My new brighton

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by Doug@DBW Motorsports, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

Chargespeed

2. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Doug you are having great taste with this car. Two BIG THUMBS up from me. :)

3. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

That thing i pure sexy and evil at the same time. I love it man, Nice job.

4. jayj713

jayj713 Member

i want a brighton :(

5. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Yeah, that thing is lookin pretty pimp...
    I can see the Porsche and Corvette guys at the track saying "What's a Brighton"?

6. Hazzard

Hazzard Member

i have a feeling they won't be saying it for long though. :naughty:

7. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

We always get a wtf from those guys at the track, everyone wants to know what the hell that 4 door thing was that passed them. I'm sure they get the same response in the Brighton.

Car looks good Doug.

8. KtownSubaru

KtownSubaru Member

I wish my job involved this... instead I had to pay 1100 bucks to fix running into a curb =[ (rather, a curb running into me).

9. schneid

schneid Member

car looks so mean...the bbs were definitely an upgrade

10. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Thx, but they aren't BBS's they are custom CCW's

11. schneid

schneid Member

I see the CCWs...I mean the BBS's were a big upgrade from the Rota's. The CCWs are my favorite

12. Doug@DBW Motorsports

here are a few pics from this weekend. Speedvision was there and like our team so they decided to follow us around for the weekend. Seems we make a good story.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Doug@DBW Motorsports

14. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

This is the baddest pic EVER! My new desktop!

15. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Here is a video from Saturdays practice. The camera is kinda jumpy so sorry for the quality. During practice the car is runing low boost, which puts it down about 100hp from where it is on race day. The car is still quick enough though to pull most anything on the track. Including built motor gt35 evos, turbo s2k's and the cusco subaru.

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XSI_wkQyxw

16. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Thats a sweet video. I kept waiting for you to keep it pinned up the hill and air it out off the drop before the banked turn. What kind of speeds were you hitting on that track?

17. Doug@DBW Motorsports

on the one longer straight we were seeing 6.5k rpms in 6th

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  18. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Car is looking solid man.

Quick question, why did you decide to go with fender flares as apposed to a wide body kit? Easier to fix/replace if wrecked?

19. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Love the vid Doug. Want to build me one?

20. Doug@DBW Motorsports

sure all that is needed is a brighton, 40k cash and about 6 months.

21. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yikes.....:rofl::rofl:

I saw a Brighton for sale down the road from me. With a longblock sitting in my shed it was mighty tempting. Keep up the good work!

Question about this car. Never mind.....its a 2.7L! No wonder it spools.

22. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Time for some winter off season updates...

Quick update: The set of Sparco Circuit's showed up today, and were too small. They were just uncomfortable for me to sit in. So I put them up for sale and sold them in under 3hrs, guess I priced them too low.

The good thing is I was very happy that I sold them, and it worked out the way it did. While I was at PRI in Orlando I got a chance to try out and sit in tons of different seats. I can honestly say after sitting in 30 different seats from 5 different manufactures that the RaceTech seats fit me the best.

So today I ordered a set of RT4009WHR. A bit pricey at $1100 each, but worth every penny.

If you ever get a chance I would highly recommend trying out each seat first before buying one. Seats are alot like clothes, in that two different seats both the same size will not fit the same. But when you do find that one that fits just right, the cost doesn't matter.

This is the new hotness
    [​IMG]

23. Doug@DBW Motorsports

New wheels are on it.. and I have decided to switch suspensions yet again.

This time I am going with a full Competition Racing setup from JRZ. They are custom length struts designed for my car since it sits so much lower. They are also 3way adjustable, so I have my high and low speed adjustments seperate.

Wheels are 18"x10" +38offset enkie RPF1. The fronts I had to run a 5mm spacer to clear the brake calipers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  24. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Finished the cage... just need to paint the interior black again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Doug@DBW Motorsports

New pics of the manifold... I am not finished with it as you can see. I am contemplating trying to find some kind of clear cover or lexan maybe. To make the top plate of the intake manifold. I think the velocity stacks are just too pimp to cover up. Just not sure how it would hold up to heat and boost... humm well see.

