Life of the Limited

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by 07Ltd#767, Jan 30, 2009.

1. ballistic

ballistic Member

:bigthumb: just-in-time delivery

2. Jake

Jake Active Member

yay 100% moar running motah!!

3. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Your car is running now?

4. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

not yet...blowed up bitch comes out tomorrow, new one in shortly after...then off to BG for AEM tune :dirty:

5. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

[​IMG]

6. b reel

b reel Active Member

Give me a call when you start. Have some unfinished business at the shop in the morning then should be free afterward

7. 07Ltd#767

motor comes out tomorrow...i mean today...whatever

call you in a few hours...

8. Jake

Jake Active Member

dang i wanna help and i have nothing to do the next 3 days...

but i also have no car. lol come pick me up i'll help!

9. gtaccord

gtaccord Member

I am really looking forward to seeing how your car comes back together.

10. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I'm looking forward to seeing this 'cracked' pickup.

11. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Jesus Christ could you make it any more obvious

12. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Seriously I'm compiling data here Matt. We've noticed a pattern in how they crack.

13. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Dragon will break it in nice! Just don't stay at the same rpms for long ;)

I think I'm gonna break mine in the mototune way.

14. slowwrx

Ill let Drew fill in the rest but I think they finished up at 439whp on pump...pretty sweet setup. Drew said second gear is useless in the rain.

15. 07Ltd#767

that was at full temps...I was too impatient for a cannonball run. Should make ~450+ when cold. Whatever, it's fun...

Specs:
    STi Block Bored .020 over
    Custom 100mm CP Pistons
    ACL Coated Bearings
    ARP Head Studs
    Total Seal Gapless Rings
    Moroso Oil Pan

Stock '05 Head Castings
    272 Intake / Exhaust GSC Cams
    BC Valve Train

Ball Rotated Turbo Kit
    5862 Precision Turbo
    V-Band Everything...
    Ball Racing 3" Catless DP to Cobb Catback (true 3", donut removed)
    Ball Racing Uppipe
    Tial 44mm EWG
    STOCK WRX EXHAUST MANIFOLD (power killer / bottleneck)

AEM ECU
    All the other fun electronic stuff I haven't figured out how to use...

Incase you're wondering, let me elaborate on costs -
    Turbo Kit w/ S.S. Lines / fittings - $4k+
    Built Motor - $5.5k
    Accessories (exhaust, gauges, AOS, etc) - ~$3k
    AEM / Tuning - $4.5
    Car - $31,999
    Insurance - $2.2k / year
    Wheels / tires / brakes - $2k

Moral of the story - buy a vette

More to come later, already started drinking and about to head out to a party.

16. jeb

jeb Member

C5 Z06 in my 'when I get a job' future

17. STiBottom

STiBottom Member

Congrats drew... You now possess a $50k subaru. Just don't think about it that way, just hit the gas

18. slowwrx

I think that there are a couple of things holding it back from making over 450whp on pump right now. The backside of the turbo is fairly small, I thinkt he bigger Vband backside will get it there, also its still on the stock header, if that car had a nice equal length manifold on it, I'm sure it would pick up 20hp. With both of those things I'm sure it would make over 450hp. Actually it might make 450hp if they had waited on the car to cool off and done a pull, but either way the car is really fast.

19. ballistic

ballistic Member

Good to hear you're back on the road again Drew. Numbers are looking good

..dont forget the pauter rods

20. integroid

Nice numbers Drew. Let me know if you need an ELH:) Matt is making me a V-Band up for a 3-bolt header. I am sure it wouldnt be hard for him to make two while he is at it:)

21. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

sick....nothing more to say.

22. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Wowza, well done guys!

23. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

bout damn time, cant wait for a ride

24. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Wirelessly posted (From Your Mom's House)

First, The Eagles made a new album and now Drew gets his car back...what's next, a black president. Oh, wait. :slap:

25. slowwrx

Watching Dan tune an AEM is really amazing....he makes it look so easy.

26. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Congrats! Mine is scheduled for tuning this Saturday itself. Your car sounds like a beast. Is it going to be an alcoholic one day?

27. 07Ltd#767

It really was...we're both tech grads, so imagine what it's like for me to know nothing about what's going on and have some one actually explain it worth a damn...

I would recommend BG and Dan to anyone looking to step up past a stg 2 tune.....

probably not...it'll easily top 500 and be close to 6 on meth, but i think my next map will include race gas and forget about add ons... that's so far away, though, i'm tired of spending money on this turd. The bitch runs, runs GREAT, and she'll stay that way for at least a few days until this power gets old.

Btw, there's absolutely no traction in first, second, and halfway through third...fun stuff.. :naughty:

28. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Very nice. My tuner started tuning his 6262. Only 13 psi and it's almost at 350 hp with zero timing. Can't wait to see what it puts out.

29. Jake

Jake Active Member

yay for a running car!!

