My DIY basement home theater

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by nicad, Nov 29, 2008.

1. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

probably not going to use infinite baffle design. leaning towards a mach 5 audio driver with a sub design I'm getting from htforum. speaker designs will be shamelessly stolen from there as well., they have some nice designs but some of the drivers can be pricey (but well worth it from my research)

2. motomark

motomark Loudest fuel pump Tucker Supporting Member

I'm sure you have been here before, too?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=155

There are some folks on here that are pretty much criminally insane. I'm pretty sure there's a guy in there who cracked the foundation of his house. Seriously.

Anyway, lots of good ideas on both websites and plenty of very smart people who spend WAY too much time modeling drivers in different alignments. No need to re-invent the wheel when there are so many good designs that if you don't mind a little DIY sawdust that can pretty much obliterate any commercial offerings.

I have an 80" front projector (Mitsu. HD1000U) on a "small" 80" screen and as much wow factor as the big screen is, I pop in Flight of the Phoenix crash scene and when the plane does the slow barrel roll the whole room is energized.. the look on most people's faces is absolutely priceless.

Did I mention don't skimp on the subwoofer??? LOL.

3. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

yep. I browse them and avsforum a fucking lot lately. seemed like htforum had easier access to proven designs than avs. I've seen some of the infinite baffle designs. one guy was sitting in his box peeking over the top with (8) drivers in there, about 25 foot long.

4. motomark

So you building a sonotube LLT with IXL18? They are quick and easy and results seem to be pretty thunderous.

I want to do an 18" downfiring with 2 18" PR for my next project. Now all I need is money. LOL.

5. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

i doubt about a sonotube. there is a nice ported box design from a guy on avsforum I'll use

big thanks to techlord for the rack! you da man

6. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

progress time. moved all the ducts to the other room and got the electrical subpanel installed

no ducts:
    [​IMG]

subpanel:
    [​IMG]

rack courtesy of techlord:
    [​IMG]

7. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

picked up my seats today. berkline 090s, black leather. about 40% of what they normally sell for

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  8. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

added shitty iphone picture of seats. got the WAPCE a new digital camera for kwanza so picture quality will improve

9. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

The pictures are indeed lacking...

10. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

picked up a new digital camera and a 10" table saw for christmas. goals are to get the walls framed, and start building the enclosures for speakers.

decided on a subwoofer for my setup:
    [​IMG]

maelstrom-x 18". retarded Xmax, power handling, you name it. think 100dB @ 10Hz. will be fed by a bridged behringer, 2400W @ 4 ohms.

11. jeb

jeb Member

100dB @ 10 Hz....you planning on fortifying your foundation?

12. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

nope :( heh

13. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

Made a few hard decisions about speaker lineup. WIll be ordering the parts for these shortly.

Fronts will be either statement monitors or mini statements. these are DIY courtesy of the guides at www.htguide.com

Around ~$500 for L/R for the mini statements, and $300 or so for the mini statements (per pair)

mini statements:

[​IMG]

statement monitors:
    [​IMG]

statement center:
    [​IMG]

undecided between the minis and the monitors for the front stage. they require a minimum of 12" from the wall, since the mid is an open back design. I'm leaning towards the statement monitors due to the cheaper price (lack of 2nd woofer) and I will have a retarded sub anyway to handle the bass.

still on the lookout for a good DIY speaker for the surrounds. in-wall would be preferable, as I would like to flush mount them in some columns

14. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

picked up a bunch of lumber today for the base and top plates. also got some R3 styrofoam insulation for the concrete walls. crap is expensive, $10/sheet :unamused:

15. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

Ordered my subwoofer today. CANNOT WAIT.

Shipped/Billed On: 01/20/2009
    Service: GROUND
    Weight: 55.00 Lbs

16. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Is it just me or is it strange the that Mini Statements are bigger than the standard statements??

17. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

those are stantement monitors. the standard statements are huge

18. techlord

techlord Active Member

looks like this is coming together nicely, good work Justin!

19. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

hey thanks rick. trying to do what I can with my time/money

20. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

let us know when speaker work begins, I'd love to see pics in progress of that

21. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

sub arrived today.

this thing is a damn BEAST

[​IMG]

drivers license in the middle for size reference

22. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

[​IMG]

heavy. work to start on box soon

23. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

what's that shit on your chin?

24. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

maybe if you were tall enough you could see it

25. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

26. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

tread lightly my little shiksah

27. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

schmuck, when did I become a "non-jewish woman" :rofl: that was the name of our dog when I was a kid.

28. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I thought you mike like it. now stop shitting up my thread

29. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

sub amp has been ordered. 2400W of goodness is on its way

30. Impreza_RSK

Impreza_RSK Member

What type of screen are you going to use. I have an 84inch projector screen and a HD projector its awsome. But the room design looks awsome:bowdown:. I just wish I could do that to my bed room.:unamused:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  31. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

home built screen using an acoustically transparent material. can buy the fabric by the yard

32. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

sub amp came in today. 2400W rackmount amp. bastard is HEAVY

[​IMG]
    box construction to start when I get off my lazy ass and go buy two sheets of 3/4" MDF

33. jeb

jeb Member

Good think you'll be able to feel the bass with that much power, say bye bye to being able to hear anything below 35HZ

34. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I've read a lot about it. a few studies have suggested that exposure to subsonic frequencies at high SPLs does not lead to permanent hearing loss. mid and upper range frequencies are the most damaging.

most people can't hear down to that range anyway, you're simply feeling the room pressurization due to the driver. hell a low enough frequency can even make some people sick to their stomach.

me? I'm shooting for the brown note.

35. Trey

Trey Active Member

You feel the sound that low anyway. :p

Nice amp!

36. motomark

Nice choices

I forgot about this thread for a while. That is pretty much the defacto std in DIY sub amps and that is a ridiculouly nice driver. The guy from DIY Cable really stands behind his products from what I understand. The Shiva X's are really nice for the price also.

Someday I will probably do 4-15" in an IB setup and likely use the same amp. What are you using for bass management?

37. Trey

Trey Active Member

38. motomark

Yup... I have a BFD, one of the BEST purchases ever.

It's absolutely awesome. I picked one up locally on Craigslist for $60! They are impressive even at full retail price. Along with Room EQ Wizard it is really amazing (see hometheatershack.com). I had 3 probable locations for a sub in my Living Room/Theater; I was able to test all 3 locations for freq response. I guess I have a crappy room, since the BEST location freq response had a +12 db lump around 50Hz. Now with several filters in the BFD I have a -3db point of 18hz and nearly perfect "house curve".

Great reading on a house curve:
    http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/brucekhousecurve.htm

This from a 12" driver and 12" passive radiator. Not as loud as some of these newer 18" 30mm XMax drivers but very clean sound ( I am 50% music/ 50% home theater) and still enough bass action to knock an occasional picture off the wall.

39. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

yep, I plan on using a feedback destroyer for the bass management. motomark would you recommend a subsonic filter for use with it?

REW will be used once I get things set up

40. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

ordered all the components (minus the tweeters, backordered) for my statement monitors. picked up some binding posts and the flared port tube for the L/R also

start building next week since I'll be out of town this weekend skiing

41. Ben@TTR

Ben@TTR Member

Nice work man! Looking foward to seeing this finished

42. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

few updates. finally decided on an amp to power all of my speakers. they will be 4ohm drivers, so most home theater receivers have issues driving them. if I can find a receiver that's badass enough I will try it with it first. anyway, this beauty:

http://emotiva.com/upa7.shtm

is a beast. for $600 it drives 7 channels, @ 185w/channel @ 4ohms.

tweeters were ordered tonight, had to go with the silver ones since black was out of stock. ribbon tweeters are fucking expensive, $89 EACH. :unamused:

43. Trey

Trey Active Member

I got the Emotiva XPA-5 over the holidays when they had free shipping.

Awesome amp/ company!

44. Mad Mallard

woah....

... is it getting its own 230 drop w/ high amps?

45. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I am running two 120V circuits to the rack, 20A each. I figure 40A should cover most of it. if not I'll add a third. haven't done a load calculation but I probably will soon

the behringer will run on 220V but I don't see the point, but the double pole breakers are huge and take up a lot of room in my box (not that box you perverts)

46. Mad Mallard

well, most people find the EP runs out of real breath around 2100. but factor in likeley efficiency hovers in the 80 area...120x20 is 2400, so depending on how much of an envelope you wanna push, each amp should probably be on their own circuits from eachother.

Both amps are chunky enough to be seriously current thirsty on spikey soundtracks, just wondering if you'd considered going high voltage.

47. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

Yeah. 220... 221, whatever it takes.

48. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

got some stuff in the mail today. all of the drivers, ports, and crossover components to build the left and right speakers.

[​IMG]

neotek ribbon tweeters, tang band titanium mids, and dayton 4 ohm woofers (7").

49. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

50. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

Looks good