Is Anyone Familiar with This STi?

Discussion in 'General Community' started by K. Marx, Nov 18, 2014.

1. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

Just curious...

I'm vaguely contemplating getting out of my SRT Magnum and back into a Subaru- Would really like to get into an STi this time around. Not wanting to spend an absolute fortune, either- I'd like to stay under the 20 grand mark.

Anyway, a dealer up in Chattanooga has this one, and I didn't think it would hurt to ask if anyone is familiar with it/ might know one of the previous owners. Looks pretty good in the ad pics, but I was disappointed to have the dealer send me some email pics of the engine bay only to reveal a cold air intake is on it. Blech. The 05s supposedly aren't as sensitive to the lean issues those cause, though, correct? Does it also look lowered, or am I seeing things?

Here's the car in question:

http://www.autotrader.com/car-deale...ty=Atlanta+GA&endYear=2015&makeCode1=SUB&mmt=[SUB[][]]&parameter1=Subaru&searchRadius=200&startYear=1981&zip=30344

Lower miles would be nice, and I'd prefer to get one from a private seller who has loved the car and knows it well. That being said, if I trade with a dealer instead of selling mine outright first, I don't have to worry about taxes on the whole purchase- just trade difference. In my case I really wouldn't want to trade owing anything, anyway, but I'm rambling.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  2. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

Looks like a good find.... One plus that I can think of is the fact that it is at a Porsche dealership... Most likely a Porsche dealership is not going to go around looking for used STIs to buy and sell....

With that being said most likely it was traded in, and the fact that the person probably bought a Porsche probably means that had the money to keep up the car well and do all scheduled and preventative maintenance..... If they actually did who knows, but that is what came to my mind when I saw it....

3. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

Yeah, apparently it had two "real" owners: Someone who bought it new and kept it for two years, then another owner who had it for 6 years.

The third owner only had it for 7 DAYS. Apparently it was a regular who bought it from the dealership for his son, decided it was too much car for him, and traded it back in on a used Honda Accord! Hopefully the kid wasn't launching it at every stoplight for a week solid.

The 4th "owner," if I understand correctly, is actually the dealer, who also has a Land Rover lot where the car spent some time.

I may send them the VIN to my car and see what kind of deal they come back with. My car actually has a higher book value- Watch em' come back wanting 2 grand plus my car, anyway. If they come back willing to do a straight trade (or maybe a little better?), I might go through the trouble to drive up there and check it out. I'm not holding my breath, and I probably don't have any business even considering this.

Haven't mentioned anything to my wife about it, lol. She may shit a brick. Then again, then only reason I bought the Maggie is so I could have something fun that she could also drive (she isn't comfortable with a manual), but in two years I can probably count the number of times she had driven it on one hand. Kind of a waste, so I might as well get something that is more of a "driver's car" again.

4. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

BTW, the first two owner were in TN. Those are the people I'm wondering if someone might know. Never know if they might have been on here or maybe made the trip to have some stuff done at Allpro.

5. Holc13WRX

Didn't realize it had 4 owners... Kinda strange on that 7 day one, but I have seen it happen when I sold cars back in 2010. I watched a guy trade in a brand new truck he put 40 miles on because he didn't run it by his wife LMAO. Lost $5,000 in one night.

6. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

Well, never mind. The salesman just emailed me that it sold!

No matter... I think my wife still likes the practicality and space of the Magnum, even if she doesn't really drive it, and if I ever bought an STi, I'd rather have one that was more or less stock with an owner I could talk to.

Glad the temptation is gone.

7. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

I was thinking it was priced kinda high honestly. I bought my 08 with less miles for a couple thousand more. Get an 08-up sti hatch!

8. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

What I was thinking.

I've seen 06-07's go for that much with less miles.

I've learned that with these cars, to get the right car for fair price, you have to be very patient.

9. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

10. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

Yeah, I keep seeing that one. Looks like it has a lot of potential and the price isn't bad.

Really, though, I was kind of interested in that other one because it was at a dealer and I could just do a trade and not have to worry about taxes. It's one of those deals where, when I take taxes into account, I could end up paying more for a private party purchase even if I am actually paying the seller less than I would have given up buying through a dealer. All in all I'd have to consider @ 1300-1500 difference between selling my car and buying privately vs trading in. Dealers usually want to make money on both ends, though, so private party could still be better, but there's the issue that I obviously need to go through the trouble of selling my car first.

I really like the 08+ STi, although first hand I've been witness to a couple of horrific incidents involving guys who bought stock 08 models only to have the motors eat themselves soon after purchase. I know the issues with those cars can be tuned out, but I hate that "the damage is already done and I'm buying a ticking time bomb" feeling. But then again, that's a possibility with any used car.

Unless something spectacular shows up at a dealership, I need to commit myself to the idea, sell my car, and go on a search. As y'all have pointed out, getting a deal on these cars has gotten really tough. When I look at classifieds it's funny to think that back in 06 I bought my 04 wagon with 62,000 miles for not much more than some people are wanting for the same car now with over 100,000 miles. The used car market has gotten plain stupid in some respects. In know, supply and demand, blah, blah, blah.

Four months ago we had our first child, and it may be best to wait until he is out of a rear facing seat before I go for something like an STi, anyway. As for my Dodge, I must say: Having 425 horses, being able to put in a rear facing baby seat without moving the front seats forward at all, AND having a hatch that can carry luggage for a weekend trip while still having space to serve as a mobile diaper changing station is pretty epic. I probably still have the right car for this particular moment in my life.\

In case y'all haven't noticed, I suffer from automotive ADD; I'm like a fat kid in a candy shop who wants to sample EVERYTHING. That shit gets expensive.

11. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

12. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

Holy crap. That car is shweeeeeeeeet. If I sold my Magnum outright to someone, I'd be knocking on that guy's door. I love the color and the pictures look extremely promising.

Don't just talk about buying that car. Do eeeeeeeeeeeet.

EDIT: Is that price he gave you with the extra wheels? I'd tell him he can just keep those if he is willing to come down a little more; the stock BBSs look perfect, imo.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  13. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

I just brought that sti home, its all mine.

Title should be in my mailbox 5-7 days.

14. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

15. Holc13WRX

Congrats Trancetto! Looks like an awesome STI. super clean.

16. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

Nice pick up trancetto. That thing looks perfect

17. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Thx guys. There are few things that i will need to perfect. Like the small rock chips on front bumper. Ill start a journal pretty soon and go from there.