Max Q's DGM 2008 LGT Spec.B

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by Max Q, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Max Q

Max Q Member

Back in May, I flew out to Denver to purchase a used Spec.B from a forum member on LegacyGT.com. The months that followed have been neatly organized with pics and details in this thread, but to summarize:

*Deep Breath* turbo blew halfway home from Denver, jury-rigged the intake/exhaust and completed the trip home, motor was destroyed by debris, purchased and installed used Ej255 longblock from another forum member and supporting parts, misfires on cylinder 4, removed engine and discovered burnt #4 exhaust valve, busted ringland, and scored cylinders, engine completely rebuilt, finally have a running car 3 months later. :beer:

Now that everything is back on schedule and my RS coupe is sold, here's my build thread. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Modifications:
    Rebuilt EJ255 Longblock with B25 Heads (No Secondary Air System)
    Bullet-Proof Intercooler Mod
    BNR VF40-EVO16G/TD05H Turbo
    Invidia Catless Downpipe
    IPT Braided Turbo Oil Supply Line w/Banjo Bolt Filter Removal
    Cobb Tuning 3-Port EBCS
    Cobb Accessport
    SPT Intake and Box
    ACT HD Clutch
    Stainless Braided Clutch/Brake Lines
    STi Flywheel
    DBA Slotted Rotors
    DIY Front Grill
    STi Front Spoiler
    Paint Matched Fog Shrouds

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  2. Tank

Tank Member

Beautiful looking Spec B the color is perfect. With the new engine and the supporting mods what kind of power do you think it is making? And clue me in what is the “bullet-proof intercooler mod”?

3. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

Love your Legacy!

Tank... The "bullet proof intercooler mod" essentially consists of some channel rails bolted together that fit over the lips where the metal intercooler body meets the plastic end tanks. The purpose is to hold them together tightly, as the Legacy intercooler design was prone to eventually separate and leak along those seams when running higher than stock boost levels.

Much more economical alternative to the super expensive, all metal Perrin TMIC for these cars.

4. Tank

Tank Member

Thanks for the explanation. I don't know as much about the Spec-B or the WRX (noob) as I do my 240sx. I have been doing some reading and working on learning about the car. I'll get out of this person's build thread with my questions but is that something that I should be looking at doing for an 08 WRX?

5. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Nice car and bike, is that an Ibis?

6. ghionw

ghionw Member

Nice looking car and sorry to hear about your motor issues. I was looking into getting a 4th gen LGT before I actually pulled the trigger on my 5th Gen. I think SoG actually had a silver 08 spec B for sale early last year. Super hard to find in the south.

7. Max Q

Max Q Member

Thanks Marx for the explanation. Tank: The tune is still getting ironed out I think it will end up somewhere near 250 whp.

8. Max Q

Max Q Member

Thanks! Specialized Enduro.

9. Max Q

Max Q Member

Been a while since I've posted anything but just about the only thing I've done this past year is fail in trying to isolate a chronic misfire.

I played around a little with the Navi. Nothing real ground breaking here except maybe the A/V connector installation. Basically, I wanted real time weather radar and traffic displayed full time, and short of replacing the entire dash, this was the best option. It will also do Netflix, Youtube, Spotify, and anything compatible with iPad/DisplayOut. Comcast Xfinity and Amazon Prime are currently locked out. The video is for my passengers, of course. One should not be watching Netflix while driving. So here it is...

Problem: Crappy user interface on nav screen, practically useless turn-by-turn navigation with incomplete POI database, cumbersome aux cords strewn about the car, buzzing speakers when phone's charging w/aux-in, cheap plastic phone mounts that fall apart after a couple weeks.

Solution: Install composite audio/video connections in center console and connect to rear of nav screen, connect iPad using 30pin-Composite cable, disable screen lockout, install Belkin's Bluetooth hands free kit in center console to eliminate all exposed wires, and install Mountek nGroove CD slot mount.

Result:

Moving street map w/ Nexrad Radar overlay powered by ForeFlight v5.1.1/Jailbroken iPad, Waze (on mobile)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mountek nGroove CD Slot Mount
    [​IMG]

Composite A/V connectors mounted to wall of console w/ iPad cable and Belkin BT Kit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Belkin BT receiver attached to lid with supplied magnetic mount.
    [​IMG]

10. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

looking great! Miss my legacy even more now...love the car and glad you're getting the issues worked out!