Mountain Run Sunday April 22nd

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by Jake, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Jake

Jake Active Member

So I finally got my car back and other than a few little odds and ends, i think she's ready to hit the lollipop loop again. I am off that day and thought that with it being far enough out, maybe we could get a good bit of interest. So who's down. Meet details can be found on page 4 on post #68 by Keegan.

WE WILL BE MEETING UP IN THE HOME DEPOT PARKING LOT OFF OF EXIT #14 @ 11:00AM ON SUNDAY. WE WILL THEN HEAD TO WALMART IN DAHLONEGA AND BE THERE AROUND 12NOON. FROM THERE WE WILL DECIDE LUNCH, ROUTES, ETC. PLEASE POST WHERE YOU WILL BE MEETING US, SO THAT WE KNOW WHO TO WAIT ON.
    THANKS!

-Jake

List:
    BC2003UGA
    KeeganXT
    Greg
    Jason
    Bomjoon
    pEd
    wei210wei
    Bluetwo
    papatel

Maybes:
    Dacula Dean
    Knhtrdr

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  2. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Depends on how the cops are watchin the road and if I have to work on setting up some servers at work on not. Otherwise, I want to test out the coilovers. I'd like to see some guys I haven't seen in a while go, James (aka Greg), and Monk for sure.

3. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

4. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

5. Greg

Greg Active Member

uh oh ;)

6. Jake

Jake Active Member

Ok my bad I guess that means we'll be there

7. Demo24

Demo24 Member

I went up last Sat. 19/9 aren't to fun as it has been repaved within the last few months and is slick. However once turning off that everything is fine.

When I went I found very few people, and saw no cops. The people I did get behind usually pulled over. I'd say now is a good time before people start going up more often in the summer.

8. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

I'd rather go on a mountain run then pay money to watch what i can go do in the mountains for free!!!

9. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

public roads vs. controlled environment

10. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

:ugh:

^^^ What he said.

11. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

It is free to watch.

For, nothing beats driving the crap out of my car in a controlled environment.

--
    Brian

12. Jake

Jake Active Member

Yeah I don't kno, unless I come into some money I still think I am gonna do this mountain run. This can be for all the poor people or those who don't want to watch the others race. Just an alternative. Plus I wanna get some pics of the scenery this time.

13. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

I was under the impression that there was a spectator charge...i stand corrected. Still want to go drive the twisties though! Unless there is a scenic view at autocross events all of a sudden!

14. Meredith

Meredith Banned

I'm sure that the gas money you spend driving up to the mountains be can't less than an autox. The cost of ticket up there will equal about 10 autoxs or a couple of track days. Besides I rather hit cones than trees.

15. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

I'd like to go to this autoX if I can ride along with some ppl. Anyone willing to give me a ride? I'll hold the video camera. :)

16. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

i think i'd like to drop by the event myself and hang out. i haven't seen most of you since quiznos.

17. Meredith

Meredith Banned

You are welcome to ride along on my time only runs in the afternoon. However I don't believe you can ride while holding an unmounted camera.

18. Meredith

Meredith Banned

Why not drive? ;)

19. BelvnAWD

You don't have to pay to watch either...Never mind, Brian beat me to it...

20. monk

car's EM not done :) but i'll take a spin with you and milo ;)

helmets are required right?

21. Meredith

Meredith Banned

EM? You don't need EM to autox..... I don't have EM.

22. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

i thought this was a mountain run thread you bunch of thread jackers :)

we just picked a day, just didn't know it was the same day as autox. and since when is doing a mountain run so bad...theres a forum on here devoted to it aswell as autox.

23. monk

24. Meredith

Meredith Banned

[​IMG]

/end thread jack

25. BelvnAWD

Burrrrrnnnnnn!!!!

26. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

Assuming that is milo's old 02-03?

HMMMMMM...I guess no one else is going to stick up for mountain runs...lostinthewoods...Greg...BoomJon...anybody! I drive pretty safe when I go out there, not that milo is a bad driver. But going up to the mountains is something I've always liked to do.

But i guess we should have that part of the forum closed and no one should be allowed to mention it...kinda like street racing! Not like I'm attacking auto-x or anything, I just like the view, the fresh air, and the company when going on mountain runs! But i guess I must be saying something someone doesn't like to get milo's wreck thrown in my face! Hmmmm, nice guys!

Not what I've come to expect from this community!

But I guess there always has to be a party pooper...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  27. Meredith

Meredith Banned

I didn't mean any offense, I used to go up the mountains all the time with my car. The first time I went to deal's gap, one kid wreck his car; the second time another kid came very close to driving off the side of the mountain. Then I used to driveup to dalonega all the time, that was all ended when my husband got a ticket. I realized then that going up there is just asking for trouble (whether it be tickets or accidents) and it was pretty irresponsible of me.

28. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

thanks...i do understand that it can be a bit risky. I fortunately haven't had to be witness to any wrecks. I guess I've just been lucky that nothing happened when I've gone. But still i'm usually the guy that slows everyone down a bit.

I guess no one else wants to go...?

29. Meredith

Meredith Banned

just drive safe!

30. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

That's just uncalled for...

but daaaaaang... Milo got served! +1 for Meredith...

31. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

I'm sure he'll appreciate that...:) too funny.

32. Jake

Jake Active Member

I will have a friend coming in town to go with us. Even if its a couple people I will still go. Wanna show a friend what the mountains are all about. Yeah, nothing against auto-x's, just not my scene. I love the mountains, cars or not.

33. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

if you can get greg to go i'll go...

i think we (evolutionse) are thinking about a day trip to dragon or to the dalhonega. i'll let you know before monday.

34. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

I wouldn't call it uncalled for, as it is just the reality of what could happen. Conditions aren't always predictable, and shit can tend to happen.

I wouldn't call it +1 for anyone.. Milo was lucky that there were no serious injuries to him or his passenger.

I f#*@'d up and learned my lesson a different way, by following another car too closely around a corner faster than I should have, where a cop happened to be stopping traffic due to a semi that had gotten stuck on the road. I was given a ticket for reckless driving, along with another participant on the mountain drive that I was following. It ended up costing each of us ~$1100 by the end, paying for the ticket, and lawyer fees so that the ticket would get reduced. I was lucky to get the ticket reduced, and not have it hit my insurance at all.

I am not saying that you shouldn't go up in the mountains, but just be careful.

Personally, I feel stupid for ever going on the 7-8 mountain runs that I did AND pushing the car harder than I should have. After finding other legal venues to drive my car aggressively (track and autoX), I feel absolutely no urge to ever go on a mountain run again. I don't get much out of the scenery, but I love pushing the car hard in turns.

--
    Brian

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  35. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

i dont push my car to a point where its dangerous... it be just a sperited run.

i also like doing a autox but the waiting on the whole thing turns me off.
    you wait all day to run 5 min.
    its fun but i like driving constantly.

but autox is definately safer and dont have to worry about tickets.

36. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

I never felt that I pushed my car to where I felt that it was dangerous in the mountains.

If you hate the waiting around for autoX, try some track days :) Lots more seat time.

--
    Brian

37. Jake

Jake Active Member

I'm just not one to pay to drive my car. I want a reliable daily driver (for the time being) don't need a track car.

38. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

yah but i also dont like paying $2-300 for a track times either... lol

but yes definately track is the way to go.

39. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

back on topic guys...

If you dont like mountain runs then have it be.

Thanks.

40. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

im definately up for a run if we could get 5 or more cars to go.
    i'll keep checking in here to find out who is all going.

41. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Holy shit!

I'm all over this one. Can't wait to feel those corners again. :D

42. Greg

Greg Active Member

ok now.... Milo's car was thrown in here for the wrong reason... People were bashing the runs due to excessive speeds and dangerous driving... Milo was doing neither, and I'm sure others will back me up on this. The road was somewhat damp and covered in gravel. I honestly doubt he'd be pushing it with a grill full of grease in his trunk.
    That being said, I think I'd be down for a run on Sunday, weather permitting... Tires are a little bald already, so it'll be kinda conservative on this side though...

43. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

dude you got atleast 5/8 of the tread left in those tires. no excuse for you.

44. Greg

Greg Active Member

Thats gotta last a while too... I'm broke :(

45. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

well if you stop trying to beat a 6000 lbs truck that you cant beat it will last longer. lol j/k

i'll stop with the whole powned thing...

lets go up to the mt. im not gonna push my car either so we can just hang back.

46. Greg

Greg Active Member

Isn't it supposed to rain Sunday...?

47. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

25% chance but this run is on 22nd.

48. V_WRX

V_WRX Member

Free bump for the mountain run. I'll be going in the mountains this sunday.

Have fun guys!

49. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

Thank god...you guys are nuts to keep up with!

50. Jake

Jake Active Member

yeah, should be a good group. i think Hazzard (from the savannah board) might be riding with us too. as well as Jason mentioned tonight he might go. so we are looking at what? around 5-7ish.

I guess we should discuss meeting time huh? I say around 11am-ish at the walmart in Dahlonega and we can meet at that home depot again for the people who aren't sure how to get to Dahlonega....