Looking to buy an 07-08 Forester XT, anything I should know?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by 5spdfrk, Nov 16, 2015.

1. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

It's been a while since I've been in a Subaru and I'm looking to get something peppy yet suitable for a DD. I've been looking at the 2007-2008 Forester XT Limited and Sports models. Anything I should be aware of before looking at them? Anything I should look for on the actual car itself when looking at one in person? TIA

2. resynch

resynch Supporting Member

Good luck with your search for an 07-08 Forester XT Sports. Being the proud owner of my 07 Forester XT Sports was just a matter of luck because they are pretty rare. Finding one that is a 5 speed is stupid rare in good shape.

However, they are excellent DD machines! Since they share the same platform as 02-07 wrx/sti, they are plagued with the same issues as those cars. Like with all cars, as long as they are properly maintained they are pretty tough cars. I absolutely love mine (even though its a 4eat but I do smell sti 6 speed in the future) and enjoy the carrying capacity of it as well.

Since they have the same block as an STI, you can slap on the Turbo, Intercooler, and a few other STI bits and really give an STI an run for its money.

Subaruforester.org is a great resource for all things fozzy and will have most of the questions you need! Hope you find a Sports XT!

3. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Thanks for the info. I've found a Sports locally, but it's a 4EAT. While the enthusiast in me wants a manual, I think the auto will serve me well as a DD. I'm going to try to look at it tomorrow if it's still available.

According to the forester forums, the 4eat came with some special sensors or something that detect yaw and some other things. I need to do some more research on it, but it seems to have an advantage over the manual in that area.

4. resynch

5. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Correct, VDC/VTC. Thanks for the link!

6. resynch

Your welcome and if you get it, I actually have a Forester fitment G200 catback exhaust that will fit it for sale. I am very negotiable!

7. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Well, unfortunately, the vehicle was not in as good of condition as I'd hoped. I still wanted to drive it since I hadn't driven one before and asked the employee if he minded moving some of the other vehicles out of the way so I could do that. Since he was the only employee there at the time, he said he couldn't do that, but if I was ready to buy that he could. Typical "mom and pop" local car dealer imo, so at this point I just opted to leave instead of pushing the point of how is someone going to be ready to buy without taking the vehicle out on the road. Oh well, the search continues.

8. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Oh and they upped the price $1,000 from when they first posted it.

9. b reel

b reel Active Member

slushbox auto is way more reliable than the glass infused 5-spd manual.

Run as far as you can from yankee/florida cars, the rusty nuts and bolts will drive you crazy and I swear all of the bushings crumble once they come in contact with salt.

10. resynch

Was it the black one off Alpharetta Hwy in Roswell? It looked clean from the pictures if that was the one. Damn shame that they didn't want to move a few cars to allow a test drive. Also, with the fact that they upped the price on you just shows that you can do better elsewhere. I know you will find one, it just hasn't met you yet.

11. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

Lance - tint freak has a beautiful silver xt for sale although it's an 04. I believe AllPro has it

12. resynch

13. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

What's he driving now?

14. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

price seems high for a 12 year old car, regardless of the "built" block

15. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Yes, that's the one. It's not near as nice in person. When he cranked it up, it sounded like it had exhaust, but when I went and looked, it was stock. Must've been a pretty awesome exhaust leak. The car smelled funny too, possibly like it had been smoked in and they tried to cover up the smell. Sunroof didn't operate properly either. Too bad, cause it's exactly what I'm after.

I saw it on CL, it looks nice, but not what I'm after at the moment.
    Yep, that's it! Don't want to waste his time in driving it though since I'm not interested in purchasing it.
    Yeh, definitely couldn't get a loan for that amount and I don't want to part with the cash to make up the difference.

16. resynch

17. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Thanks I saw this the other day and will actually be in Auburn this weekend. I plan to give the guy a call and see if I can at least drive it. It appears to be a little high on price given the mileage, but if it's super clean and he has all the service records it may be worth it idk.

18. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

Very clean!!! But yea, price is high for sure... Let us know if you get it!

19. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Talked to him today and he's in KY for the long weekend. Told him I'd hit him up the next time I'm in Auburn to see if it's still available.

20. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Ended up getting to meet up with him yesterday and like how the car drove, but given the higher mileage, several dents, dings, etc. and no maintenance history, I decided to pass. Also, the y-pipe for the intercooler was repaired with electrical tape. Just nothing I wanted to start messing with, so the search continues.

21. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

good luck Steven!

22. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Thanks Matt!

23. resynch

Man, I hope you find the Fozzy you are looking for. Glad you aren't settling for garbage and I will keep my eyes peeled.

24. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Yep, I definitely won't settle. Thanks!