New Computer Build

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by 07Ltd#767, Jan 26, 2011.

1. longfury

longfury Active Member

Then why the monster fan? :rofl:

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I like it to run SUPER cool? :rofl:

I've never really trusted stock processor fans. Plus, I MAY want to OC in the future, but for now, I'm good with the stock speeds.

3. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Lolllllllll what aftermarket HSF did you get, Matt?

4. longfury

longfury Active Member

He has the Thermaltake Frio. I bought one last night.

My power supply decided to give me the finger and failed last night during my testing of the OC. It seems that the power drain from the video card and CPU OC was too much for it.

5. nygiant

nygiant Member

i've been experiencing an issue with my new build...maybe someone can provide insight.
    the build and everything went pretty smoothly, and i was even able to oc it a bit. but during cold boots, the computer will blue screen on start up, then restart, and go thru this cycle 3-4 times, finally initiating disk error checking, then starting up just fine after that.
    thinking it was the oc that was destabilizing my system, i've loaded the fail safe defaults, but it still happened, which is starting to get annoying. i've started to think that the pc needs to warm up or something before booting in a stable manner...thoughts?

system specs are

Mobo: MSI 870a-G54
    CPU: AMD 2.8ghz Phenom 6 core
    Ram: 3 x 2gig corsair xms ddr1633
    HDD sata: 1 x hitachi 500gig, 1 x western digital 200gig
    Lite-on dvd-rw
    PCIe x16 1.0 EVGA geforce 7600gt (carry-over from my old build)
    Wireless network card
    Cooler master 500w psu
    windows 7 pro

6. longfury

longfury Active Member

If you press F8 at start up and get the startup menu, you can select "Disable reboot on system failure" option.

Doing that will let you see what the blue screen is and then you can figure out what is causing the issue.

7. nygiant

nygiant Member

ok so far, i've had to re-install windows once, and now i apparently have to reinstall it again. during these random start-up reboots, windows apparently corrupts itself and i have no access to services ie networking, audio, programs disappear, etc and recovery/start up repair do nothing.

on one of the restarts, i got stop: 0x0000001e.
    i am thinking it might be a crappy memory slot on the motherboard which prevented me from posting with the original 2 sticks of g.skill memory i had. i rma'd that for a refund and now have 3 sticks of cosair that i purchased from weapon.

i ended up switching the stick of memory out of that slot that i believe to be faulty, to a diff slot.
    but since i still cant do shit on the computer now, i guess i'll have have to re-install again and see how things go...damn this is a pain in the ass.

8. longfury

longfury Active Member

9. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

pretty sweet

10. superdoughboy4

Nice! I always wanted one of their PSUs. I know they're supposed to be awesome.
    Especially the modular ones.
    I wish modular PSUs were more mainstream.
    120$ for a 650W??? I would not mind paying that at all, but it's a lot.

11. nygiant

nygiant Member

memtest says its not compatible with my 64bit windows

12. longfury

longfury Active Member

It is an iso image that you have to burn to CD and boot from. I have never used it from within Windows.

13. nygiant

nygiant Member

i switched memory slots, and experienced a fatal error during start up. sigh. now i'm up and running with one 2 gig stick

14. nygiant

nygiant Member

ahh i see. ok thanks

15. superdoughboy4

New mobo time.
    Don't worry man. I'm in a kind of similar boat.
    I bought a Razer Lachesis 5600DPI. It's defective so now I have to send it in to Newegg, because Razer can't help me as my case is a new one, and wait for them to send me another.

16. nygiant

nygiant Member

yea i guess my only option left is a new mobo...
    ...maybe the memory i rma'd was actually good and it was this crap msi motherboard

17. superdoughboy4

That's what it probably was. Did you RMA the G.skill before or after you got the Corsair RAM?

18. longfury

longfury Active Member

Hey now!

I like MSI. :)

19. superdoughboy4

Yeah, MSI has some good boards. They're probably a lot better than they were before.
    I'm pretty sure I've read a lot of bad reviews a long time ago on a lot of their motherboards.

20. nygiant

nygiant Member

I rma'd the ram after i got the new corsair installed - newegg received it today as a matter of fact. the computer would not even post with both sticks of the g.skill installed

21. nygiant

nygiant Member

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  22. longfury

longfury Active Member

You are right. They used to have lots of issues. Things really turned around with the Core i3/i5/i7 boards.

Which MSI do you have now? I always liked Asus. I decided to give MSI a try on the new system I built a few months ago and really like it.

I hope you get it sorted out.

