my D5000

Without Macro...

[​IMG]

With Macro...

[​IMG]

Through the Macro...

[​IMG]

38. rsutton1223

This is macro.

[​IMG]
    In hiding by rsutton198 | oneninty8.com, on Flickr

Taken with one of these...

[​IMG]

You can get really close focus with a phone with a blurred background...but true macro shots are 1:1.

39. Texsun

Texsun Member

BTW not trying to get into a war/argument over cellular communication devices just passing time. Maybe trying to learn a thing or 2 :)

I was talking about the macro filter that can be had for $3.99 on amazon :) I said before I have no training/experience with photography. I Just put my camera on A for Awesome and tap the button.

Anyways back on topic...

Question about the iPhone 5... I read/heard something about the entire screen being incorporated into a touch screen? If you get a small crack in the screen does it make the entire touch malfunction, because it never fails... I crack my iPhone screen within the first 2 weeks!

40. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ Sounds like you need an Otterbox... my coworker has one on his iPhone 4S and it looks like you could run a tank over it...

41. techlord

techlord Active Member

^^has me thinking...you hear of the superior build quality of the Iphone, yet in online tests and just what I know one drop is almost certainly devastating to an Iphone. I dropped my atrix atleast 200 times unprotected to concrete and it took flying out of my car window at 30mph to break the screen.

Drew when my android screen cracked it did not affect any functionality. Can't speak for the iphone

42. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

43. techlord

techlord Active Member

I'm basing it off of approx 100 techs split almost evenly android/Iphone at work. Andriods of various makes don't seem to suffer as bad as Iphones of all versions in actual work conditions.

44. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

My iphone 3 took more abuse than the 3 atrixes I've had. First atrix I dropped and cracked immediately. 2nd atrix fell on it's corner and crack. 3rd i've dropped a few time and it ok. I think it just luck and how it lands. The 3g iphone I've dropped numerous times....mostly in my lap getting out the car and it never cracked.

Just so many variables. I just went and held/played with the iphone5. It feels VERY nice and solid in my hands. Much better than all the bigger Andriods. Love how it's not bulky. It's taller but in real life while using it love it.

So hopefully they fix the craptastic Tom Tom maps or Google offers an app. Regardless I'm sold and will be moving to the iphone5 in November. Just got to decide if I want the 16gig, 32gig, or 64gig (my 16gig microSD is only half full on my Atrix so I'm thinking 32gig is plenty).

45. integroid

Get the one with the bigger gbs

46. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

$200 - 16gb
    $300 - 32 gb
    $400 - 64 gb

*sigh hate to buy so much I will never use but again hate to ever run out. Iphone needs to offer microSD.

47. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Going to get the wife the new Iphone5 with the bigger GBS next week.

48. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

49. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

I found 32 GB's to be perfect for me.

50. Texsun

Texsun Member