Liltoua's Little Black Beast

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by liltoua, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I'm just stating what happened to my car. Perhaps find someone with a used belt....I'm sure there are some on here. Then take that belt and stretch it out...you will see the Gates is a smidge longer than OEM if you scenario was like mine.

On a stockish setup you prolly won't see the power difference but where I was using a GT35R the diff was exponential.

So try to find a used belt just for comparison sake before buying a new one. I had to line up one tooth on each belt and manually stretch/walk the belts out.....I hit the end of the OEM belt before the Gates. And it was half a tooth difference. Little but enough to matter.

2. liltoua

liltoua Member

Any information is good. Personal experience is always better than what the books tell you. I've very anal about things like this and the safety of my motor. I can't afford for this motor to go bad due to something that can easily be corrected from the get go. I'm going to try and sell this Gates belt and just throw money on top and buy an OEM belt just because I'm paranoid. Like you said it might not make a big difference, but it will make me sleep better at night HAHA. Thanks for the input though! You've helped me out tremendously.

3. SANDERS

SANDERS Member

I have a lighly used (17XXmiles) SPT STI timing belt if you need it.

4. liltoua

liltoua Member

I'll let you know if I can't find one. I need to get this Gates one sold first. My paycheck today just went to my credit card bill LOL

5. liltoua

liltoua Member

Thanks B reel ! Took a trip down to see if b reel could get those damn bushings out. I was fed up with them and just gave up haha. Took it down to see if b_reel could take a hack at it. Of course he does it with little to no hesitation haha. Pretty much just torched it and hacked sawed it haha.

I test fitted it and the bushings line up PERFECTLY with the WRX turbo crossmember! Now I guess I can confirm that if you are using stock GC LCA with a WRX turbo crossmember, instead of shimming the A-arm, just use GD bushings and everything will line up. Still waiting on some whiteline goodies, so my front end is torn apart at the moment. Thanks again B reel

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  6. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I can't quite tell who did the work on this? Was it b reel?

7. liltoua

liltoua Member

Yea it was b reel =)

8. b reel

b reel Active Member

:rofl: I think he was amazed by how easy the job was and other shops wouldn't do it.

9. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Or was it how a little rednecking can go a long ways?

10. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

*ahem* appalachian american is the preferred name around here.

11. b reel

b reel Active Member

It's amazing how a screw driver and a crescent wrench make a good hammer and chisel.

12. liltoua

liltoua Member

So finally got more time to install some more goodies. I got my STI steering rack in, but it didn't come with outer tie end rods. Instead of just replacing it with autozone ones, I went ahead and ordered the Whiteline bump steer kit. Only reason of doing this was because my lower ball joint was cracked and seen better days. I read up alot on these and there seems to be a problem with the old design. I herd the newer ones are suppose to be better, so the hell with it, I'll give it a shot.

[​IMG]

While I had the LCA arms out....after inspection, I find out that I have two different LCA!!! The previous owner wasn't telling me something! I'm pretty sure this car was in a wreck somewhere in it's life time. I didn't like how the transverse link mounts were so flexible, so I decided to just replace them with the whiteline ALK. The only reason why I found out about the LCA is because my transverse link mounts were two different mounts.

[​IMG]

Also picked up the STI Kevlar belt from SANDERS and found out that he use to own my Black 2.5rs! HAHA how cool is that!

13. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Did he clear up the LCA issue for you?

14. liltoua

liltoua Member

Yea we got the bushings off. We pretty much torched the damn thing to hell and cut up the metal bushing inside and knocked it out. Pretty straight forward, I just don't have the tools for that. Everything is bolted back up and the LCA are back on the car with all new bushings!

15. liltoua

liltoua Member

Got some proper suspension! I somehow manage to sell my used set up for more than expected and only had to put very little to get some brand new coilovers! Can't beat that!

[​IMG]

16. liltoua

liltoua Member

Thanks AllPro for having stuff in stock! That's one thing off the list of stolen parts that I have to buy back (-_-)

[​IMG]

17. liltoua

liltoua Member

Sorry on the lack of update. Getting stuff stolen and hearing 1-2 subaru's pass my house really discourages me from posting stuff up. I've been so busy with school that I haven't spent much time on my car. Graduating this year!!! WOOT WOOT. My priority is finishing up this semester and then finish up my car.

What I've done so far, was bringing everything that was valuable inside the house so that nothing else will get stolen unless they bring a flat bed and steal my whole damn car. Other than that I've just been figuring out the pluming of everything and finally dropped the car back on the ground. Still tweaking the ride height, but this is how it currently sits. I plan on hooking up the battery and see if this thing will turn this week or next week.

[​IMG]

18. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

Did you hear me around 545 yesterday evening?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

19. liltoua

liltoua Member

HAHA yea I herd/saw yah =). So far I've seen a silver and a red Subaru pass by aside from you.

20. lsnaple

lsnaple Member

Sweet build. That sucks stuff got stolen, I must have missed it in the thread but what all got stolen? I love gc's and that thing is going to be badass when done!

