Life of the Limited

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by 07Ltd#767, Jan 30, 2009.

1. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

in other words...it's fun

2. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

Sounds fun Drew! Congrats!! When do the rides begin?

3. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Very nice man. Really glad to hear it's coming in place for you.

Question: Can you elaborate more on the AOS? What kit and exactly how is it plumbed? Can we see pics? I need to address mine.

4. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

I know what Matt means about the dyno. Ben's car hit 450 whp on the dyno, but was only pulling 4.68 MAF and less load where on the street there were a couple runs that it pegged 4.88 MAF voltage and higher! What this means is that it is making more on the street for some reason. Just another reason I like to do a lot of tuning off the dyno as well as on the dyno.

Congrats on the car Drew! I know Matt has been working hard on it. Glad to hear how well it is doing. I tend to agree with Matt on the larger turbine housing, but it sounds like it is doing well with the one you have as well. Ben's car has a .70 AR turbine housing. I don't feel like it has maxed out the housing yet, but it is getting close. I would love to see this car on E85!

5. tolnep

tolnep Member

e85. i see the car owner lives in Marietta? couple of things. first, it has an AEM standalone. how does he get it smogged?

second.. e85. like i said i see he lives in marietta. i live here too. i started running my car on e85. i love the stuff. i have 2 five gallons cans and 2 two gallon cans. i was taking my car up south cobb drive to the texaco, filling it up and all the cans. to get the gas from the cans into the car, its a bit of a hassle, mostly because the cans have a small valve on them that limits flow rate.... so.. i found a place in mableton that sells recycled drums.. whatever size you want 5, 15, 30, 55 (probably more). i bought two 15 gallon drums for 18 bucks a piece. i got a bung wrench and barrel pump from northern tool. the barrels fit in my FIT. so im gonna start storing the stuff in these barrels and pumping it into my car. if it works well, i might get a couple more of these barrels.

if you go to the auto parts place, the gas cans are around 18 to 20 bucks. These barrels are 18 bucks a piece and much sturdier. course you need a pump, but you can get cheap ones for less than 20 bucks. the bung wrench i think was around 16 bucks.

e85 is great stuff.. that car would be an absolute blast on the stuff.

oh.. also.. i bought a 100 ml graduated cylinder to do the E85 content test. Last batch of fuel bought about a week ago was e85 (true 85 percent). The are questions about ethanol content of winter fuel in GA. At least the last batch i got was full 85. And the place had run out of fuel in late December, so i know what i was getting was from a recent shipment..

6. 07Ltd#767

yeah, Ball said the same thing about e85, but there's only ONE station around here that carries it...once it's more prevalent I'll probably switch. Actually Ball's quote was something like "why the fuck didn't we put 2200cc injectors on this thing..."

As far as emissions, it's cost me a pretty penny. I'm running AEM, but I bought / reconfigured (yeah, you read that right) a harness so it didn't fuck wiht my main harness. Come emissions time, i just have to unplug the AEM and adapter harness and plug in the stock harness to the stock ECU (all codes cleared, scaled only for injectors). Then just unplug the throttle body and intake air sensors and plug the MAF back in. OBDII works fine, will throw no codes (b/c they'll all be turned off). I need to weld a heat shield or something on my exhaust (custom 3" DP to Cobb cat back, true 3", donut removed) to pass visual inspection.

If that fails, a couple hundred bucks at the right location should work...

7. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

register your car in bartow already

8. 07Ltd#767

rumor is in 2012 emissions will be state wide...

9. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

well the world will end shorty after so this doesn't concern me

10. Jake

Jake Active Member

^^this

11. 07Ltd#767

new ways to hold the power...should have more picks of more stuff coming later, but just picked these up from Ball (yet more shit I'm wasting my money on). Back tires sticking out about a half inch (looks pretty ghetto), but right now they're running 0* of camber and the fenders are not yet rolled.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, and somebody buy these ;)
    [​IMG]

12. 07Ltd#767

farewell, subaru...

13. Protocol

Protocol Member

Oh snap! :eek3:

14. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

What you getting rid of yours Drew? Or are you drunk and someone posted under your name?

15. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

5AM makes me think he is Drunk

16. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

drew is always drunk, but I am fairly sure he is serious here...

17. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I saw a message in the chat window the other day about doing a compression test. Hope this isn't related to that.

18. 07Ltd#767

nope, not that, at least i hope not...about to do the compression test now, but motor's still running good and strong. Honestly, I'm tired of dealing with big power in the form of a Subaru. The only advantage it has is AWD. Other than that, it's always one problem after the other. I'll still be in a big power car, but my odds are leaning toward a C5 hard top. For less money that the Subaru, I can have a 400whp vette with nothing but cams and beat on that LS motor all day long.

19. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Drew and I had a nice discussion last night and the bottom line is high horsepower subarus are a pain in the ass, everyone here who makes over 400hp is dealing with some kind of problem right now and as a daily\track car they just aren't the best choice. Especially when you can do heads, cam, intake and, headers on a C5 corvette and get 450-500whp.

I'm with Drew on this one Ill never have another daily driver high horsepower Subaru.

Edit, I'm not saying it can't be done I'm just saying it takes way more money than it should.

20. 4sevens

4sevens Member

I daily drove and tracked my 417whp siegel tuned 07 limited without a problem and got 30mpg hwy.

The ONLY problem was when my brother totaled it.

21. Ben@TTR

Ben@TTR Member

I agree..high horsepower subys are a pita but to me that's the fun of it..the day I stop having to wrench on my car is the day I get very bored with it..until then ill just keep pushing it and breaking shit lol..as long as I have a good, slow, reliable dd I'm happy to break the suby. good luck with the c5 drew, awesome cars!!

22. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

c5z06 prices are pretty good as of now, congrats on moving onto something faster lol

23. b reel

b reel Active Member

Just do your self a favor and get the FRP

24. FACE

FACE Active Member

I hate to hear this because I never even rode with you! Best of luck with your decision bro!

25. slowwrx

Drew wants to go to the track a lot and Subarus just aren't as good on the track as a C5 is. Personally I think the corvette is a lot more fun to drive on track. The tune isn't the issue he just doesn't want a car payment any longer and I totally understand that, if I thought I could get out from under mine I would in a second.

26. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

^^ jake will pay it for you lol

27. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Drew I stand behind your decision 100%. I have already been on a road course with the M3 and I tell you it's insanely better than the Subaru was. Good thing is I could beat on it and not worry about a thing. That never existed with the Subaru....I was constantly monitoring and watching it.

28. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

You can't compare subaru to BMW, so gtfo. XD

29. Ben@TTR

Ben@TTR Member

i cant wait to see what you and ball come up with on the new ride. sorry to see the suby go so soon but at least everything is in perfect shape to sell and make most of your $ back

30. 07Ltd#767

^^^ lol, i wish...still out about $20k, but figured I need to cut my losses now. I agree with you on the wrenching, which I'll still continue to do, but the STi is costing me almost $900/month, I just can't justify that when I can sell it and the parts and get another fun car that will require zero monthly payments. When the new one's up and running, I'll give you ghetto j-boro boys a call for the test drive ;)

31. slowwrx

I'm considering doing the exact same thing as drew, if I can pay off the car and end up with 10k then I'm selling everything and buying a vette. I'm supposed to go up to Autobahn in Chicago next month to dial in a 600hp STIs suspension on track. I guess Ill see then how much I really want to finish my car.

32. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Matt, didnt you just buy a Z car though?

33. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I've been contemplating doing this for a while, especially after test driving the lotus

34. slowwrx

The Z is just something for the wife to drive and me to play with, its got an SR in it and it may be the easiest motor to work on ever.

35. 07Ltd#767

^^^

plus, it didn't cost anything with the exception of the wiring harness. Matt's a quarter gypsy, wheeling and dealing's in his blood

36. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Corvettes are not cheap to mod. For what a friend of mine paid for an exhaust and headers I was able to completely rebuild my motor.

37. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Exhaust and headers last forever. Rebuilt Subaru motors die quicker so soon you are back into it again.

38. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

:squint:

39. integroid

Maybe with your building them;)

Mike had what, 60K miles on his last built motor? Exhaust and headers dont last forever...ask me how I know.

40. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

:unamused:

Good quality exhaust and headers last forever....not some ebay crap.

Name one 'built' engine that has lasted over 75K miles? Probably can count them on one hand.

41. 07Ltd#767

true, but being single and having no kids (that I know about), paying for something and having it done with is not really an issue. 450whp on an LS motor is much more safe / reliable that 450whp on a small bore FI motor. Plus, by the time I sell the car and supporting mods, I'll have enough money to buy a vette outright and get out from the $900 / month cost the subaru now presents. Insurance will also be a little cheaper.

Saving almost $10k / year will allow me to do a lot more things I currently want to do but haven't been able to do...I passed up on skiing three times this year and two trips to vegas that I would have loved to have gone on but couldn't. Financially it's a much better decision, headache wise i'm hoping it will be a better decision, too. Time will tell...

42. integroid

Sorry man, but even good tubular headers won't last forever.

60K miles is pretty good in my book for a built motor...that would be about 4-5 years for me.

Why is it now that you dont own a Subaru you are finding every way possible to bash them? I mean, I support what you did and support what Drew is doing but why do you keep lurking in here if all you are going to do is bash the cars we drive?

43. tolnep

tolnep Member

not cheap.. but well within reason... here is a lingenfelter package provides 525 HP, comes with a 3 year 36,000 warranty and is smog legal. you could do this yourself and save a ton. there is a HUGE chebby v8 knowledgebase and machineshop expertise available.

6.2 L Engine package

525 BHP / 465 lbs-ft of torque

See chassis dyno sheet MT

Package includes:

- Engine removal, inspection and cleaning for assembly
    - Lingenfelter CNC ported & polished LS3 L92 cylinder heads
    - Existing GM 2.165" hollow stem intake / 1.59" solid stem exhaust valves retained
    - Three angle valve job, hand blending of valve seats
    - CC chambers, surface, set spring heights and assembly
    - Competition Cams valve springs & seals
    - Lingenfelter designed Competition Cams GT11 hydraulic roller camshaft
    - Modified oil pump assembly
    - Ported & polished throttle body
    - 160 degree thermostat
    - ATI 10% underdrive balancer
    - Lingenfelter C6 High Flow Air Intake
    - All necessary gaskets, fluids & bolts
    - Professional assembly & engine installation
    - Engine testing & expert ECM tuning
    - Chassis dyno testing before & after installation
    - Excellent drivability, highway mileage not adversely affected
    - Lingenfelter 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty
    - Lingenfelter certificate of authenticity

Package Price $9,995.00

Corsa exhaust required unless you have factory dual mode exhaust

Corsa stainless steel cat back exhaust - from $1,258.00

*Includes automatic transmission shift improvements. Some applications may benefit from a higher stall torque converter. Please ask your salesperson for details and prices. Normal installation time required: 2 weeks with prior notification. Items on this page are not legal for sale or use on California pollution controlled motor vehicles unless they are listed with an E.O. number.

44. 07Ltd#767

ZING - :rofl:

At least he can say his motor lasted longer than the car :keke:

45. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I'm not bashing the cars. Stating the truth and bashing are two different things. Bashing would be what I do with Casted Failure Inc ;)

Subarus have their place....I thoroughly enjoyed mine. I don't miss mine but at the same time I do. But Subaru's (or ANY other car) is not the end all best of the best that they are made out to be. Everyone has their likes and dislikes. Everyone's opinions change over time.

If you guys really just want me to shut up and go....then say so.

46. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Sadly yup. Kinda sad that motor made within reason the same power (yeah 60 hp is a LOT but hey it was on stock wrx heads and stock rods) at 3/4 the cost and much less mods too. Yup I can't build jack squat.

47. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

getting off topic....

48. 07Ltd#767

Yeah, I spent well over that getting my Subaru to that level, granted I didn't build the engine myself.

Something like this - Link

Or this...sex... - Link

49. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

My bad Matt.

Drew you selling the entire car as is for $25K? Or that for a stock one? (maybe this needs to be in the other thread?)

50. 07Ltd#767

I'm completely returning it to stock, lemme go clarify. I don't think I'd get much more than $28 for it built, and when I added it up I can get close to $35 for it parted out and sold