Life of the Limited

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by 07Ltd#767, Jan 30, 2009.

1. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I never once said they were the best cars out there nor do I think Chevrolet or BMW being the best car out there. I think the best car out there is the one you enjoy driving and tinkering with. You obviously dont enjoy driving and tinkering with a Subaru anymore. I use to be a huge Honda fanatic. I could tell you horror stories from some of the stuff that happened with my Honda's. I have left the community but you dont see me going back into their forums and telling them that they own a crap car or they need to buy a Subaru that can handle the 300whp reliably. Nobody likes a debbie downer is all I am saying.

2. integroid

I think you will make much more money returning to stock and parting out the go fast bits.

3. Jake

Jake Active Member

this

corvette is definitely a good move. although i have heard some insurance companies won't insure them at all since they are fiberglass bodies. regardless, i know tim (leadfoot)'s insurance is cheaper than joey (bomjoon)'s evo insurance.

4. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

that's b/c joey drives like a moron and has the tickets/accidents to prove it

5. Jake

Jake Active Member

lol, this is true

6. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Tim is also about 15 years older than joey

7. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

has nothing to do with anything.

8. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

The point I was trying to make is that no matter what car you choose racing / performance is expensive. Going from a Subaru to Corvette is just like changing drug habits. Does it really matter if its crack or coke? In the end you still end up pissing away a ton of money.

9. integroid

Isn't that the truth!

10. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

hopefully in this matter it will be like going from alcohol to weed...cost is the same, but you don't have the hangover every morning

11. integroid

I didnt realize that was directed at me.

It only took you 3 tries:)

How do you figure it only cost you 3/4 the cost of my setup? Like you said previously in my thread, deals are made and prices are given out that should never be repeated.

Time is money in my eyes...how many times did you have to pull that motor out and rebuild or fix it after you put it together? Even if your motor cost you 3/4 of what I paid for mine, you just lost that 1/4 plus more by having downtime of your car and having to take time away from your everyday life because you didn't put something together right on your motor build.

12. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Dude drop it.....wrong thread to keep dragging this on. You want to beat a dead horse then PM me.

13. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

Love it when a thread comes together, oh wait wrong thread..

14. 07Ltd#767

^^^

Lol ScoobyMike

Honestly, if i would have known how to do the stuff, I would have done it myself even if it took a couple tries. I took 3 years of automechanics in high school and took all the IC engines classes at Tech, but I still didn't have the know how to build my own block by myself. I got thrown in the fire on my build and honestly got way in over my head...it was sink or swim in my case, so I had to pay to have other people do the work I wasn't confident with (pretty much just building the engine / tuning). Regardless of cost, I was still happy with what my car was doing.

To me (and I'm not bashing Subaru), the main advantage of the STi is the bullet proof AWD platform. In order to make it fast, especially on track, you have to drop some serious money and drive the shit out of it...I mean really drive the shit out of it. Driving the shit out of it means you're going to break things and spend more money. It's a great DD car as it has four doors and a big trunk, but I was at the point where my STi was dedicated for track and the occasional mountain run, and at that point it just makes sense to go to something better suited for that purpose.

15. Shewb

Shewb Member

I like big trunks, and I can not lie.

16. Protocol

Protocol Member

Well said sir. Well said.

[​IMG]

17. juanmedina

juanmedina New Member

can you post the dyno sheet? or the road dyno? I good tuner should keeps his customers logs for a long time :wiggle:

18. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Juan do a search for airboy. The ones that slowwrx posted are from this car. There's only one thread with this ;)

19. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Give me a few minutes and Ill post them up for you Juan, I think on the airboy spreadsheet it was reading 470whp

20. 07Ltd#767

ahh, power, how I miss thee

21. juanmedina

juanmedina New Member

Thanks, I am interested in his kit and my google search brought me here.

Thanks u

So your car was not reliable at 400whp Airboy? :wtc:
    That sucks, I am looking for 480-500whp Airboy, IMO if I can keep torque down to 400-420wtq it should be okay for a while.

I am currently at 320-340whp 380-400wtq Airboy with 120mph traps and it has been running excellent, I love my car it hasn't break or given me any problems since I got the forged piston 17K ago. Its been to the track and I drive the car really hard. I don't plan on running my car at 480whp everyday 360-380whp should be plenty, and I plan on doing this on E85.

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  22. integroid

My car, with the cheaper version of this kit before the built motor, made 420 whp and was very reliable. You should be fine as long as you have a good tuner.

23. slowwrx

Juan shoot me your email and Ill send you the files. I only checked one of the logs but it was 450 on the airboy sheet on pump gas, I'm pretty sure theres another one where it made close to 470. If you wanted to use Meth I suspect that 530whp on a airboy will be easy.

24. juanmedina

juanmedina New Member

Even if my tuners are bad which THEY ARE NOT :naughty:, on E85 it would be really difficult to blow the engine

I PMed you my email

TY

25. 07Ltd#767

My engine is fine, and reliably is a term used loosely when you're making 450+whp out of a 2.5L motor. I just got tired of the constant upkeep that comes with it, hence my decision to move to 450whp NA

26. juanmedina

juanmedina New Member

:bowdown: your car was really sick, the spool was insane for pump gas. No wonder why the AMS kit is so good, Precision turbos with ceramic cartages rules :clap:. Timing was normal, how much boost were you running?

[​IMG]

27. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

This was not an AMS kit. It was a Ball Racing kit. Slowwrx built that entire kit from scratch.

28. slowwrx

That 450 pull is 23.5lbs of boost.

That turbo setup is very efficient with those cams and it just kept taking timing and boost. On the street it didn't even show the slightest amount of knock. I would consider running that setup up to 26 27lbs on pump if it was my car.

29. slowwrx

Also those are third gear pulls, if you pull the car out on the dyno in 4th it makes close to 475whp

30. juanmedina

juanmedina New Member

I know! I am just saying that AMS use the same turbo.

You sir built a very impressive setup, congrats.

31. 07Ltd#767

You should buy it ;P

32. juanmedina

juanmedina New Member

1.8K pick up :sx:

33. 07Ltd#767

nope - spent 4k on it new and it has less than 2,000 miles on it

34. juanmedina

juanmedina New Member

:) it was worth the try, I am getting a .................

Good luck with the sale

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  35. slowwrx

Juan I have a Foglight header sitting at my house right now. Turbo Trix built it for me a couple of years ago, its setup for a T4 single scroll.

Also Drews car had GSC S2 cams but no head work. The car could have made a lot more power, I suspect it would have made close to 500whp on pump with a header and a bigger hotside on the turbo.

36. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Juan that header is a very nice piece. I've seen in person myself and would strongly urge you to consider it if you are going that route.

37. juanmedina

juanmedina New Member

I bet your header has huge runners and it was probably designed for a huge turbo since the T4 single scroll. The one that I am looking at has 1.25 runners, and is a plug and play kit the guy is building everything for me intercooler, header, downpipe, everything.

Thanks

38. slowwrx

LOL yep, mines a 2 inch stepped primary