My Adventures with Subarus

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by jeb, Oct 21, 2008.

1. jeb

jeb Member

This is probably a long time overdue but I'm kinda slow at work this afternoon so here we go. I was lucky enough to have my parents buy me my first Subaru for me while I was still in school at Georgia Tech back in 2004. It was a silver 02 with just over 30,000 miles on it at the time. I put an Invidia downpipe and Sti cat back on it not too long after that. When I got tired of looking at the CEL I swapped ECUs to one that had the Cobb Stage 2 map on it and loved it. When I was upgrading my tires I stumbled upon a set of chrome Kazera wheels for about what I could have bought just tires for so I jumped on that. I sold it just a couple weeks ago with just under 96,000 miles and have to admit I was kinda sad to see it go. I had quite a few good stories in that car, the dent in the drivers side rear door for example is from one of my friends heads. Pictures of that car are here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/JasonEberhard/02WRX
    But on to better and faster things....

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  2. jeb

jeb Member

A couple months ago I stumbled onto Chris Lowe's car he had listed on here and after I finally got a loan, banks were already starting to be a PITA at that point, I was able to buy my first car. Its one hell of a car too. Its a Sedona Red 03 with right at 30,000 miles on it.
    Pictures of it here: http://picasaweb.google.com/JasonEberhard/03WRX
    Here is everything Chris had built for those of you that didn't see the listing:

Engine.

Crawford Performance S2 2.5l engine block, with CP pistons.
    Crower Stage 3 camshafts, with Titanium valvesprings and retainers.
    ARP fasteners throughout, Head Studs, Rod bolts, Wrist pins, Mains. Etc..
    Forced Performance 18G Turbo with .86 A/R housing and 36mm wastegate
    Sti 550cc Injectors
    APS cold air intake
    APS black DR550 front mount intercooler
    Tial 52mm Blow off valve
    Perrin Turbo inlet pipe
    Perrin fuel rails modified to except -6 a/n fuel lines
    Aeromotive Fuel pressure regulator
    Aeromotive -6 a/n stainless fuel lines throughout
    Aeromotive microscreen fuel filter
    Walbro 255lph fuel pump
    Turbo XS cast iron up pipe
    Custom divorced wastegate downpipe from Grand Mufflers Inc.
    Greddy EVO Exhaust system
    STI Coil packs
    Power Enterprise timing belt
    Optima Yellow top battery
    New 4 guage battery harness cutsom built.
    EcuTec reflash from Scott Siegel

Electronics.

Greddy Profec B Spec 2 boost controller flush mounted in ashtray pocket.
    Greddy type 1 turbo timer flush mounted in dash beside cupholder
    Turbo XS wideband 02 sensor with datalog capabilities
    Omori custom boost guage in oem guage pod. Matches oem guages perfectly

Audio System.

Alpine IVA-D901 In dash DVD multimedia station
    Alpine 6 disc CD changer, under drivers seat
    JL Audio XR 6.5" Component speakers in front doors
    JL Audio XR 5.25" Coaxial speakers in rear doors
    JL Audio 300/4 4 channel amplifier
    JL Audio 500/1 Subwoofer amplifier
    Alpine Type X 10" subwoofer

Suspension and Drivetrain

KYB Struts
    H&R 1.5" lowering springs
    Cusco front and rear swaybars
    Perrin swaybar endlinks
    Cusco front subframe brace
    Exedy Stage 3 clutch
    Hawk brake pads
    Stoptech braided brake lines, NOT Installed on car, Brand new in package
    Nippon spyder 17 x 8" wheels
    Michelin pilot sport a/s tires

Interior.

Katskin Embroidered black leather seats with WRX Emblem

Chris's craftsmanship is top notch and in my short dealings with him he seems like a great guy. Those of you that have seen this car will admit to how clean it is for an 03.

Shortly after buying the car there were several things I wanted to do to continue putting together my favorite bugeye.

