Justin's '05 psm STI

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by Justinmysti, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Justinmysti

Justinmysti Member

Well, now that i've had my sti for almost 2 years....i figured it was time to start a journal because im loosing track of everything that's been done to it.

It all started about this time two years ago I finally decided it was time to sell everything I owned and buy the car i've wanted since I was about 10 years old from playing the rally games in the arcade. I sold my 99 gsx-r 750, the '98 ford explorer I had been driving for a few years, used my tax returns and some money I had saved up and bought this STI from a used car dealership in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. It was all stock aside from some crappy cold air intake that the previous owner had installed. This was the first time I saw the car when I came to buy it, at about 6 in the morning after driving all night.

[​IMG]

Here's another picture or two from the ride back from Ft. Lauderdale

[​IMG]

and my favorite =P

[​IMG]

I quickly borrowed a stock airbox from another WRX Atlanta member for a month or two to replace that crappy excuse of an autozone cold-air intake. I eventually bought a APS 70mm Cai and divorced Catless Downpipe from members off the forums back in April or May or 2012, and promptly when Stage-2 with an open-source tune from Steve Pulzone of Pullz-on Tuning. He's tuned my car several times since then, and i've always been pleased with his work and working with him to get the car where i've wanted it to be. It took me a few months to find one of the cat-backs I was wanting, and eventually I made a post and Ped came to my rescue with the Buschar Racing cat-back, drove up there to his house and we installed it and he gave me an added bonus of this

[​IMG]

Later that day re-tuned with Steve and it made ~310hp/ ~340tq on a virtual Dyno. I was getting good gas mileage and had what I wanted to make me happy for almost a year. I think we re-tuned maybe once just to make sure all was in good order and we added 2-step Launch control and Flat-foot shifting back in March of 2013.

I had gone to a couple Subaru meets here and there on the southside with all of us down here. Here's some pictures from those

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went through a silly phase where I decided a roof-scoop would be a good idea....(dont say anything....I already know...) Then I took that off and wrapped the roof in vinyl and did some interior changes as seen below.

This is from my trip to the Tail of the Dragon back in October or 2012
    [​IMG]

Vinyl all done
    [​IMG]

Interior Changes ;)
    [​IMG]

It's micro suede with the design that my good friend and I made and submitted to be made. Turned out really good. Colors and all

About a year ago I purchased a set of Swift Spec-R Springs for the Car. Then Back in June of 2013 I bought Unabombers sexy Rear end and Turn-in Concepts Sexy suspension to help in the corners.

All was well until this past september, decided I was gonna have some fun on 400 northbound out of the toll-booth late at night, As I was slowing down my check engine light started flashing at me and I could hear the miss-firing, Quickly I parked the car and came back and had it towed back to Newnan where I live....was a sad day.

[​IMG]

Compression test results where as follows

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Needless to say I had the Dreaded Ring-land failure....Towed the car down the Pullz-on Tuning Home and we took the motor out and apart to find this...

The Culprit...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Had about a week of speculation as to what to do about all of this. Then I decided I was going to have a shortblock built and i'd do alot of other modifications aswell while I was at it.

Ed Hawkins of Fast Performance Tuning in Birmingham, AL hooked me up with a built shortblock with manly Rods/pistons, ACL Bearings.
    [​IMG]

He got me a set of D25 Heads that had been ported and used ARP Head studs to bolt it all together for me. Cosworth Head Gaskets and all that good jazz

[​IMG]

In addition to the Longblock going into the build, I also am adding a Gimmick Fmic, HKS V3 SSQ bov, Grimmspeed 3-port ebcs, Killer-b Oil Pick up tube, Grimmspeed 165 degree thermostat, Modded stock injectors from Witchhunter Performance, Agency Power Hard turbo inlet, And Bryan Nickell of BNR Supercars built me a custom Hybrid Turbo. Its a 20g, with a TD05 housing, with a Garrett GT30 Wheel in it. Im a matter of days from putting the motor back in the car. So hopefully soon I'll be able to get some numbers out to everyone to see what its going to do. Im at the very least Super Excited about seeing it all come together. The last 3 months have been super pro-longed it seems.

I also Added Feal Built OEM struts just while the car was up in the air for this extended amount of time. They paired the Struts to the proper spring rate for the springs I have, I cant wait to see how this thing is gonna handle!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  2. Justinmysti

Justinmysti Member

Soon enough it'll all be back together and You'll see it around the city and southside for sure
    [​IMG].
    [​IMG]

Thanks for reading!
    -Justin

3. Justinmysti

Justinmysti Member

Reserved

4. Justinmysti

Justinmysti Member

1 more reserved for good measure

5. sikwrx04

sikwrx04 Member

Keep up the good work Justin and Steve!!!!