New Computer Build

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by 07Ltd#767, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

processor...acquired.

I'm buying this thing piece by piece :rofl:

2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Don't forget the underglow for your case mod ;)

3. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Oh. Lol. Didn't mean it like that. 7k series was amazing.
    Except for the mishap that was the 7950GX2. Lol.
    But even if it wasn't widely supported to its full potential, I've heard good things about it.
    Then nVidia tried their hand at a dual GPU card again with the 9800GX2. That kind of turned into an expensive flop also.

My friend works at MicroCenter. MC actually price matches Newegg.

www.hardwaresecrets.com

4. Matt

I got such a stern look when I told the lady I was ordering most of my parts off newegg... she told me they price match. To which I replied: you can't price match what you don't stock. ;)

5. superdoughboy4

Hahah. That's their real competition. Not Fry's.

6. longfury

longfury Active Member

Microcenter used to be so expensive and now they have prices that are competitive with online retailers. Sometimes I shop there and I work at a computer store. Their prices are lower than what my boss pays for some things(like cpu's and hard drives).

7. superdoughboy4

Yeah. The employees get some occasionally awesome discounts.
    A month ago, the employees were allowed to take 2 or so surveys, which made them elligible for paying like 200 or 250 for the i7 970, and 100$ for the i7 950.

8. Alex

Ooooo burn.

9. 2thAche

2thAche Member

Nice rig. X6, awesome proc for so cheap.

You need to OC!

"Old School" 775 @ 4.3GHz on water FTW:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  10. Matt

what the hell...I get surveys from them all the time. I don't get any discount for taking them, why do they?!

:|

11. Matt

12. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I have the same case 2thache with water cooling as well:) My watercooling system looks similar witht he radiator placement but the control unit is front mounted and takes up two bays on the front panel. I can see the fluid moving and level of fluid. I believe it was made byt he same company that makes the HAF case.

13. superdoughboy4

Nice. HAF.
    Also, +1 for all still using IDE for our Optical drives. Lol.

14. 2thAche

2thAche Member

One is IDE and the other is SATA.

I kind of have a collection of 775 rigs between home and work. Fastest dual core I have, E8400 at 4.3 on EVGA 750iFTW with 4GB, RAID 0 and 9800GT SLI.:

[​IMG]

It can hit 4.5 stable enough for benchmarks, still on air!:

[​IMG]

That was with two 9600GTs in SLI, before the 9800s.

I've got a bunch more if anyone's interested to see pics. And if anyone needs PC tuning/OC help, hit me up.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  15. superdoughboy4

!!! You don't have the dual-slot 9800GTs?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!

I want to SLi mine so bad. But I want the cards to look the same. They stopped selling them a long time ago... :(
    Plus, I think the dual-slot design is much more efficient when it comes to cooling.
    I don't need any more hot air being blown right back into the case.

16. 2thAche

2thAche Member

No need for dual slot on these. At full tilt I don't think they break 70C. I don't usually like the cards with coolers that just blow hot air around the case, but no prob with all the airflow in this case.

Look for your card on ebay. A buddy gave me one, and I found an identical card on ebay for $40.

Honestly, you'd be better off with a single GTX460 or ATi 6850/6870. I just wanted to play with SLI.

17. 2thAche

2thAche Member

18. Matt

I bought it last week, before the announcement. :|

if/when it happens, I'll get it taken care of.

actually, these are affecting the mobo. I got a mobo that does 6gb/s SATA, so my shizzle isn't really affected. :banana:

19. superdoughboy4

I was thinking about that. But then I also need a new PSU. Kind of...
    I'm sure this Rosewill 550W with dual 12V rails can handle that card, but I want something modular.
    Or at least sleeved.

Lol Yeah. Linus from NCIX made a video about that.
    Sucks for everyone with a Sandybridge.

20. longfury

longfury Active Member

It is only the motherboard that is affected. You can buy the CPU and just wait for the motherboards to be revised.

I am going to wait till Q3 and see what they release.

21. Matt

22. longfury

longfury Active Member

I am not a fan of Gigabyte personally. I prefer Asus or MSI. It looks like a nice board but I have had too many Gigabyte boards flow across my work bench over the years with failures. Especially when you consider how few we have sold during that time.

With me being a technician, I tend to have skewed views of hardware.

Oh, nice articles about the issue with the P67 chipsets...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4143/the-source-of-intels-cougar-point-sata-bug

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4142/intel-discovers-bug-in-6series-chipset-begins-recall

It only affects certain ports on the board and not all of them(not even all of the 3gb/s ports are affected).

23. Matt

I had originally had an asus board in my cart, but let it sit there for about 2 weeks. After that, started reading more and more reviews from people saying it could be a great board....if it booted. No thanks.

My current system has a gigabyte board in it and has been rock solid for 3 years. I've been very content with them.

24. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I have seen failed boards from Asus and MSI as well as Gigabyte. I personally am not a huge fan of Asus anymore. I had a few failed boards in the late 90's that pushed me away from the company. Not to say they make crap but they have lost my loyalty to them. I have 3 computers at home. One is with a MSI board and the other two are gigabyte boards. I havent had a single hiccup with any of them.