23. nygiant

nygiant Member

I have the 870A-G54

24. superdoughboy4

25. nygiant

nygiant Member

ur crazy
    i already ordered that asus i posted, and put in an rma for this crap msi

26. nygiant

nygiant Member

i've got the new board in, up and running. posted beautifully. i went thru the windows install and as soon as the comp start expanding install files, i got a blue screen. i removed one of the 3 2gig stick of ram, and restarted. tried again with no issues. i'm typing this from the new install right now, so i'm keeping my fingers crossed

27. superdoughboy4

I guess putting 3x triple channel RAM into a motherboard that only supports dual channel doesn't work.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  28. nygiant

nygiant Member

yea i was guessing the same thing...i dont understand why tho. i would have liked to have 6gigs :(

29. nygiant

nygiant Member

well its back at it again. i dont even know wtf to do anymore. the only things left are the power supply, cpu, and maybe the memory

30. superdoughboy4

Blue screen like a driver error or RAM error type?
    I'm pretty sure there's a way to set it up so that it doesn't automatically restart when that happens so that you can actually read what the error is.
    Maybe in MSConfig?

31. nygiant

nygiant Member

yea i did in msconfig...gonna see what happens now.

32. longfury

longfury Active Member

Once you see the error, you can use the link I gave you and it will give you the list of Windows stop errors and may help you diagnose the issue.

33. nygiant

nygiant Member

ran memtest for 3 hours, got 0 errors. restarted the pc and got the blue screen at startup again. restarted again and got the same error code
    error code 0x00000074: BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO

34. longfury

longfury Active Member

Memtest is not always right. It sometimes can go for hours and never find bad RAM but you change the RAM and the system works. No tool is perfect.

You apparently have bad or incompatible RAM. That would be the first thing I would change. After that, the CPU would be the next thing that could be causing the issue since you have already changed the MB.

35. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

If it turns out to be memory I will gladly buy it back from you dude. It was working fine when I had it in my pc though.

36. nygiant

nygiant Member

thanks bud.
    i ordered some hyperx ram today, so hopefully, i'll have it by wednesday and see what happens again.
    i will have to install windows, yet again, bc now it wont even get to the initial splash screen. windows recovery states registry errors

37. Weapon

38. superdoughboy4

It may be the RAM then.
    Maybe dual-channel mobos don't like anything that's triple-channel? Even if there's only 2 of them in there.
    I'm not sure though. I've been out of the loop on all of this new stuff.

Also, awesome board. I love eVGA. Their stuff is always quality.

39. longfury

longfury Active Member

RAM is RAM. It does not matter if it is sold for triple channel or dual channel. The only difference is you get 3 in one pack and 2 in the other. Most ram is made by the same handful of manufactures and brand like Corsair just put them through more testing to make sure it runs at specific speeds and timings and adds things like heat spreaders. Sometimes you will see RAM from some brands that say that it works with specific CPU's. This means they actually took the time to make sure it would work(in theory). You see this more often now with the on die memory controllers used now.

With the memory controllers being moved on die with the CPU, systems have become very picky in what RAM they want to work with. I bet his system does not like the timings or the voltage the RAM wants to use at the speed they are trying to run at.

40. superdoughboy4

But you can't have your dual-channel RAM work in a triple-channel config, can you?

41. longfury

longfury Active Member

No such thing as dual channel or triple channel ram. You can put 3 sticks of RAM in a system that supports dual channel. It will run all the RAM in single channel mode. That means half of dual channel speeds.

You can run 2 sticks in a system that supports triple channel and it will run in dual channel mode.

Triple channel boards have either 3 or 6 RAM slots and a dual channel board has 2 or 4 slots.

42. nygiant

nygiant Member

well i got the new ram in and working. kingston hyperx 1600. this fucker still blue screens!!!!!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! WTFFFFFFFF
    i cant even install an OS bc it blue screens during install. consistent stop 0x0000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

i've replaced:
    ram several times
    motherboard
    cpu next???....i'm out of my return period on newegg...
    power supply next too?????

jeez man wtf...i've built pc's before and never had issues like this

43. nygiant

nygiant Member

i dont even know what to do anymore and i'm tired of returning shit losing money

44. Matt

damn....that sucks...bad.

Never hurts to contact Newegg and see if they'll exchange the processor.

45. longfury

longfury Active Member

CPU would be my next guess. If you have a power supply hanging around, try it of course. It really sounds like a bad CPU though.

46. Matt

here you go: stolen from another site.

[youtube]vPnehDhGa14[/youtube]

47. nygiant

nygiant Member

so i wrote newegg and explained the situation i was having. even though i was out of my rma period, the created an rma for the cpu, and even emailed me a ups label to send the cpu back for them to inspect and "repair." i sent it on wednesday and they should have it tomorrow.
    i'll keep everyone updated.

48. superdoughboy4

Nice. That's why there are so many loyal customers to Newegg.
    They still took my RMA for my Razer Lachesis 5600 a day after it expired. Lol.
    But I was helping Razer out by notifying them with the first Lachesis 5600 to have the problems of the older one.

49. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Anybody need some Mac G5 Ram?:sx:

I've got some practically new in box I'll let go for 1/3rd of the cost

50. Weapon

on a side note I got my i7 930 stable at 4.2ghz. Trying for 4.5ghz now.