Like I posted earlier the throttle body has been move to where the ac compressor used to be. I did this for a few reasons, but my main reason was so I could make really short intercooler piping.

Here are the pics..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Is that revels car in the background?
    [​IMG]

27. Doug@DBW Motorsports

yup.. his motor should be done mid next week

28. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

That intake manifold is bad ass looking.

Can't wait to see how it performs.

29. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

is he rebuilding the ver (can't remember..i'm thinking ver 5 or 6) sti motor he had in there a while back?

30. WJM

WJM Banned

Transparent Aluminum.

[​IMG]

NICE manifold BTW.

31. Doug@DBW Motorsports

any info on this mysteriously aluminum

32. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

You'll have to ask Scotty.

33. Doug@DBW Motorsports

thats what I was thinking... just did a search and all it came up with was some military testing that it was real. But if you wanted to buy some you needed to contact the enterprise. haha

34. WJM

WJM Banned

35. WJM

WJM Banned

Yeah, the 'real deal' stuff would have to come from the 23rd century. :keke:

36. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

wow those enkeis give the car a whole new look....and I like it:)

37. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

uuuh.. those are probably the worst designed decals ever... Not the Topspeed ones... the urban8somethings. what does that say? I hope that's not important...

38. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Looking good guys, intake manifold looks awesome, its good to see Siegel putting that tech edumacation to work.

39. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Very hot guys! Nothing like two GaTech guys working together. Wait....you did go to Tech didn't ya Doug?

40. FACE

FACE Active Member

41. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Just put the car on the scales, and to my surprise I am actually under what I thought my weight was going to be.

Are you ready for this..

Drum Roll
    ..>>

2392lbs

42. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

holy crap

43. wrxin8or

is that the dry weight?

any pics of the finished up manifold?

44. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Very nice. Is this the lowest you gonna be able to get it or do you still think it'll go even lighter?

Also are you guys doing One Lap this year? I recall reading that you weren't.

45. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

Saweeeetttt...great job bro....

Mark

46. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

That's almost lighter than my EG hatch. :eek:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  47. Doug@DBW Motorsports

we are doing onelap this year... still up in the air as to which car we will be taking though.

48. Doug@DBW Motorsports

After last years season which was mostly just testing we have decided to tear apart our time attack car and rebuild it.

Taking from what we had previously learned from last year we wanted to build the ultimate road race motor package. One that would not only build boost fast but make great power up top and last for an entire season. What we wanted In essence was a flat tq curve with a large amount of useable power. I think we have finally succeeded in doing just that.

Also after long discussions with GSC Motorsports we decided to remove our Cosworth cams and run a set of GSC S2's. OMG what a difference, these cams are by far the best avcs cam we have tested to this date. Huge thanks to Greg for getting me a set to try out:banana::banana:.

This is only our BREAKIN TUNE, as we plan on raising the boost after we get some track time on the new block to further our testing.

This graph is a before and after showing the difference the GSC S2 cams (Run #10) made over Cosworths Race Cam (run #5).

Both runs were at wastegate pressure which is set at 1.4bar via the Tial Wastegate. Runs were also made on shell 93octane only.

I must say we have never tuned a suby that made over 500hp before on just 20psi of boost and 93octane.

Power Mods:

Topspeed FMIC
    Topspeed GT35r turbo kit
    Topspeed Fuel System
    Topspeed Ecutek Tune
    Topspeed Intake Manifold
    Topspeed 2.6L Pro Series Short Block
    Topspeed Pro Series Race Head
    GSC S2 Cams :devil:

For those that don't know the car I am talking about here is a picture from last year.

[​IMG]

Here is the before and after Dyno sheet.

[​IMG]

49. wrxin8or

holy hell....70hp from just cams?

wow...cant wait to see what happens when you really turn up the boost!

50. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Hell yea doug! Lookin good!

So hey man, how did tuning my friends Scion Tc work out? Look forward to see your car in action at one lap man! :)