My new brighton

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by Doug@DBW Motorsports, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Jake

Jake Active Member

the guys at GSC are awesome. i've known Leh for a while. he's a badass behind the wheel.

love the car, keep up the good work guys

2. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Whoa! Not only is the 70hp gain crazy but the flattened tq curve is sick!

Congrats Doug! What EM is on this car?

3. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

TIME FOR AN UPDATE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a link to one of the dyno runs done at Cobb Tuning's facility in Salt Lake. The Car made 530hp 500tq, on a very conservative Mustang dyno. Oh and we were also 4600ft elevation. Boost would peak 26psi and then taper to 23psi at redline. FWIW this is probably about equivalent to 575hp on my dyno.

Right Click Save-as

http://www.autoelot.com/personal/red...os/TSDyno7.mpg

[​IMG]

4. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

That's some nice power and curve. You should offer up rides at the next dyno day or something, because I would love to know what that kinda of power feels like.

Keep it up guys!

5. Doug@DBW Motorsports

6. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I so love Lucy!

That turbo sounds wicked. Doug do you like the standard 35r better than the HTA35r? I heard you were sorta disappointed in it.

7. Doug@DBW Motorsports

8. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

Sounds sweet. Nice numbers

9. FACE

FACE Active Member

That is one sexy intake manifold :naughty:

10. Doug@DBW Motorsports

11. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

Nice Pics!!!

12. kingwrex

kingwrex Supporting Member

Very Nice Guys.

13. Bolderer

Bolderer Member

This thread is absolutely top-notch! I love the before and after.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See you guys this week for a tune!

14. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

can i ask a dumb question? good. why do they put the graphics backward on one side of a car. everyone seems to do it. well a lot of drifters do anyway.

15. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

It's a old JDM trend.

16. Doug@DBW Motorsports

used to be done so when the car was photographed the graphics would match up no matter what side the pic was taken

17. Doug@DBW Motorsports

UPDATE!!!

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1670600
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1670601

After dominating the 2008 Time Attack season we should have probably left good enough alone. But as I am sure some have followed Redline has relaxed the unlimited class rules. Allowing for more radical modifications and changes to be made. Excited about the new rules in effect, we have decided to start building a new Shell and then swap over most of the existing drivetrain and suspension. This would make a for a fast and very cost effective build as I would only be out the costs for material and a Shell (big thanks to Slowwrx).

Like all of TopSpeed's builds we are open and willing to share everything with the public. No smoke and mirrors here or topsecrete info. Just kick ass builds and Wins. So if there are any questions feel free to ask and we will do our best to answer them.

Our initial plans were to take all the information we had learned from the past two seasons and build what we feel is the ultimate Time Attack car. With our end goal to have a lighter, stiffer and better balanced car. After much brainstorming we came up the following changes that need to be made.

Lower roof (lower CoG and less frontal area)
    Lower the ride height (lower CoG)
    Move radiator to rear (weight distribution)
    Front mount turbo (weight distribution)
    New Cage Design (Stiffer less weight)
    Seam Welding (chassis stiffness)
    Adj Suspension Pickup points (better geometry)

That is the small list of major changes we will be making. Ofcourse there will also be a ton of smaller changes, but those will not make as huge a difference.

The current Shell weights 430lbs. I have removed excess metal from key areas that will be strenthened by the cage. Also from the pictures you can see how much I have removed from the roof (2.5"). Next up is to cut and tub the wheel wells to allow tire clearance with the car sitting so low. Then its media blasted, seam welded, and caged.

Check back here as I plan on updating this thread with new build pictures. This build should go quick as we are scheduled for track testing in 8wks.

Enjoy,

Douglas Wilks
    TopSpeed Inc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Like I said when I was there...fucking awesome

Glad she is being put to good use

19. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

damn nice. makes me want to get a shell and swap mydrivetrain over lol

20. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

This is again going to be SO AWESOME. So what gonna happen to the original Lucy? Using her for anything?

21. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

could you provide a little more info on seam welding the chassis? maybe some pictures and examples?

always intrigued me, since I'm a hobbyist TIG welder

22. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Basically you find all the seams where the sheet metal is joined and clean them out.....they are full of sealant and weatherproofing and such. You take something flat and metal and clean it out. Then you basically weld that seam together. There's more involved but that is the gist of it and will let Doug elaborate on that.

Very tedious job but it makes the car much more stable and stiff.

23. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Oh. I am now subscribed to this thread!
    Could you just set up some bleachers in the shop so we could hang out and watch??

24. Doug@DBW Motorsports

1/9/09 - update

Finished up on the front drivers tub along with doing some cleaning of the engine bay. Just got tired of looking at all the mess so we wheeled the car outside on the dolly's for a quick washing. Along with the wheel tube I have removed some more metal that is in areas not needed in various areas.

Here some pics,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Doug@DBW Motorsports

1/9/09 - update

Finished up on the front drivers tub along with doing some cleaning of the engine bay. Just got tired of looking at all the mess so we wheeled the car outside on the dolly's for a quick washing. Along with the wheel tube I have removed some more metal that is in areas not needed in various areas.

Here some pics,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Doug what's gonna happen to Lucy ver 1.0? You going to ditch her shell?

27. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

what machine are you using to do the welding? I'm assuming it is AC TIG. miller?

28. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I think you are right. You can see it here [​IMG]

29. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

yep! my bad. good eye

30. slowwrx

I think he is keeping Lucy 1 until this chassis has proven to work well

31. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

FYI: I'm scheduled for a SS tune at 9AM Monday, and I'm going to annoy the ever living shit out of you guys climbing around the shop in all these cool projects while Scott tunes my Forester... Sorry. It's just the way it goes, being the coolest shop around and all... ;)

32. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

Oh, and I'm currently unemployed, so if you need a slave to grind, sand, and strip let me know. I'm down!

33. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

I already unofficially applied :hs:

34. Doug@DBW Motorsports

New car has been renamed... it only seams fiting. Lucy will be retired for LOKI

35. slowwrx

Perfect

36. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Got bored last night so I decide to play around on forza a bit. These are no where the quality that some forza painters can do. But It gives me an idea of a what direction I may want to take.

First in white
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then the same but a candy red

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Look what else I get to play with in forza.. big thanks to AG-Tuning for getting it done.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

37. undrgrndrdr15

undrgrndrdr15 Active Member

i like the candy red but through some yellow wheels to offset it!

38. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

+1 second for hitting the cone in picture 4 :p

Looks good. I like the white better though :wiggle:

39. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

White FTW!

40. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

How do you do that to your cars on forza? Ive been trying to do that for years but cant figure out how to put all those graphics on and such...

41. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

White FTW.....

42. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

So do we get no more updates on this???