New rotors

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by bigb996, Jul 19, 2005.

1. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

anyone have and idea what is good for a rotor? i have heard slotted is the way to go because drilled cracks. Any ideas? and where can i get some?

2. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i dont think drilled rotors crack if u buy decent ones... its a different story if u try to drill ur stock rotors... im probably gonna upgrade to drilled and slotted... from my understanding, drilled helps with cooling and slotted helps with glaze... drilled is probably better at getting gas build up out of the way

3. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

From what Siegel told us at his driving school, Slotted are the way to go, I don't think he mentioned anything about the Cross Drilled Cracking, but more that gas pockets form in the holes of the drilled rotors which can cause brake fade.

4. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

I got RacingBrake crossdrilled and slotted rotors and Hawk Pads about a month ago. They have been awesome. My only complaint is the pads dust alot!! But for me its not that big of a deal cause i wash my car alot. I payed about 200 for the rotors and i think 85 for the pads. If i did it all again i might look into carbon pads or maybe those EBC green pads which might not put out as much dust.

5. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

well im thinking im gonna do slotted to be safe. Where is a good site to get some? i havnt seen brembos for our car.

6. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

I got mine from a shop up here in Charlotte called 3SX. They have a website you can order from as well.

wrxevolution.com

7. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

check out subydude.com also. he has brake upgrade packages with ss lines, rotors, and pads for a decent deal.

i am probably gonna do one of his brake upgrades soon

8. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

thats the exact package i got and it is awesome!! you will notice a huge difference!

9. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

actually...i just added up wrxevolution.com's prices and for the exact same thing they are much cheaper.

for racingbrake front and rear slotted rotors, hawk brake pads, and motol brake fluid:
    subydude.com: $530.00
    adding up the exact same thing from wrxevolution.com: $487.80

10. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

3SX has awesome prices and all the guys over there are super nice! In addition to the brakes I got my uppipe and gaskets, diff bushings, and antilift kit there and i dont have a single complaint!

11. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

ive already got ss lines. just need new pads/rotors really

12. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

word! just out of curiousity, could you feel a difference in the SS lines compared to stock??

13. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

The Hawks that you are looking to get are the CarboTechs right. What is the difference between the Hawks and the Bobcats. I was looking at thier site, but they don't say anything.

14. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

15. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

16. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

my car came with ss lines so to be honest i couldnt tell ya. I have heard that they are definatly better. However they dont do much unless you have upgraded brakes. I could be wrong on that.

Are the ebay rotors a bad idea? i have heard not to and some say whatever.

17. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

18. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

The SS lines should increase pedal feel somewhat over stock and even more so with higher temp fluid (e.g. Motul RBF600).

19. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I did Goodrige SS lines with Carbotech Bobcats fr/rr and the difference was huge over stock....

20. BelvnAWD

Does anyone know what the "H6" conversion is? I am guessing Legacy takeoffs, but I am not sure....

21. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

The H6 "conversion" uses the larger Legacy/Outback rotors and bracket. From the research I've done, the stock rear rotor is 266mm and the H6 is 290mm...supposedly a good "budget" brake upgrade for the rear. Something I'll be doing very soon...rotors have been turned one too many times and now it's time for new ones! :D Too bad Prodrive doesn't make a rear caliper/rotor...silly, but I want to keep them matched front and rear.

22. BelvnAWD

Clay,
    If you find a decent source for the rotors and bracket, please let me know!

23. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

I certainly will!

24. BelvnAWD