21. Jake

Jake Active Member

Note to self: find flatbed....

haha, and still looking good man. i feel you about school, done in May myself!

22. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

i'll go halfsies on the rental flatbed!
    i still want to see these flares in person

23. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Weren't you there at the Prado when he had them on? This was a little before one of them cracked.

24. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Love the flares!

25. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

no i was not

26. superdoughboy4

Oh. Loser. :wiggle:

27. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

Pretty sure that was the last dinner meet you made it out to... :squint:

Edit:

To get back on topic: Toua, the stance of your car is freaking badass! Can't wait to see it running and in person again.

28. liltoua

liltoua Member

UPDATE: Had some issues with oil leaks and the freakin banjo bolt and SS lines on the turbo. I wanted to quit and put the stock line on, but all it took was some patience. Finally worked out all the wiring on the car and it's cranking!!!! Now I just gotta put everything back together and raise the car a bit or do some more cutting to clear my fat tires. Ending this year with a bang!

[​IMG]

29. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

cars looking great..just watch out for that big ass dead bird in the street few feet from your house lol

30. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

so it wasnt the seal?

31. liltoua

liltoua Member

Yea it wasn't the seal. We started up the car and my skinny ass crawled under my car and I saw oil spewing out of my oil feed lines. Had to take off the lines and it took me like an hour to put back on that one line.

32. Matt

[​IMG]

33. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

34. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Awesome dude. Hope the rest goes smoothly.

35. liltoua

liltoua Member

Alright so I have the car running! Took it out for a quick spin to get some gas and just drive it around for maybe 15 mins and came back in to check up the codes that I knew it was going to throw. Some of them have me stumped. Haven't done research yet, but here are the codes that I'm throwing.

P0463 - Fuel level sensor circuit high input
    P1446 - Fuel Tank Sensor Control Valve Circuit Low
    P0508 - Idle Control System Circuit Low
    P0031 - HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
    P0037 - HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
    P1094 - Tumble generator valve circuit #1 (open circuit)
    P1096 - Tumble generator valve circuit #2 (open circuit)

I know some of these have to be flashed out, but some of them have me stumped. Still gonna do some research, but if you guys have any guidance please feel free to chime in LOL. Here is alittle info about the car.

-03 WRX swap w/ ECU
    -TGV Delete
    -Catless
    -Near new OEM Front 02 Sensor
    -Not running a Rear 02 Sensor (PLX Wideband in its place)
    -New IACV gasket
    -Before filling up the car with gas, my Empty light was on, after I filled up fuel gauge didn't work anymore

I know the TGV and Rear 02 needs to be flashed out, but are any of the others flashable?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  36. Matt

I don't think the fuel sensors can be flashed out. I could be wrong there. I remember a friend having to get some work done on his swap due to that.

Basically the pre-02 fuel tank is short a sensor

37. liltoua

liltoua Member

Yea I read that the P1446 can be flashed out as well, but I need to confirm that before I actually do it.

38. Matt

I would send a PM to mpaone on nasioc. He's had a couple swaps and is local (Alpharetta). I'm sure he can tell you what he did/had done.

39. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Nevermind....I was thinking of Max Q. My bad.

40. liltoua

liltoua Member

After some short research looks like I can flash three of those codes

P1094 - Tumble generator valve circuit #1 (open circuit)
    P1096 - Tumble generator valve circuit #2 (open circuit)
    P1446 - Fuel Tank Sensor Control Valve Circuit Low

Apparently the 03+ Subaru's have two sensors in the tank so this would not apply to my 98 which I can flash out and of course the TGV need to be flashed out. The other codes are looking like a wiring issue which I need overlook again, but still doing more research.

41. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Your float assembly may have gotten bent when (and if) you upgraded the fuel pump which could be causing your gauge to not be reading.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  42. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Check the connectors going to the fuel tank/pump if you don't hear it click then it may not be making contact

43. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

the ones under the rear seats?hmm

44. liltoua

liltoua Member

Yea I've checked all my connections to the fuel pump and the fuel pump controller. Everything seems fine. It could possibly be the sensor itself, because before we filled up the gauge had an empty light on.

We have the right voltage going to the front 02 sensor, but my front 02 sensor is not reading. I really need to get all this figured out so I can go in for a tune.

45. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

just thought about this, it couldnt be the connection to the fuel pump since your car is running

46. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Sounds like something is wrong with the merge.

47. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Any luck?

48. Matt

he brought the car out to the tuesday night meet this week. I'd say he got lucky in getting it running.

49. liltoua

liltoua Member

HAHA yea, car is up and running. Still can't get the fuel gauge to read. It just shows the empty light and when that comes on...I need to find a gas station ASAP LOL. Flares are bolted on and interior is all back in. The only other issue I have right now is that my IACV is either dirty (cleaned it 3 times) or just needs to be replaced.

TopSpeed called me back and re-scheduled my appointment, so I'm on scheduled for February 11th now at 2:00pm I think, gotta double check the time.

50. superdoughboy4

Great day to get a tune.