ITS ALIVE!!!!Twin Turbo EJ20R install in a USDM LHD 93 impreza!!now running!!

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by Impreza_RSK, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

So this past weekend my friend and I installed the re pined wiring, after sending it off for a second time,. The first test start ended up as a failure but after cleaning the MAF sensor the second test fire was a success, it fired up it has a 150 rpm idle but im workin out the bugs gota get a replacment o2 sensor and the vacuum switch that is located on the right under side of the intake manifold, oh and two manual boost controllers or one that I can route to the dash. But IT RUNS!! It is the first in the world successfully completed. No interference on the steering or the brake booster. As soon as the bugs are all worked out we will contact the magazines you know Turbo, Sport Compact Car, Modified, hopefully
    Subbie Sport.

"AND THEY SAID IT COULDN'T BE DONE!"

2. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

Wow congrats.

3. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

I need a good video cam to record it so I can post some videos on youtube to put them on my myspace page .

I have a video on my cell phone but if i put it on the pc it wont have any sound.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2716502 here is the link for my cardomain site with pic of the progress.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2008
  4. WJM

WJM Banned

It cant be done. lol

5. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

no pics on the cardomain site.

6. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

good deal bro, keep us posted

7. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

Damnit, I was hoping to be the first to do this!

Congratulations!

8. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2008
  9. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

Wow! Installed in a LHD car. ...amazing.

I just watched the video .. What was that smacking noise?

10. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

It is exaust I have yet to put the left hand exaust downpipe on

sorry about the A/V quality it was on a cell phone I was so excited to hear it run!!

11. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

post some pics in the thread :)

12. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

I will Try.

lets try it
    [​IMG]

ok that worked
    here are some more
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And to prove its A EJ20R
    [​IMG]

13. KA05STi

KA05STi Member

wow.. i wanna see that in person!! THAT IS SICK!!:drool:

14. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

Its a little dirty in the pictures but you know how it is when you do a major, and I stress major, motor swap.

Wish I had an RS bumper though:(

By the way the hood is off of a GF8 Impreza Type RA from Japan same with the I emblem garnish I paid 20 for the hood and 40 for the garnish at JHOT Imports last day of 2007 clearance.

XANRULES You want to be Twin turbo Impreza #2?? we can get to gether and get it done.

15. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

very nice! how long did it take you?

16. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

Since about May probably about 2 hours one saturday a month

17. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

sorry, but why is this so cool? there's a reason these engines are $800 from jhot. more trouble than they are worth. have fun when the primary turbo fails (happened to me). EJ20R has good heads though, but like I said it's more trouble than it's worth IMO

maybe I am a bit jaded because I drove a friend's real RHD twin turbo legacy wagon for a little while... ;)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  18. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Got pics?

19. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

It is an EJ20R and not your standard EJ20H which the R has upgraded turbos, internals, metal headgasket adaption and variouse upgraded parts from the EJ20H which had the flaws and that it is successfully installed in a USDM LHD Impreza. there is a reason it is called the R motor it is race ready. and it was only available in the GTB model legacy not the RSK which is what I am assuming you drove.

oh I forgot to add that the R motor is "EXTREAMLY RARE" Quoted from A Japanese Subaru Master technichian.

Plus why would the primary fail before the secondary I believe there is less stress on the primary because it is not handling all the force all the time,because it has an identecal twin to help with the work.Plus I got no Turbo LAG.:)

I do Like the factory 16 psi boost its all I need and I am not looking to change it. So it should be pretty reliable.

All I need now is the Billstien Suspension, and it will be a Impreza GTB.

20. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

easy there brosef. not trying to knock your EXTREMEALY RARE AS QUOTED BY GOD HIMSELF motor. the primary turbo failed because it sees more usage, that is all. it was a sequential twin turbo setup. the overall design was garbage, utilizing a flapper in the exhaust tract to switch between the primary and secondary turbo. the one I drove had an illegal vin swap on it (dont ask) and was registered as an outback back in 1995 or so. sweet car. 4.44 rear end, mine's tuned ECU (was suprised by this one), and the factory Run Fast Run Beautiful package.

21. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

Well theres why it failed A Mine's tuned ECU that the turbos were not designed for. How much boost was it pushing pretty close to 30? I am also guessing it was pretty heavily moded?
    the IHIvf25 and IHIvf27 where not designed for more than 18psi

btw the 97 R motor does not have a "Flapper" in the exaust track as you call it,I guess a difference between the "H" and the "R", it is all vacuum and ecu controlled it now has a pressure relief switch to control the smooth transition between single and twin turbo operation with a wastegate on both turbos internal on the primary, and external on the secondary. I was looking on running a turbo timer too so I can let the turbos cool down before completely shutting down the motor that is the #1 cause of turbo failure you know.

But does it not see as much action as a single turbo car? therefore wouldn't a single turbo car be just as unreliable, as you put it.

but a single turbo car sees just as much as the primary on a 2 stage twin turbo.

But in the end "BEAUTY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER" and right now I am the beholder of a 2 stage twin turbo 93 LHD USDM 5 spd Impreza wagon.

Sorry about the rambling but apparently people have been complaining about my signature so I am having to keep the post down to a minimum so bare with me.

22. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

Sweet:bowdown:

23. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

oh dear god. no, it was around 18#. and the failure you are talking of is primarily for oil cooled turbos. the primary turbo was SO SMALL it would make full boost at under 2,000 RPMs, hence the extended usage. secondary didnt come alive until 4k RPM. anyway have fun with your build, I'm staying out of this thread :rofl:

24. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Congrats and best of luck with it!

25. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

Well thats a relief my turbos are water cooled, and oil lubricated.

26. blindsideair

blindsideair Member

Just nutted a little'

27. JEFFSTI

JEFFSTI Member

nice... good job

28. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

It ran the one day but now I am in need of a Mass air flow sensor all it will do now is turn over and putt once then I will turn it off and try again and it will do the same thing again and again, so I and a automotive technichian have concluded that it is a bad mass air flow sencor so I am searching for one.

29. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

What's the pin out for the MAF? I have a couple spares for my 2.5...I wonder if they use those like every other part between the cars.

30. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

Once again, congrats on the swap/install. Hope it runs and drives very soon!

31. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

I dont know what the pin outs are but I do know that it is a 3 pin MAF sensor But wouldn't it be nice if they where very similar i went to the J/Y and found a legacy with a 2.2 in it but it had a 6pin 4 wire connector. I will post a picture of it.

The part# is 22680AA271

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  32. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

I found a brand new MAF it will arrive sometime this week I bought it from subarugenuineparts.com it cost $261.70 including shipping.

33. crashtke

crashtke Member Supporting Member

Very unique car. I really hope this works out well for you. What kind of numbers do these put down stock from the factory?

34. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

So...is it fixed?

35. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Member

Awesome win for you man. Enjoy your car and PLEASE keep us posted on eveything. :bowdown:

36. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

ej20R, huh?

type R = fast car

37. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

WOW! and the inverse, WOW!

38. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

Got the new Mass air flow sensor in (263 bucks) but I also had to change out the spark plugs also a contributing factor to a no run situation but it starts now and it is experiencing
    the honda flu where the engine constantly revs up and down up and down up and down"HELP" I dont want it soudin like this but the twins soud sweet,
    and if anybody has the clutch/brake pedal assembly for a hydraulic clutch type setup please let me know it would make the completion much easier.

39. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

Not to be a prick, but, from what I've learned about this motor, the reason it's so rare is because it's very prone to failure (read: a pile of crap); hence subaru used it for a very short time.

Sure, twin turbos are awesome, but I think you're in for a lot of leaks, failures, and downtime, especially with it being swapped and not the original setup.

However, good luck. I may not know what the hell I'm talking about.

40. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

The Failures you speak of was in the early model twin turbos, the EJ20R is the later model it is not prone to the failure you speak of those failures are on the oil lubricated only twin turbos. The EJ20R is oil lubricated and water cooled the early model twin turbos where not water cooled . But to each his or her own. Its all in the way you take care of you vehicle, change the oil every 3000 miles,change the timing belt at the right time, air filter, tire pressure. Every thing used in my swap is 100% factory original part there are no parts in the conversion that are not factory so it is a 100% factory part swap and it is the first swap in a left hand drive first generation Impreza. Its just the sweet factor!!

A car will last a long time if you know how to take care of it right.

41. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

You do realize that pretty much since you joined, you have posted about problem after problem.

I hope you get everything worked out. Your build sounds like once everything is up and running properly, will be quite awesome. I, like you, like things that are rare, and you definitely have it.

42. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

who's posting about problems? all I have are minor bugs that need to be worked out and there are haters out there that tell me it cant be done or the engine is a crap engine I am just correcting people on their misinformed opinions which I have the right to do but I might be mistaken but isn't a forum a place to help and get help on problems you have with your vehicle, and explain the solution you overcame with your problem so you can help others?

43. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

To Crashtke The EJ20R puts 280HP and 254 lbsft tourqe to the ground. 0-60 in 4.2 sec and quarter mile/400M in11.7 in a 2700lbs car in all stock form

44. wrxin8or

really?

280whp and it runs an 11.7?

wow...cause it took CoolRex about 350ish at the wheels to run an 11.7...

45. wrxin8or

oh, and after a quick bit of research (thanks wikipedia), it appears you are wrong.

the EJ20R makes 280hp AT THE CRANK.

46. KA05STi

KA05STi Member

:cool:

47. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

Its all about power to weight ratios If the legacy GTB could do a 400M or also known as a 1/4 mile here in the US in 13.3 sec and it weight just under 4400 pounds and if every 100pound you take off your car it subtracts 1/10 of a sec of your time then a 2700 pound vehicle could do the 1/4 mile in 11.7 its all about power to weight ratios oh and the first year impreza was the lightest impreza made every year after 1993 it just kept getting heavier and heavier the newest Impreza the 2008 model weighs preaty close to 4000 pounds , and all the information you will ever need to know about the twin turbo subaru motor's http://veloce.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/, and technicaly it is 276.5 HP it is 206KW in Japan and or 280 PS in Germany it is mesured at the wheel not the crank because it is pointless to mesure it at the crank when you lose HP through the transmissions they measure true all wheel HP and wikipedia is a dictionary of opinions not of actual fact, thats why you can edit someone elses opinion on wikipedia. Itis My opinion based on scientific deduction that it will do a 11/7 sec quarter mile but who knows.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  48. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

49. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

curb weight is unloaded no driver passenger luggage you know I am talking fully loaded weight.

50. wrxin8or

The B4 model carries over from the second generation and is a sedan-only model. The RSK featured the familiar DOHC, twin-turbo 2.0l outputting 280 hp (210 kW) in manual guise, 265 pr in automatic Tiptronic form. This results in a 0-60 mph time of 5.7 s for the Manual and 6.7 s for the automatic.

The manual B4 had a power split of 50/50 to the front and rear wheels, the automatic has a 35/65 split.

A B4 RS model was equipped with a less powerful, normally aspirated 2.0 L DOHC engine, but shared many of the body and suspension components of the more powerful RSK.

jesus H christ