Netflix vs. Blockbuster vs. RedBox etc..

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SonicBoom, Sep 30, 2011.

1. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Recently cancelled my Netflix subscription for the following reasons:
    -Price went from $16 to $21 to $25 in the last year (streaming + 3 DVD's at home, no Bluray)
    -Even though I've been with them forever, I'm on the bastard list for new releases. Takes me months on "long wait" before I get anything new.
    -Streaming library sucks. Nothing new goes to streaming. And the currently library will be reduced by 8%+ when their contract with Starz expires.

Looking for others opinions on Netflix and would like some input on other sources. I'm leaning towards Redbox since they seem to have the most kiosks in my area. There is a Blockbuster Kiosk right near me at the QT but it always has a line of gazing idiots. Do these Kiosks have a good selection and are new releases available right when they come out? Streaming is a nice feature when it was cheap, but I didn't use it that much with Netflix. But, I'm would like info on other streaming options like Hulu +, Amazon Prime etc...

2. JL889

JL889 Pandastic!

I use redbox for newer releases, Amazon Prime satisfies my tv show needs. Plus with Amazon Prime you get 2 day shipping.

P.S Death to netflix for price gouging us for less service.

3. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

Vudu charges by the movie, but the price is based on what quality you want to stream SD, 720p, or 1080p. I wish they had a subscription option, but I have no complaints about the selection or quality. In fact, I canceled my Netflix streaming account because 80% of the time I ended up using Vudu when I couldn't find what I was looking for on Netflix.

So it can be pricey, but it has worked well for me.

4. Willsanches

Willsanches Member

id use both, redbox and blockbuster.. each has new releases the other doesnt. And if you type "freecodes" to either redbox or blockbuster on google, you can easily find a promo code for a free rental. you can also do so by signing up for their emails. i havent paid for my last 3 rentals.
    also if you have a smartphone you can get the app for redbox, (im not sure if blockbuster has one) and you can reserve a dvd to pull one over on all the gazers

5. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I recently signed up for Netflix on the PS3 just for streaming only. The selection does suck and many times the sub titles aren't there. However I still watch older movies and such quite a bit so I can justify the $7.99 I'm charged for streaming only. When I stop watch more than 5 movies a month I'll cancel.

But I suspect Netflix is going to have to redo something soon because they are losing customers left and right.

6. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

@JL889- Amazon Prime is an overall program with Amazon, correct? Like you said fast shipping, I'm assuming deals etc.. How does the streaming work? Can I go thru Xbox or my BD player? I don't like watching movies on my PC....
    @J_P- same question.. Is VUDU thru PC only?
    @Will - Does BB make you have some kind of subscription? As far as I know, for Redbox you swipe a card. It charges you $1 a day until you return the movie. Is this correct and is this also how BB kiosks work?
    @Cool___ - Yes... Netflix can DIAF. I LOVED there service for the 1st few years. Movies directly to my mailbox (I'm lazy, this works for me).. Service was affordable. At 1st, no charge for BD. Then, upcharge for BD... then price hike after price hike for less service.. I'm done unless they make drastic changes. Way to take a perfect business model and totally fuck it up.

7. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

redbox and blockbuster are good for me especially after finding free codes online

8. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

I use Vudu on my PS3. I haven't checked to see if they have an iPhone or Droid app like Netflix.

9. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ If PS3 can do it, I would assume Xbox can as well thru media player or something?

10. b reel

b reel Active Member

veetle on my free WiFi from the bail bond/used car lot behind me. Can't beat free

11. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ I've used Veetle to watch a few Red Wings games before... works pretty good. But, like I said, I'm not a huge fan of watching tv on the PC...

12. Willsanches

Willsanches Member

nope, the 2 are almost exactly the same. the only difference is the selection. And blockbuster is kinda lame sometimes, it will charge 2 or 3 bucks for more popular movies instead of 1$. last time i used one i noticed the newest X-men movie was 3$

13. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

I use torrents.

14. Willsanches

Willsanches Member

^^ I did too for a while. But my coputer is crap and won't load them anymore