Me apprehension of a 1987 rx

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by Steven Lewis, Jul 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Steven Lewis

Steven Lewis New Member

I am just now getting into the subie scene now. Went out to Idaho this summer and found a real gem. A 1987 Subaru RX. Bought it from the second owner, him not being able to start it, I stole the car for $600. Found after 20 minutes of gettin it home that he had the distributor in 180 off. Fired right up when I correctly went through the timing process. Put new water pump, timing belts, pulleys, front main, cam seals, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, etc. All in all I'm in the car $850. The kicker too - it's only got 89,000 original miles. Drove it back with a Dana 44 3/4 ton axle doin 75 and averaging 26 1/4 mpg. The car in the purchase price came with blue 02 WRX seats. Put the fronts in and left the original seats in the rear. Also came with an 02 WRX intercooler aswell. I plan on doing an intake, exhaust, and intercool it. Then I'll probably eventually change out the hubs and put a nice 5-lug set up, to replace the god awful original graph paper patterned hubcaps. Absolutely blown away with my find and how well it turned out for less than a grand.

Drowland87 and Sparta like this.
  2. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Welcome!

3. Drowland87

Drowland87 Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome Steven