30. slowwrx

It might make it to 550 on Race Gas, I won't get to 600....not enough turbo

31. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

that what i thought but for once kept my mouth shut....lol

32. integroid

You think the 6262 could make 600 on Race Gas?

33. b reel

b reel Active Member

600 gerbils to puke on Drew's lap on race gas

34. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

So we gonna get a graph here? Been patiently waiting :)

35. 07Ltd#767

I don't have a copy of it, i'll get Dan to send it over to me

36. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

You said it......not me this time!:rofl::wiggle::coolugh:

37. slowwrx

should be capable of 650whp atleast

38. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Yup, he has a finished tune and finished graph ;) I am really curious about the power band with that turbo and those particular cams. I know mine will not be AVCS, but considering the same cams. Either those or the kelfords.

39. 07Ltd#767

iirc, full boost at 4k, peak torque around 4700, peak power shortly after. The cams hold the power much better to redline, though. 3rd gear pull.

Still haven't heard back from Dan at BG.

40. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

That's cool. Sounds like it is working out pretty well. Man, decisions decisions on these cams! Price difference is only around $100 or less.

41. Jake

Jake Active Member

support GSC, they are great guys. Leh Keen works/drives for them!! woot woot!

42. ballistic

ballistic Member

interesting, i didnt know that

43. Jake

Jake Active Member

i think he helped setup their websites back in the day, Evokiller/stikiller.com

regardless he is there all the time. look up any of their videos of their shop supra, he is always driving it.

44. slowwrx

Leh(kingleh) is on the board here he doesn't post much though. I ran One Lap with him and Greg in 2007, they are a trip to hang out with.

45. ballistic

ballistic Member

yup i met him a couple times, and i almost died one of the times

46. Jake

Jake Active Member

lol, why does that not surprise me?

47. 07Ltd#767

mother of god...

launch control is just silly. By far the coolest thing ever. Floor it, it holds at 4500 rpm making 24lbs of boost :eek:hnoes: Slip the clutch...fucking rocket. So awesome, 0-60 has to be ~4 seconds, if not less (gotta love the increased redline). 0-100 in not much longer...wheel spin like no other :drool:

HUGE HUGE HUGE thanks to Ball. He's been destroying my car left and right for the past two weeks messing with all of the cold start features, the throttle position nonsense, and, most importantly, the AVCS cam tables. The car picked up 65whp and 85wtq at 3600 rpm, as well as dropping spool by 500rpm. The car is 100x smoother, the streetability is awesome. Still has the big injection studder, but overall much smoother.

We're running the AOS much like Doug described (thanks Doug for the ideas). It's plumbed normally off the crankcase, but then run through a catchcan to vent pressure. We also modified the dipstick (zip ties ftw) to keep it from popping up...as some of you remember, it had no resistance on it...

For you power buffs and dyno boys, i think it's still around 430-440whp on the dynojet (torques up from 390 to 415 wheel), but that chart shit ball was playing with earlier has it up around 460 whp (said something about the dyno not being able to hold the load). I'll try and get charts up, I just don't have any available to me. Matt did 109 dyno pulls calibrating the AVCS tables before smoothing it out on the road, which took another week in itself.

There's still a lot of work to be done, as a big horsepower car is always a work in progress. However, it feels like a completely different beast. Can't wait till March or April when the strip opens...anyone wanna race for slips? :naughty:

48. 07Ltd#767

oh, i know i said i'm done with the power mods, but Ball and BG both said that 550+whp is attainable with an exhaust manifold (still running stock wrx manifold), bigger hotside (i'm a .63) and meth....

i'm not saying...i'm just saying...just a theory

49. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Cool car Drew. It's nice seeing that everything is coming along.

50. slowwrx

To clear up the what Drew is talking about with the dyno. The last pull I did on BGs dyno said 440whp when I put the log from that pull into the road dyno software it said 415whp. I made a few tweaks to the timing and added another lb of boost and the road dyno software says 444whp, the dyno just doesn't load the car like the street does. I feel like the car is pretty close to 450whp, its faster than my STI ever was even when I was running 28lbs on racegas.

The launch control is set a little high, once its all dialed in I wouldn't be suprised if Drews car will go very low 11s on pump gas.

I've got it pretty dialed in and I've really enjoyed getting to take my time and do it right. It will be good to have his map as a base map for future AEM cars as most of the tables won't change much.

There are still a few more things I want to do to Drews car but we have to ship his wideband back because its not putting out a signal to the AEM. Once that comes back Ill setup the O2 feedback, Flatfoot shifting, and boost control(18,22,22+lb maps)

I've got the boost set at just over 22lbs right now but I've actually tuned it up to 25lbs on pump gas, while this may be a little unconventional the car seems to like it and its right in the sweet spot of this turbo. I wouldn't even consider running this kind of boost on a stock bottom end but since this is a built motor I don't think it will be an issue.

Matt