Life of the Limited

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by 07Ltd#767, Jan 30, 2009.

1. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

Edit - Selling car

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  2. 07Ltd#767

Edit - Selling car

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  3. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

lol, man you are one unlucky guy.

4. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Damn man, your car sounds worse than Eleanor....

And you must have went to Royal Subaru, Classic is still in business

5. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

wow...

6. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

hahahaha.....has Eleanor become a legend on this site now? We need to have an Eleanor gallery. :p

7. undrgrndrdr15

undrgrndrdr15 Active Member

and i thought my subie was a money pit... damn..

8. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

Holy shiat talk about bad luck

9. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Wow, that is a ton of irritation for one man to endure! BTW, even though the sales people there at SOG can be a PAIN, their parts lady and Jill are AWESOME!! Jill needs to be the service manager there. If she was, I am sure more people would take their car back there. She and the parts lady always treat people right.

Now it is time to fill in the good side of the story to balance out the bad with a SGT rotated kit! Time for some GOOD luck on that car.

10. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

added the name of the 'parts lady' for you

:p

11. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Yeah I could not remember her name. I could have described her to you, she is a very nice lady!

12. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

This is the same car that I looked at before getting my Legacy spec.B. They told me the guy from VA upgraded to a forester. Sorry to hear about the bad luck, hopefully it will be gravy from here.

13. 07Ltd#767

1st and 2nd post updated

14. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

are those Advan Neovas? If you want some real R-compounds I have some Advan A048 for sale :D

15. 07Ltd#767

tsk tsk...too bad i didn't know, these will run out of tread soon enough, though :D

16. atl freestyle

atl freestyle Member

sounds about like my luck. and sick car man.

17. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

+1

I think i had a stack of 10 useless tires at one point...either blown, nail in them, bubbled, or members of a set that was now unusable due to losing one. :unamused:

Love your car, though! Where do you work?

18. Deke

Deke Active Member

Nice looking car! I love the limited.

19. 07Ltd#767

Thanks!

I work for a company called Underwood Air Systems. I help design and install HVAC systems in industrial sites and work with commercial contractors all over the eastern portion of Georgia.

I guess I'm a glorified salesman with an Engineering degree :keke:

20. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

Nice! Gotta love that tech Degree.

And my boss is on the phone with you right now...lol

/threadjack

21. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

If you are going rotated you are going to want to do forged pistons. The 07's are notorious for cracking the pistons.

Oh and you make want to sell that AVC-R and go manual boost controller. The AVC-R's do not work well at all when running the higher boost that the rotated kits run with high octane gas (race gas, or meth injection).

I want your leather seats! :keke:

22. 07Ltd#767

Yeah, SS was saying the same thing, apparently he's not the biggest fan of the AVC-R, so it may be going up for sale. It's supposedly great under certain applications, but not mine :naughty:

Also, second post updated w/ pictures of installed hood dampers...btw, Ming (goixiz) FTW - if you need / want these, hit him up :D

23. 07Ltd#767

Second post updated w/ SRDEC info...Thanks again Scott and Matt

24. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

Glad to see the car is finally having fun instead of living in the body shop. Great write up so far.

25. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Bump....Looking forward to the next journal update....Ill see if I can get some pictures for you.

26. 07Ltd#767

dun dun dun duuunnnnnnn :wiggle:

27. 07Ltd#767

Parts Before Install

Thought I'd take a few pictures of the pieces before and after install...hopefully the parts from Ball's kit will be up soon.

In the meantime, here's the FMIC, BOV and gauge pod. For those of you who saw the IC before, look at it now...hopefully it will hold the pressure :sx: It's seen about 8 hours worth of repairs. All but one of the tabs were fabbed then tig'd, and pretty much the entire endcap was smashed. The new pipe piece was cut and tig'd in, with a sanded bead of weld added to make sure the clamps won't slide off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Biggest BOV, evar
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

The stealth FMIC will be great on the limited. Nice choice!

29. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

good god who welded that?

30. 07Ltd#767

My shop...it's actually a pretty damn good job. That endcap was in about 10 different pieces ranging from the size of a quarter up. The bigger spot of weld was where a pinhole leak was found, we put an extra run on it to help seal it up.

31. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I'm suprised they just didn't bang out a piece of sheetmetal and repair the endtank instead of just jamming filler in it.

BOV flange and the intercooler pipe are aluminum?

32. 07Ltd#767

All aluminum, no steel in there. We didn't have any scrap aluminum thick enough, so we had to use what pieces were supplied. We initially thought about using the bandsaw and hacking the entire endpiece off, but we didn't have enough scrap that was thick enough and I didn't want to pay for an overpriced endcap. God knows what they would've charged, but I'm fabbing up (started today) the bumper beam that they wanted $270 for.

Yeah, all aluminum, v-band on the BOV. 50mm Tial, it's about the size of a softball.

33. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I'm looking at picking up an AC TIG machine sometime. know anyone that's selling one? I have a really nice Miller DC machine that I'd be willing to trade down for a decent machine that does both

34. 07Ltd#767

Not off hand. I can check at work and see if anyone's heard anything. This was all company equipment (don't tell Jeb...I'm keeping his shop employess busy :D).

All my stuff was done w/ commercial equipment, I honestly have no idea what an AC TIG or DC machine is (I'm guessing TIG vs MIG), but I'd be happy to ask around tomorrow.

35. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

AC machines are required to weld aluminum. DC is used for carbon and stainless steels (Cast iron also but much harder to do). You can weld aluminum with a DC machine but its difficult and requires special shielding gas.

basically with an AC machine, the current in the electrode reverses and blasts the aluminum oxide layer off the surface of weld. due to the high heat, the aluminum oxidizes very quickly and causes this layer to form

36. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

This gives me hope. I'm flipping my Perrin FMIC so the pipes run at the bottom and using custom extended pipes.

37. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

Do you think you'll be at the next autocross?

38. Jake

Jake Active Member

yeah, i've seen some of the progress on that intercooler. being the one who took it off david's car, anything is an improvement. i think those welds are plenty strong enough to hold boost. i'm getting anxious for another big project now that we just did sean's car. you're next drew!

39. 07Ltd#767

Not sure, I'll most likely be a game time decision. Even if my car doesn't come, I may show up (assuming it's not at AMS - too far for me) and catch a few rides.

40. 07Ltd#767

WOOHOO :ddirty:

Just got a call, my gaskets came in, the motor is being delivered to my house tonight!

I'll post pictures and specs up later, don't have time now.

So ha, Delette, I'm fixing my broke car :fawk:

41. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Haha EXCELLENT!

42. 07Ltd#767

This was just dropped off...HUGE thanks to David and Andrew from Ball Engines for dropping it off at my doorstep

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New Clutch
    [​IMG]

As she sits... :wtc:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trunk of Junk
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

43. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I want to see a pic of the broken pickup tube please. I'm gathering some info that I very much need.

44. 07Ltd#767

^^^

Will do...did you see what pan's currently on there?

45. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I see heat sinks so Moroso? I have the Killerb pan.

46. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

this is where I make fun of ball's welding :rofl:

47. 07Ltd#767

bwwwhaahhahaa

Moroso it is...I figured by the time I spent the money on the Killer B pan and pickup, I'll take the extra capacity and go with the Moroso pan

Edit - BTW, if you look at the second picture of 'how she sits', you can see the hole in the block. It's right behind the alternator. I have better pictures somewhere...

double edit - like here - ladies and gentlemen, I present you cylinder 3...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  48. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Um the Killerb is 6 qts just like the Moroso.

49. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

not all that was my welding

50. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

it's more fun the other way. just busting your balls

i need to hook my syncrowave up. someone needs to buy my other miller