3. jeb

jeb Member

The car was in need of new tires due to some dry rot in them from the car sitting for awhile and I knew that I would be upgrading to larger brakes so I decided to go ahead and get wheels as well. I really liked gold on the red subarus and the timing couldn't have been better for the wheel swap Mike(mmtasty), Lenard(scoobaru), and I did that netted me Mike's sweet gold Prodrive PFF7s. I didn't get a chance to get many pictures of the car with them on it yet but when I get the car back from the shop I'll get some up. Hopefully I'll be putting some form of BBK on it at that point as well. In the not too distant future I plan on going to a larger turbo (Dom 3 maybe) with bigger injectors and riding the stock 5 speed until I blow it up or can find a 6 speed for a good price. Hopefully I'll be able to stop dropping money into it at that point but I'm as I'm sure all of you know that will be tough to do.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  4. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

wow, excellent setup. All you need is a bigge turbo, bigger injectors and you should be good to go power wise. Transmission is most likely an inevitable upgrade for you in the future, however your engine is preped and ready to make huge power, congrats again.

With a fully built motor, I would suggest to go nothing smaller than a gt3076r

5. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

Nice! I am really wanting another Subie. Keep us posted on all the progress!

6. jeb

jeb Member

So the reason my car is currently in the shop...I'll try not to get angry as I type this. Coming home from work last week I get off at the Spring street ramp, coming from the connector south, turn right on spring and take the two lane right turn that puts you onto centennial and stop at the light. Here's the intersection: http://picasaweb.google.com/JasonEberhard/03WRX#5259718511042598162
    The semi truck in the picture is almost exactly where the one that hit me was. I was the first car in the right lane at the light. So the light turns green and I pull straight forward about five feet because people coming the other direction have grid locked the intersection. The semi was turning left through the intersection and as he did the rear end swung out catching the back of my car resulting in this: http://picasaweb.google.com/JasonEberhard/03WRX#5259701301597251314
    Once the cop gets there he's trying to convince her that this was somehow my fault. His story was that I came around him moved into his lane to try and get past the cars that were stopped in the intersection, stopped and what hit by him. Obviously there isn't any way I could have gotten to that spot with a semi in the way and he simply did not look or didn't see me but he got cited and I didn't so I'm not too worried about it insurance wise. My car is supposed to be in the shop for 3-4 weeks now and I guess the only positive out of this is I get a rental to put buttloads of miles on for the time being.

7. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

I feel your pain UG! Make sure to repaint the whole car on his dime:)

8. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

sorry to hear about your accident, that's why downtown Atlanta roads have a special place in my heart...the pure hatred spot

9. jeb

jeb Member

Well 3/4 of the car was painted about 5 months ago(before I bought it) because it was keyed so the paint is pretty fresh. I just hate getting a part that isn't replaceable damaged. They're going to have to take everything out of the trunk and the back seat to weld on that rear quarter panel. It's at Autoglo which is a very reputable shop from what I've heard. I just hope they don't jack up any of the audio stuff. Either way I'm hoping I can fight for a depreciation check that's big enough to fund my BBK

10. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

very sweet ride...and clean as hell in person! sucks about the accident!

11. jeb

jeb Member

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  12. jeb

jeb Member

Well 31 days later and I finally got my car back after lunch today
    Black brembo's, SS lines, and the DBA 5000 rotors going on tomorrow

13. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Awesome, no photos this time? :)

14. jeb

jeb Member

I'll take some in the morning and put them up..... I still haven't put any up with the new wheels yet

15. jeb

jeb Member

I has Brembos :)
    Installed them this past Saturday along with the DBA5000 slotted and drilled rotors. Car stops much harder at higher speeds. I'll get pics up when I get a chance

16. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

awww man, I could've sold you my new DBA5000s fronts for cheap, hope you got a good deal

17. jeb

jeb Member

Paid $400 for the rotors(pair), they're the older blue centerhats so the guy was just trying clear out his stock. I hadn't seen them anywhere close to that price so I jumped on them when I could.

18. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

I have the gold hats version paid almot double the price you paid so that clearnce price is one awesome deal.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  19. jeb

jeb Member

I still need to find some new rotors for the rear though, I've got the brackets to do the H6 conversion but haven't found any rotors for a decent price yet.

20. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

would that change brake bias negatviely, hope you don't mind me cluttering your journal thread

21. jeb

jeb Member

I'm no expert on it but I think the Brembos moved the bias forward a bit and the H6 conversion helps move it back to near stock levels but it'll still have a slight front bias. I can tell you if feels very front biased right now. Trail braking is a lot more "fun" than it used to be

22. jeb

jeb Member

My adventures with subaru's are taking a hiatus. Picked up a new Fiesta ST on Monday and have to say I'm very impressed so far. Getting 34MPG going back and forth to work and its very planted, but not as quick as my subaru.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]