Liltoua's Little Black Beast

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by liltoua, Feb 23, 2011.

1. liltoua

liltoua Member

It has a Cobb AP with a OTS stage 2 tune on it.

2. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

i wonder if the MAF scaling is off at all with that intake?

Just random guesses really, without a wideband it's going to be hard to tell.

3. liltoua

liltoua Member

Took me three days to get my FMIC on HAHA, mostly just after work hours. Trying to put a GD kit on a GC was a bit more involved than I thought. The first issue that I ran into was trying to run my TIAL BPV. IDK what Subaru engineers were thinking but that BPV hose is in the WORST location ever. I had to run a custom hose and you literally have to have a the stock hose to make this thing work. I got it to work, but it has a small kink in the hose where it connects to the TIAL BOV. The second issue was making all the pipping fit properly. I really didn't want to cut the pipping and get rid of the beads in the pipping, but the passenger side was just too long and I had no choice but to cut it. The driver side wasn't bad, so I only had to make cuts on the passenger side. The third issue was the bumper. I guess this kit is only fog light complaint with the GD series haha, I had to hack up my bumper to make it fit properly. Then I had issues with electrical issues. Some of my terminals tore off and I had some grounding issues. Fixed all of it and now my car is running like a champ.

So how bad is compression surge? I'm getting some compression surge with my TIAL BPV with a pink spring (11psi). I herd this is a safe spring to run. I still have the stock spring which is a 9 psi spring I think. Do I live with it or get a stiffer spring? Anyways I'm still not hitting target boost. I should be hitting 19psi and still hitting 10psi. Going from TMIC to FMIC made no changes at all. I've replaced the EBCS, cleaned the maf, cleaned the intake, and checked for obvious leaks. The only thing I'm gonna do is change out my wastegate from the 14psi one to the stock 9psi and see what it does. Anyways I'm happy with it, looks so much better lol.

[​IMG]

4. liltoua

liltoua Member

So I swapped out the wastegate today to the stock 9psi spring and still made no difference. Even with the 14psi IWG I couldn't boost past 9 psi, so I can conclude that going from TMIC to FMIC and wastegate change didn't do anything. I've honestly lost all hopes of getting this thing back to normal until I go back for a re-tune. So here is what I'm running and a 4th gear pull in my 6 speed 2.0L WRX motor.

-FPHTA68
    -Downpipe/exhaust
    -K&N SRI
    -850 DW injectors
    -walbro 255
    -New Grimspeed EBCS
    -Target boost 18.5

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhlNEJ1D3ClRdFcyWmpGb2RSTmt5MUJ0NlhEOUtad1E&usp=sharing

5. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Do you have the restrictor pill installed on the turbo vacuum line?

6. digitizedsoul

also make sure it isn't zip tied flat like mine was after subaru of gwinnett got done with it.
    That kept my wastegate from operating properly, and completely DISABLED my EBC basically, since it never saw any air pressure at all through the crimped vac line.

7. liltoua

liltoua Member

There's no restrictor pill. I've checked and doubled checked all my lines. If someone local has a manual boost controller I can borrow please let me know. It will be a good test.

8. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Pretty sure you need that pill...

9. liltoua

liltoua Member

Unless I followed the Grimmspeed instructions wrong, the EBCS doesn't require a restrictor pill. Plus when Doug tuned my car on my 5 speed it was running just fine.

10. digitizedsoul

only stock one does i believe

11. liltoua

liltoua Member

Sad news for the Subaru today. I was on lunch break so I got in my car...drove it about 1 mile down the road and the car started to studder and I had no power so I had to pull over. The funny thing was, my car was perfectly fine up until yesterday. I recently did a grounding mod and my car was running GREAT. My hesitations was gone and my powerband was smooth all the way until redline. I did notice that the past 2 days my car started to hesitate again and I can hear my EBCS pulsating.

Anyways I sat in the parking lot and tried starting my car and it started for a bit, my car was shaking like crazy and it sounded like it was only running on 1 cylinder. Finally my car didn't start anymore. I checked for vacuum leaks, bad grounding, and anything obvious and couldn't find anything. I noticed that my cam angle sensor was loose so I tighten that and still couldn't get it to turn on. My fuel is working fine because I can smell it all over in the bay. Do you guys think it's a cam/crank sensor? I've had terrible hesitations in the past until my grounding mod which helped it until recently. I'm gonna replace my sparkplugs and sensors and see if it does anything.

[​IMG]

12. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

My money is on coil packs

13. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

but all of them? at once? weird

14. digitizedsoul

aww that sucks man. yeah sounds electrical to me, especially at your power levels you shouldn't be busting physical parts

15. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Coil packs. I've had three go bad at once. You can usually get a used set of 4 for $100. Don't disregard the MAF either it can do funny things.

16. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Yea, maybe shorted something with the grounding kit. Ive seen a loose ground begin to smoke as if it was about to burst into flames.

Also agree is could be maf related

17. liltoua

liltoua Member

How often do coil packs go bad? Don't they cause misfires when they go bad? I'm sure I would have gotten a code from that, but who knows. I'm going to start off with the crank/cam sensors/spark plugs and work my way up from there. I doubt it's an internal motor problem, but you never know.

18. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Coils go all the time. I had one that was going on the dyno and didn't even know it. No codes ever but Doug saw it in the logs.

Do a compression test while you have the plugs out just to be on the safe side. If I remember correctly WRX EJ205 should be in the 150-155 psi range each cylinder.

19. liltoua

liltoua Member

Yea I'm going to do a compression test, but the only issue is I won't get real numbers since my motor wont turn on and I need readings while the motor is warm. I think last time Brandon did the compression test before I got it tuned and the numbers were at 145 all across the board and this is with a motor with 115k on it.

20. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Doesn't matter if engine is hot or cold. Hot/warm is better due to ring expansion but as long as they are all consistent that is what you are looking for. 145 on a cold engine is very good.

21. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

you just want to make sure you test all 4 cylinders under the same conditions. if the motor is warm, theoretically it should be higher, but the only thing you're looking for is consistency across the cylinders (unless they all come back reading 35...then you're fubar'd)

22. liltoua

liltoua Member

HAHA, yea I'm just gonna test for consistency since my motor wont turn. *Cross Fingers*

23. b reel

b reel Active Member

crank position sensor on top of the oil pump and or cam sensor on driver's side head. check the wiring connections first, I've seen broken clips cause a lot of grief

24. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Yea, I dont think the coilpacks all went bad, but maybe a loose connection. This is a swapped car so anything you touched could have worked itself loose.

25. liltoua

liltoua Member

Swapped out the Crank/Cam sensors and no luck. It started up but immediately died. Pulled out 1 spark plug and it looked good minus the blackness and fuel smell of it from trying to crank the motor. I'm going to pull all of the spark plugs today and do a compression test, swap out the plugs, and test the coilpacks.

26. b reel

b reel Active Member

really no way to test the coil packs, just have to swap them out.

27. liltoua

liltoua Member

Alright so did a compressn test and I saw 150 all across the board minus #4 which read 120. Now the question is I know that's bad, but it shouldn't prevent me from starting my car would it? I've seen people run the car on 3 cylinders.

28. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Could it just be a coupler? Check around the fmic?

29. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

add a little bit of oil into cylinder #4 and do the compression test again - see if its the rings

30. liltoua

liltoua Member

Took my car to Kyle at KGMade to get my rear quarter panel cut up a bit higher for more clearance and to fix my hacksaw job HAHA. Big props to him. Great work and really nice guy.

[​IMG]

31. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm assuming you got the engine issue fixed? What was the problem?

32. liltoua

liltoua Member

Yea got it running again Matt. We tracked it back to the fuel pump. When doing the wiring from GC to GD you gotta wire that annoying fuel pump controller. We just had a loose connection.

As some of you know, I haven't been able to hit my target boost for at least half a year now LOL. I guess it was fine because It kept me from speeding and wasting gas. Well I thought I would give this a try as a last resort and bought myself a Grimmspeed MBC. Got it in yesterday, read the instructions, dialed in the boost, and slapped it on. First pull in that crazy ass rain yesterday and I was already hitting my target boost....go figure right haha. So I'm contacting Grimmspeed to see if they can do anything about my EBCS and if I can get it to work, I'm going to run a hybrid with both setups. It's feels great to be able to boost again haha.

[​IMG]

33. liltoua

liltoua Member

Getting some work done on the car. Should be ready for IA....car is just gonna look raw and ugly lol.

[​IMG]

34. liltoua

liltoua Member

Just in time for Import Alliance! Overall the fronts fit fairly well. I just wish they came pre-drilled with holes. That took about the longest time trying to get all the holes right and body lined up right. Had to shave a couple corners to get it to fit snug, but not to bad. Had to chop up the flares/bumper to get my car to full lock safely, but the end results are well worth it.

[​IMG]

35. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

what is that quick release/clip thingy on the bumper to fender mating area? Is that staying?

36. liltoua

liltoua Member

My front bumper use to be held down by zip ties and that quick release on the side along with the one bolt from my flare. That's why I originally had the quick release. Since then I've bought some ebay front bumper clips to at least hold down the front of the bumper. I'm running the quick release because I had to cut off the tabs that hold the sides of the bumper on to have wheel clearance when I make full locks. It's there for a reason haha.

37. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

So it's there to stay?

38. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

That looks sick... moar pics!

39. liltoua

liltoua Member

Yea it's gonna stay....adds some character HAHA. Thanks JP.

40. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Yea I'm gonna run some quick release clips too since my radiator is in the bumper now, need to be able to get to it quickly.

41. liltoua

liltoua Member

Some of you might have already seen this, but forgot not everyone on WRXATL is my friend on FB haha. Picture from Import Alliance this year. Probably gonna be getting the widebody rears soon.

[​IMG]

42. b reel

b reel Active Member

nice, you know if you had driven down to pick up those sway bar brackets you could have had the side markers for those fenders ;)

43. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Dammit Toua I'm about to order wheels and flares because of you

44. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

It's looking tough. I dig it. I like the latches of the bumper. I hope you keep'em.

45. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

how's the suspension in terms of handling and ride comfort? that stance looks amazing, but it doesn't look like it would have too much room for vertical movement, just wondering how it drives both aggressive and non-aggressive

46. Tperk90

Tperk90 Member

Wow, thats looking sick!

47. liltoua

liltoua Member

It's actually not that bad. I went back to get my rear quarter panels cut higher for more clearance and it helped out a bunch. I only scrub in the front but I would have to hit a pot hole to hear some rubbing and the rear scrub on the flares occasionally because of the way I mounted my flares. As far as handling...it's freakin awesome. I can't seem to break tracking on this car because it has sooooo much grip. I daily this thing everyday. I hate seeing those garage queen cars that sit all day in the garage. Daily driving isn't that bad, I have full interior (minus headliner) so it's not that loud. The loudest thing is the tires, these dunlop star specs get supper noisy the more miles you put on it.

48. liltoua

liltoua Member

I got a box!!!!!

[​IMG]

Damn right I took a picture of a box haha! Not everyday you get a box that says Bride on it ;). Anyways got some rails for the new seat I got in the car. I figure since this is still a daily, I would just make myself uncomfortable and keep the passenger somewhat comfortable.

[​IMG]

49. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Looking good

50. dundunskeert

dundunskeert Member

Dayum! I can't wait to get back stateside and go cruise with you.