New Tires - Which ones would you choose

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by wileycoyote0022, Jan 18, 2010.

?

Which tires should I choose???

1. Proxes 4 Performance Rating: W UTQG: 300 AAA Price: $116.00 ea

40.0%
  2. Proxes FZ4 Performance Rating: W UTQG: 300 AA Price: $79.00 e

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Goodyear G-Force Sport Performance Rating: W UTQG: 340 AAA Price: $114.00 e

20.0%
  4. Dunlop Direzza DZ101 Performance Rating: W UTQG: 300 AA Price: $112.00 e

40.0%
  1. Its about that time to get some new tires for the car, I have done some shopping and here is what I have found in my price range. These tires will be on a daily driver as well, so tread wear is a concern as well. I love being able to take the car up to the mountains ever once in awhile so I gotta have the grip. My options are a little limited due to the budget, but tell me what you think.

225x45x17

Proxes 4
    Performance Rating: W
    UTQG: 300 AAA
    $116.00 ea

Proxes FZ4
    UTQG: 300 AA
    $79.00 ea

Goodyear G-Force Sport
    UTQG: 340 AAA
    $114.00 ea

Dunlop Direzza DZ101
    UTQG: 300 AA
    $112.00

2. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I had the G-Force Sport on the wifes Civic a while back and they were very nice for the money.

3. I had a set too on my Sentra Spec-V before. They were ok, it might have just been the car, but compared to the Toyo P1 I have on the Subie now, doesnt even compare, but yet again it might just be the car, ;)

4. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

I know that Falken FK452 is not in your list, but that's what I would recommend.

5. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

of the 4 listed, I've had the Proxes4 on my car and they were awesome. Great dry and wet grip and good wear. I'd go for those

6. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

LOL @ 3 way tie

7. FACE

FACE Active Member

Which ever you decide make sure you consider the firestone on roswell road in marietta...buy3 get one free any tire for wrxatlanta members...cant cut copy and paste at work so either search for firestone thread or maybe someone can paset a link for you!

8. Matt

they told me they can't do any tire at the b3g1 pricing.

9. FACE

FACE Active Member

did you mentionWRXAtl

10. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

I would recommend the Falken 452. Is there a reason you ruled that one out?

11. Matt

yeah...went up and talked to Ayodele. He said most tires he can do the b3g1 free for us, but not all of them

12. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

The Toyo Proxes4 were the best all season tires I have owned. I would highly reccomend them over the tohers you have listed. I never had the goodyears but have had all the other tires you have listed. The Proxes4 beats them hands down.

13. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I have a set of the g-force sports on the Subaru. They did their "all-season" job in our Monsoon season as well as our Nuclear fallout winter. I would have much rather purchased a better tire, but that was all GTE had in stock at the time I needed them. :dunno

For my current 40 minute commute I cannot really think of a better tire to just burn through though.

14. Didnt mean to rule them out, I just went to discount tire online and did a search. Alex give me a call if you can, 404-384-0061.

15. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

GTE put the Falken 452s on my dads Jag and they are great all around. They ride nice, have good wet and dry grip and they seem to be wearing better than anything else we have put on the car.

16. Davidwrx

Davidwrx Member

What is the difference in the proxes 4 and the FZ4?

17. about 40 bucks each, and the FZ4's are only AA on temp Proxes 4 are AAA. Meaning they are sticky'er

18. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

How did you narrow it down to those selections? I haven't used any of them, but I run the Bridgestone RE760 tires and I can't complain. They have good grip on my 400+whp car, don't hydroplane and have good treadware ratings (340). I've done auto-x and mountain runs on them, and they're still holding up great. Will probably get 25k hard miles out of them.

They're in your budget, too...right around $125 / tire. I think I had firestone in Atlanta put mine on for less than $500 mounted and balanced, iirc.

19. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

My buddy had Falken 452's on his car and he liked them at first but quickly grew to HATE them. They became INSANELY loud after 10K miles and this is coming from a deaf guy (me) who noticed how noisy they were.

20. Shewb

Shewb Member

Bridgestone Potenza RE760's FTW!!!

21. Matt

I had 3 sets of them. Well, technically 2 sets of 451 and 1 set of 452 and never 'heard' them. The Star Specs on my car now are LOUD.

22. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

My cheapos on the car now are LOUD. I hate them.

23. I think I will be going with the Proxes 4's, I originally liked these now hearing everyone say good thinks about them I think Ill go with them. Thanks for the input guys.....

24. schneid

schneid Member

not sure if they are available in your size but I love my Yoko S-Drives

25. Davidwrx

Davidwrx Member

Anyone had experience with Continental ExtremeContact DWS. Had decent test results on TireRack site, good treadwear, and pretty cheap. I was also considering Sumitomo HRZ+. Any thoughts on those?

26. 07Ltd#767

ran them on my mustang when i had it, didn't like them at all...they had a floaty feeling to them, never felt planted at all

27. Davidwrx

Davidwrx Member

Sumitomo or Conit?

28. 07Ltd#767

sorry - sumitomo

29. techlord

techlord Active Member

proxes 4

30. crash#2

crash#2 Member

kuhmo spts for that price range. i never liked proxes 4. toyo proxes t1-r, now that's a tire.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  31. Jake

Jake Active Member

aren't G-force sport's by BFGoodrich??

I know i had BFG GForce KDW's on my wrx and loved them for the price...

32. I have the TS1's on there now. They are really nice.

33. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

Yokohama S Drives are in that price range as well, look into them.