25. 2thAche

2thAche Member

I stick with ASUS and Gigabyte for OC. Gigabyte's enthusiast boards and GPUs are really solid overclockers, their mainstream stuff is soso. MSI has some good stuff too time to time.

EVGA had some great NForce boards, but thanks to intel, nVidia got forced out of the mainboard market.

Most of the good Sandy Bridge OCs seem to be on ASUS and Gigabyte.

26. longfury

longfury Active Member

Like I said, my view is skewed.

27. Matt

28. superdoughboy4

29. longfury

longfury Active Member

Every retailer that I can think of has pulled all the 1155 boards they had on hand.

It will be up to a month before the revised boards are available.

30. Matt

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/cougar-point-sandy-bridge-sata-error,12108.html

I'm planning on utilizing the 6 Gb/s ports anyway.

31. 2thAche

2thAche Member

LOL! I literally had a 2600K, ASUS P8P67 Pro and 4GB Corsair DDR3 in a cart on Newegg last week.

The Corsair RAM kit sold out WHILE I was debating on hitting the checkout button, and I decided that was a sign 'cause I didn't see another RAM kit I wanted. Thank god, right?

Longfury: I used to hate Gigabyte boards. They came back strong with their P45 boards, and the EP45-UD3P put them on the OC map as one of the best. The pics of the H2O cooled rig I posted is a UD3P with a Q9550@ 4.3GHz and it runs daily at 506FSB, which is just silly for a stable machine.

32. Alex

Damnit, all this talk makes me want to build a new pc. :|

33. superdoughboy4

Me too. :(
    But no mula. :(
    :(
    :9

34. Matt

I *think* microcenter still has their stuff out. But I haven't been in, so I dunno.

35. longfury

longfury Active Member

I know all the online stores pulled it. I think Microcenter was one of the first to pull it off of their online store. No idea about the B&M stores. They should pull the stuff soon though if they haven't.

36. 2thAche

2thAche Member

Clock it, Matt. Then just upgrade the vid. I've had a Q6600 running 3.6GHz daily for 2+ years. If it's the right stepping, they are very tough. I hated to sell mine so I use it as a secondary:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The thing is like a damn tank. 3.6 is plenty fast for %99 of people.

37. Matt

I tried to overclock it, but the mobo would just continue to revert back to factory settings. I have everything but the RAM in now, so it doesn't much matter.

38. longfury

longfury Active Member

I need a CPU fan and power supply for me to attempt to over clock my i5-760. My PS is at it's limit (550w) with the i5 and the GTX 460.

39. 2thAche

2thAche Member

If it's quality 550, not $45 550, it may be OK, but you're right that's pushing it. My main rig is only on a 600-something, but it's PC Power&Cooling and it feels like it weighs 10 pounds. There is ALOT of power draw in that rig, 3 HDD, 2 optical, water pump, many fans, OC'd mobo/CPU and OC'd GTX260.

That's quitter talk! Bring that sh1t over.

40. longfury

longfury Active Member

It is a mediocre 550. I intend to go with a Corsair 750w and a second GTX 460 along with the OC of the i5-760.

41. 2thAche

2thAche Member

Two 460s will fly. You should look at 800+ W though.

I'm not sure what to get next for GPU. The 260 overclocked can handle everything at 1080p with 2x or 4x FSAA except Crysis Warhead and FarCry 2. Those two games I have to run with no FSAA. I have a buddy who will hook me up with a second 260, but I'd have to use a hack for SLi, and I'd rather just get a GTX570 or ATi 6870 and use less wattage.

42. longfury

longfury Active Member

If the price is right, I was going to go for a 850w instead of the 750w.

43. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

i run a 260 overclocked...playing Dead Space 2 right now on full settings, haven't artifact yet

705 core
    1520 shader
    1203 memory

stays under 50*c

44. superdoughboy4

That's nice. My room doesn't get any AC so it always idles around 50-60. Which is pretty warm...

45. 2thAche

2thAche Member

Yea, Deadspace runs nice and smooth. My card can do 745/1200, shader unlinked has to stay under 1500. No artifacting.

3dmark06, 20,788

Download and install EVGA's Precision program. Enable the fan control, you can change the scaling.

If the fan isn't up enough on my card, it crashes to desktop even at stock settings on Crysis 2 after 5-10 minutes. With the fan control on (or set manually to 70%), it never crashes. The fan control program works really well and scales with temp.

46. longfury

longfury Active Member

47. Matt

:rofl:

I've already got everything in stock to build the new machine. Well, except the RAM which is being delivered today. The old machine has pretty much already been sold. ;)

48. Matt

49. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

Yeah, I run that program with the stock settings (I think 650 / 1300 / 1100, or somethign like that) and the OC settings, just load the profiles. I do the same thing with the fan...on auto, I've never seen it leave 40% load, I always manually put it at 70% for gaming. Then again, I have a shit tone of air moving air through the case

I need to run 3dmark and pcmark, I'll try and get some numbers tonight

50. 2thAche

2thAche Member

If you want to feel really bad about your GPU, run 3dmark Vantage and watch the GTX260 get crushed.

Only the newer Precision releases have the automatic fan speed control, which ramp the speed with temp automatically. The downside is that Ctrl-keys no longer work to change profiles, which I don't understand.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011