Just Installed SPT Intake

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by miltonbb004, Feb 27, 2007.

1. miltonbb004

miltonbb004 Member

Like it says, just installed it last night. I know how everybody feels about SR Intakes but the APS CAI was just a little too pricy for me at the moment plus It seemd like this one got some good reviews from what I read and its made by SPT so I figured I couldnt go to wrong. I got an awesome deal from premiersubaruparts.com, I think I paid like 165 or something. I feel like the turbo spools up a little faster but that may just be me trying to find some sort difference. But if nothing else, it looks pretty cool under the hood and sound really really awesome. Ill post some pics if you guys would like.

2. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

It's still idling and running smoothly? nice

3. miltonbb004

miltonbb004 Member

ya it runs and idles perfect, no check engine lights or anything

4. clemsonscooby

clemsonscooby Active Member

165 for a short ram! Thats way too much for a short ram. You could have picked up a CAI or a short ram for around a 100 on NASIOC. Did you get the SPT to keep your warranty?

I got a AEM short ram about 3 years ago for less than 120. Some places are way over priced. Where do you normally search for parts?

The short ram isn't awful, has a cool sound effect when you change the dp. You should be able to hear the wastegate actuating a lot more.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  5. Well, one other thing to figure is that the intake from SPT works without any tuning necessary. Most other intakes have different diameters near the air sensor causing the car to run lean. It may not be evident at first, but those little lean conditions wear down the eingine until it goes KA-POW like Batmans fist on the Jokers chin.

Did you get the heat shield to go with the intake? Warm air from the engine bay might hurt performance in the summer.

6. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Prob sounds nice too right?

7. miltonbb004

miltonbb004 Member

well I didnt really want to get a used one so I thought 165 brand new was good price. and yes the warrenty thing was a big factor in my decision also. but the part was made excellent and fittment is perfect also so im happy. and yes the heat shield for the intake is on its way, I almost bagged it but you are right it could be harmful so I went ahead and got it.

8. miltonbb004

miltonbb004 Member

sounds sooooooooo nice. sounds like a very high pitched hiss when flooring it and during shifts it sounds EXACTLY like a blow-off valve.

9. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

well... that's what you're hearing, the stock bpv ;)

10. congrats..... im sure you atleast got 2hp out of it. L0L

11. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

oh give him a break...

Just don't go replacing the stock blowoff now...k!?

It's not really a no no...more of a save your money...remove the factory snorkus and get the same effect kind of comment.

12. miltonbb004

miltonbb004 Member

lol ya, i know not to do that

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  13. miltonbb004

miltonbb004 Member

ya i didnt realy buy it hoping for some big HP lol just more for the fun of it

14. Alex

Im looking at the arc induction box right now, its super jdm sexyness.

15. miltonbb004

miltonbb004 Member

ya I like

16. wrxracer87

wrxracer87 Member

Kindof pricey though dont you think?:eek3:

17. Alex

You cant put a price on true jdm bling. Besides, you know that I wouldnt be buying something if a connect didnt exist ;)

18. wrxracer87

wrxracer87 Member

Nice:coolugh: