J_P's slow and mild PSM GD STi build

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by J_P, Apr 16, 2014.

1. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

It will probably take me awhile to upload all of the pics and commentary, but if I don't at least start it...it will never happen.

It's been 8 years since I jumped in this personal roller coaster. Compared to the massive builds I've seen on this site over the years I didn't feel like I was doing enough to really warrant a journal. However, I finally decided I needed to give back to this community and show a snails pace progression of a car that has been slowly built on information from this site and a few others.

Thank-you to everybody that has shared their experiences here even if you no longer drive a Subaru.

I picked this car up in Statesboro in July of 2006 with 37,450 miles on the odometer. A WRXAtlanta sticker was included.

I absolutely loved this car in stock form. However, based on reviews I already knew I wanted to replace the suspension before I bought it. So in the spring of 07 SS was still at SOG and convinced me the RCE T2s would be better than the Tein EFDC coilover setup I was planning to go with. I was also lucky enough to have WJM(R.I.P.) do the install. The T2s have proven to be a great investment. Truth be told, I haven't had a need to adjust the height since the original install and I've adjusted the rebound and dampening maybe 4 times.

***Mod List*** listed in order of install

RCE T2 coilovers
    PDE v2 camber plates
    Group N tophats

Cobb ap v2 (thanks Drew!)

Hawk HPS pads F&R (sponges would have worked just as well compared to stock)

Hawk HP+ pads F&R
    DBA 4000 slotted rotors

Samco upper and lower radiator hoses (thanks to the pinhole leak)

Primitive racing skid plate

Cobb catted DP
    Greddy SE catback (Thanks AllPro!)

Defi boost, Oil press, and EGT gauges

JNA performance poly front spoiler

BReel radiator shroud

TiC X-brace (carlabs patent)

JDM V8 STi seats

JPM Coachworks goodness!! (very addicting and no where near finished)
    Black Alcantara with blue stitching:
    shift boot
    ebrake
    extended armrest
    visors
    gauge hood

WC Lathe Werks titanium shift knob

JPM Coachworks tweaked rear seats with micro suede replaced with the same blue alcantara used on the front seats.

Waiting for tuning appointment before install:
    Tial 44mm EWG
    Grimmspeed UP
    Grimmspeed EBCS

Companies I've done business with so far good or bad. If I don't say anything nice you can assume I had a bad experience. If you want to know more please PM me.

AllPro - If I'm not doing the work this is the only place I will go. I refer everybody that asks (and those that don't) here. Bought my last set of tires here too. Thank-you Brandon, Patrick, and the AllPro team.

Gran Turismo East - The reputation of GTE is well deserved. Decent tire prices and the best alignments.

JPM Coachworks - The best period. A complete design studio. Some JPM goodies gave me the itch to start modding again after a horrible experience sucked the joy out of it. Thank-you Alex, Joe, Ash, Andrew, and Ernest.

SOG - Horrible service after WJM was gone. Parts dept was still good, but I have not had any dealings with them in at least 4 years.

Stivers in Decatur - Bought my wife's '11 forester here, but no service or parts.

Troncali in Cumming - I've only bought parts here no complaints.

TopSpeed - Doug tuned my car.

Wagenwerks (Classic Livery of Atlanta)

WRXAtlanta invited to a 4Touge Mtn run BBQ in 2008:
    Touge_9-21-08_89.jpg
    pic by wagunz_pwn

Dragon 2011:
    Dragon_2011.jpg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  2. J_P

I'm not a photographer. I just own a camera.

J_P_STi_11_11.jpg

JPM_armrest.jpg

JPM_pod.jpg

obligatory hwy60 pic:
    HWY_60_1.jpg

HWY_60_2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  3. J_P

reserved...

4. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

Glad to see a journal in the works, finally. Lol. Very lucky we have met and looking forward to more pics and updates! It's been too long since we have bumped into each other!

5. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

Sweet good to see you making a journal also. I was holding back for the longest time since my car was so close to stock. Looking forward to updates, and in all honesty seeing you in person, it's been a looooong time!

6. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

A little toooooo long. But who am I to talk. I just made an appearance or two after a hiadous as well

7. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Love seeing old GD STi's being built.

And I must have you mixed with someone else....who was it that SS would tune and had a FP red turbo? I rode in that car when SS was at SoG and loved it.

8. J_P

I have no idea. Definitely wasn't me since I'm still running the factory snail now. There are also no less than 10 Justins on here. Hell there are 2 in this thread already.

9. J_P

Mechanically, Fuel pump and injectors will be next after the EWG is installed. I'm not sure which turbo I will upgrade to after that. The Dom 1.5 has nothing but great reviews, but I really don't want to go too big and lose the quick spool. I'm not trying to get anywhere near 400awhp. In fact, I don't really care about the numbers. I just want good enjoyable drivability. I don't autoX or do anything on a track other than spectate.

10. impreza

impreza Member

nice i like the touches of blue in the interior